where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: possessive cockatiel

Brand New Egg
    Name
    anna
    Thanks

Unhappy possessive cockatiel

Hi Our tiel Harley is 9 years old and has always spent all day out of his cage.
    He's always preferred my husband but while he was working Harley and I would start the day together before
    I'd go to work and He'd be on my shoulder every night before my husband would get home.

He would spend the rest of his evenings before bed and any weekends on my husbands shoulder but
    we mostly had quiet time when he was well behaved with me.
    There were always times when he would get really nasty and I know that was hormonal and would settle after a while.

My problem is now my husband has retired and he starts and finishes each day with Kym in his sights so he's become
    really mean and bitey towards me. We are just coming out of Spring and he's moulting but I feel its really more than that and
    it's making me really miserable.

We can't leave the house without him getting obsessed with being on Kym's shoulder and I miss those times when he'd chat and chirp to
    me. I've basically raised him and feed him so he is literally biting the hand that feeds him.

I've had him in his cage permanently for a couple of days since he last bit me and I just hate him not having the freedom he's used to but I
    don't know what else to do.

My plan is to keep him in for a week then clip his wing as I know that helps to kerb his arrogance every few months.

But what if this doesn't work?? What do i do then?

I'd love any suggestions or advice please....

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: possessive cockatiel

Welcome back! There is no doubt Harvey considers Kym to be his mate, and his behavior is very typical. Since Kym is now retired, Harvey has even more time to be a stinker! Since you are in the change of seasons, that too is not helping, because it is the time of year for cockatiels to breed, if you had a female. I think wing clipping will help somewhat, but be on your guard, because you could get dive bombed, bitten, and even chased around the house.

We have members here that have had this experience. Hopefully, they will see your post, and have some good suggestions for you! Its no fun being the "bad mom", who feeds and cares for you!! Ugh. I am sending you hugs, because I know how much you love Harvey, and take care of him each and every day!! After you clip the wings, I hope that will tamp down this behavior! Please keep us posted.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    anna
    Thanks

Re: possessive cockatiel

Thanks for your thoughts. It really helps to know I'm not alone. Hopefully someone will have some ideas that have worked.
    He's about to get his wings clipped shorter than we usually go and give us the edge in managing his freedom. Fingers crossed it helps!
    Thanks again🤞🙂🤞

Remove Ads