Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby lovebird advice please?

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

Baby lovebird advice please?

Hello, I am currently handraising this cutie (He is a peachface lovebird), his parents refused to feed one of his siblings, so I decided to pull them from the nest on the 31st.

Problem is two of the younger chicks died (one being the day after I pulled them out and the other died two days ago, the last one that died always had issues processing its food and it was deformed)...

Now the little guy who survived, he was roughly born on the 27/10/2019, I have been feeding him 1ML, he begs for more but I am scared he will have crop issues as well... So i end up giving him some warm water an hour later.

Am I feeding him enough? I don't want the little guy to die.

Edit: His formula is always 40c when I feed him, I have a makeshift brooder (a plastic container, a hot water bottle that I change every 45mins to an hour, i have special towels just for his brooder and i put paper towels down to catch poops etc)

He is getting formula every 2 to 2 and half hours, and in between I will give him warm water (boiled water at 40c) only if he needs it.

Also can someone tell me what mutation/colour he may be?

Pictures of his parents:

Peri (Female)

Jad (Male, can someone tell me why he is patchy and dull, no matter what i feed him he always looks dull.)
    Last edited by Devi; 11-15-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Baby lovebird advice please?

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Awww!! The baby is so special and beautiful and so are the parents. Since the baby is thriving, I think you are doing everything just right for him or her. And you are spot on to be careful of overfeeding. The warm water will tide him over until next feeding time.

I am not into lovebird mutations. We do have an expert member, Ketcha, from Italy, who will be able to help with that question. He does nor come onto the forum, daily, but does post about his lovies and cockatiels quite often.

We will welcome your updates! You and the baby are both doing great! Keep up the great feeding schedule with him or her!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree you must be doing good because this baby is still alive. I dont do babies or know about mutations so really I cant answer your questions either. I would try to private message Staphane (Ketcha) and hopefully he will see it in his emails the forum sends and he can help you out with the feedings. I think slowly you keep feeding them a bit more formula but have no idea when to do it or how much. Stephane would know so hopefully if you private message him he will help you out. http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...p/36461-ketcha

You little baby is super cute and I do hope you can find someone to help you out so it will get big and strong and become you new "feathered" friend for life.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Hello, this baby is way too thin. Here some 3 weeks babies

From 21st day a lovebird needs a least 4 to 5 ml per meal 4 time a day. Generally a baby turn his head away when no longer hungry. To avoid crop trouble the best thing is to wait the crop to be totally empty to give another meal.

Parents are aqua-turquoise.

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

Ok thank you very much.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thank you, Stephane for your excellent post. You are a very valuable member of the community here.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

"excellent post", very valuable member" it's a lot of compliments always a pleasure to help

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

Update on little Apollo (AKA Bud/Buddy)

I tried to feed him/her 4ml's, He ate 3.8mls, but it took them over 11 hours to fully empty. So instead of that today I have been feeding him 2mls every two hours, and I finally got some scales to weigh him, earlier today he weighed 12.4grams, I weighed him again about an hour ago (empty crop) and he now weighs 22.5grams.

I am going to slowly increase how much i feed him over the next few days.

He is slowly getting bigger, more fluffy, I am hoping his little feathers will come out soon. I have a feeling he was plucked alot before I pulled him out of the box, the other chicks were fluffy.

Here is a photo of him now

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! He sure is getting his feathers, and looks very happy too! He sure gained good weight after that food increase!!! Yaaaay!!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy that you now got good advice from Stephane and your baby is gaining some weight. Please keep us updated and I sure know I am especially loving the pictures.

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

Yesterday I thickened his formula, and today he is digesting 2.5mls in 2 hours, so I have bumped his formula to 3mls. He is walking and hopping now (inside the brooder with the nonslip mat) but if it's anywhere else his legs flop but he fixes himself up. He also climbs into my hand now (he likes to poop on me bwhahaha)
    Current Weight (as of 11am): 14.72 grams

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! He is doing great! You have an awesome journey ahead with this little one! He will be your forever best friend! And, he will keep you busy, for sure! Lovebirds are full of personality, and there is never a dull minute with them! So, get prepared for the fun, and excitement.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Babies are so strange looking but also so amazing to me. I am so happy he is slowly eating more food and hopefully he keeps on thriving and growing bigger daily for you. It must be a hard job doing what you are doing for your little Apollo. Please keep updating us and thank you so much for letting us see through your pictures his progress.

Remove Ads