Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Question regarding Baby Budgie (3wks) leg

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

Exclamation Question regarding Baby Budgie (3wks) leg

Hello, as the title as suggested I have a question regarding a baby Budgie which is 3 weeks old.

From hatchling Mistletoe (the baby Budgie) had shown signs of having a deformity with their right leg. The deformity being that it doesn't line up correctly and will sometimes be dragged when Mistletoe starts moving about. I didn't want to treat it right away because I wanted to confirm and verify that there was something wrong with their leg before jumping to conclusion and putting them through unnecessary trouble. Mistletoe doesn't seem that bother by their leg but it can get in the way from time to time when they're trying to snuggle up with their siblings or try to rush their mother for food. A couple things that you may possibly find useful; Mistletoe has 5 siblings (all ranging 2-3 wk), Mistletoe is being fed by the mother along with their siblings, Mistletoe is missing a back toe on the right leg as well. I know the missing toe isn't the problem because one of Mistletoe's sibling also has the same toe missing and is quite an adventurous bird (already trying to leave the nest)! I'm assuming the toe missing is genetics. Would it be best for Mistletoe to be splayed for the right leg can't try to do a split? Or should I make a splint? The right leg doesn't go horizontal like a regular splayed does, it goes vertical but I figured that it would help from the right leg constantly being slightly dragged. Mistletoe still has feeling in the leg it just sometimes gets a bit wonky.

I would also like to add that I live in a Village and the closest vets either don't deal with birds or they'll only offer to euthanize them. So I rely heavily on fellow bird owners.

Thank you for any help at all!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Question regarding Baby Budgie (3wks) leg

Hi, and welcome to the community. Congrats on the new babies. I agree that it could be genetic. If, by chance there was inbreeding with the parents, meaning they were siblings, then, the DNA gene line is compromised, and some deformity or disability can occur. If it were me, since they are only 2-3 weeks old, I would allow Mistletoe, to be in nest with parents, along with the others until they can crawl out of the nest, and perch. This is my opinion only. Perhaps others would have a different view. I think it is quite early to be trying to splint, because being in a nest with all those babies and the parents as yet, there is no doubt he will try to pull off the splint, and so might the other babies, and even the parents. It is amazing how well babies who are hatched with foot problems can navigate the cage, and live a nice, and happy life, even with a disability. And not be treated by a vet at all. It is always a good idea to not disturb a nest, if at all possible, until the babies are able to leave the nest, because there is always a possibility of the mom and or dad abandoning the babies.

There are avian vets on line all of the time. Google search avian vets on line, and see what you might find. Perhaps they would allow you to send a picture of the foot, and a description, of how he is performing right now. They may charge a fee, but would tell you that before you are allowed to send them your concern about Mistletoe.

We will welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-03-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Do a search on splayed legs here on the forum and you will see lots of ways you can help out your little baby. I remember reading that you should start treating them for this when they are very young and it is a short time before its too late to start to use braces for them. One girl here years ago treated her baby just after 2 weeks old and was able to correct her babies legs. She used a makeup brush with holes cut into it. Whatever you do just use the search box on the upper right hand corner of this forum and type in splay legs and you will be able to see lots of posts about it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

Hello and thank you for your response. I have no idea if the parents are siblings or not- I had purchase them at a pet store 2 years ago and only information they gave me was that they were a pair. I completely agree- hence why I was so hesitate and waiting for replies to get another perceptive. The only time I disturb the nest would be in the morning to clean up any poop or mess made and also at night to do a head count because two of little birdies are already trying to explore!

Thank you, I will look into that and see if the avian vets online will be willing to assist me with Mistletoe by just pictures/videos. I'm completely okay with having to pay a fee as long as they're willing to help.

Thank you once again.

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

I have looked at a couple of splayed leg videos (and other topic) before they were born just in case of an emergency and I have a rough understanding on what to do. I have seen tons of videos but most videos have the typical horizontal splayed legs (them doing a split if you will), as for Mistletoe they seem to be doing a vertical "split" with their right leg. That is my concern- most videos and forums recommend splaying or splinting the leg as young as possible because it's not to late for the bones to correct themselves without any need of surgery later on in life. Okay, I will get on that right away! Thank you for your response and help.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Forums are for opinions. You might consider joining another budgie forum, to see if you will get more responses to your concerns. There are some credible ones on the web.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If you are willing to take the baby to the vets they could possibly tell you if the baby broke its leg or if its some sort of backwards splay leg. If its a really good avian vet they might not even need to xray and can feel it by touch to see if its broken. I really do hope you little baby is going to be OK and isnt going to have issues with its leg forever. I would be afraid to try to split it myself personally.

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

I apologize for the late response. The only problem with taking the budgie to the vet is the nearest one is 12 hours away and is in a different country, plus they don't guarantee being able to help me. So far Mistletoe has shown slight improvement with their walking.!

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

One could say Forums are used for such matter. I have joined a couple of other Budgie Forums to get different outlook on my current situation.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is a good idea. I hope you can get good response from the other forums. We will watch for updates on your babies!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry there is no vets near you that can help you but I am happy your are looking for help to try to figure out what is best for your bird.

Remove Ads