Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budgie liver problem, please, help me

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan
    Thanks

Re: Budgie liver problem, please, help me

Maxollie, thank you for an explanation.
    Sorry, I am from Slovakia, not from America.
    And I had my dearest Bilko from 14. 3. 2013. So you made a mistake. My previous budgie male Kukuciacik ( Ciacik ) was about 13 years old. But Bilko could be much older then just a very young, when I bought him 14. 3. 2013. How do you feed your budgies? With what?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

I have always fed budgies a good seed mix. When pellets first became popular here in America about 20 years ago, vets promoted them as the best food to feed them. But in doing some research on line about them, and since they are man made, and not like seeds that are from nature, I decided to stick with seeds. I also feed some fresh leaf lettuce, and small pieces of whole wheat bread. I've homed budgies for a long time, and have only had a couple that died of disease. One had cocyliosis, and the other had esophagal tumors from eating too much fresh parsley. After Max died, I researched the cause, and found that budgies should never have cabbage family veggies, because they have a phyto chemical in them that can cause the tumors.

Yes, I understood you are from Slovakia. Years and years ago, my moms parents...my grandparents had friends from Slovakia, who migrated to America in the late 1800s.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan
    Thanks

Hello. Yes, you did a great job to stay at seeds. Why the pellets are so popular in the USA? Due to good business from that? I think I heard something the pellets could cause arthritis or gut infammation. I wonder whether there are some studies about budgies and lifespans which are on pellets and or seeds. Some people think that some rodybush are the best pellets, the most natural, but whether it is a fact, I do not know.
    How many budgies do you have in common? Or you do not have now?
    And which lettuce do you prefer? The glutein in bread is not a problem for a budgie? I thought it was.
    You were giving your budgie too much parsley and you think it caused the cancer? Really? I am sorry your budgie experienced something like that, but it need not be connected to the diet necessarilly. I knew that special zelery greens are recommended, for example. If it is fact, why the relative parsley would cause a cancer?
    I heard that budgies should not eat the cabbage family veggies, I told it recently to somebody, but he ( she ) told me that kale in moderation is ok. So, I do not know.
    That is an old data, 1800.... I do not know whether my country was like a Slovakia or Czechoslovakia in that time. You have never met nobody from Slovakia, but now I can be your friend. :-P
    I must admin I have remorses due to my beloved budgie Bilko. Sometimes I am bad on budgies which are young and which seemed to me to limitate Bilko or dominate him. I have such male here. Maybe Bilko was scared due to that and he was also frightened of me. Several times it happened that Bilko fell down on the floor and I was such nervous from that that I took Bilko and pressed him nervously on the bars on the cage : Here you have to be and do not go out of here! Now I have remorsed that I did it in a reflex and I hope I did not hurt him by that. He was always pretty fragile budgie. I want to apologise to my dearest Bilko once more for that.
    I was trying to message you, but not possible, probably blocked, Maxollie.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Years ago I had 13 parrots..... 4 cockatiels, and 9 budgies. Four of those budgies were babies. I had a pair who hatched them. When I retired. I moved to a smaller residence, and downsized my flock to one budgie and one cockatiel, which I still have as my flock.

I did lots of research on line about pellets, and found some info that was a red flag to me. So, I never fed them. That is not to say they are not safe, because many caregivers and vets recommend them.

I do not do private messaging here. And yes, it probably was Czekoslovakia. My grandfather migrated from Sweden. There are many ethnicities of families here who migrated from Europe and other parts of the world to America, in the late 1800s.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-30-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan
    Thanks

Hello. What does it mean pair hatched them? Killed them, or what? You gifted your birds and choose one budgie and one cockatiel from them which you are having also today?
    Can you tell me what did you find out about pellets? If you would think they are safe, you probably would feed them. I am also interested in some facts about those cabbage family veggies? Can you tell me more about that?
    Yes, USA is a mixture of more ethnicities, is not that?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The pair of budgies mated, the hen laid four eggs, and all of them hatched. Do a internet search for feeding pellets to budgies and other parrots. There is great info on the web. I found an article written by two vets about the cabbage family veggies. That was several years ago, and that website is no longer active.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan
    Thanks

I saw something about pellets and their inappropriateness, but there are many articles, some support pellets.
    Look on this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXRCkSwT08

Remove Ads