Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby Apollo Update

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

Baby Apollo Update

Hello friends Apollo is 4 weeks old (I am assuming he is stunted).

(Apollo two days ago)

He currently weighs 23.91grams, he started at 12 grams.

He can eat 7ml's of formula easily in one sitting now, and he has stopped begging for food once his crop is full. Also realized one of his little toes is missing (on the back of his little foot, one part is missing so he has a nubby toe like my Conure Finn.)

He is starting to get green feathers like his mum Peri.

This was about 5 minutes ago, I just finished feeding him and he fell asleep in my hands.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Winston
    Thanks

Re: Baby Apollo Update

It's looking good. I never thought this one would make it. You're doing a great job.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think you are doing a great job as well. Your pictures are so sweet and cute and litle Apollo sure is going to be one loving little bird. I do hope he has lots of growing to do very soon so he can catch up on what growth he was missing before Stephane helped you out with your feeding questions. I always wonder if all those new feathers coming in make these tiny babies hurt at all because I would think they would coming through the skin like that. Birds are just incredible to me.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Awww!! Those pictures are soo precious. You are doing an awesome job with him. He will always be very bonded to you, because the loving touch of our hands makes them feel that love. That pic of him sleeping in your hand says it all. We will welcome your updates anytime. And his name just fits him perfectly. I will be watching for pics of him as he gets his feathers and growsll

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

Alittle stressed right now. Apollo is now 5 weeks old, was eating really well up until a few days ago... I can hardly get him to eat more then 2-4mls right now. He does the feeding response for alittle, I go to feed him, then he will throw a hissi-fit and I check everything and its fine and its really stressful.

He currently weighs 34.64 grams.

Is he weaning? D: What do I do.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Send a PM to Stephane. I think he is probably enjoying Thanksgiving Holiday. I know he will respond to you there, and also here, when he sees your post. I am thinking you may need to start feeding some seeds with the formula, but, if possible,let Stephane address weaning.

He is sooooo previous!! Love the picture!

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Hi Zandra, now he's supposed to eat between 8 and 10 ml four time a day. Make sure the temperature of the formula is to 37C (98-99F), don't try to give him water between the feedings.
    Now the formula is also supposed to be a bit thicker (like a pancake mixture)
    He is a bit young to start eating seeds but you can try to put millet sprays in his box. Good luck, I'm never far from Tailfeathers forum if you have questions

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

ok thank you very much.

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

He currently weighs 40.30 grams. Im managing to feed 5-7 mls every 3hours (sometimes i leave for 6hours because he ate more and he still had food in the crop when i checked him)

I also think he is actually a she so I have been calling her Baby and Spicy Chicken (on my meds i couldnt say spiky chicken &#128514

And she is starting to perch and is drinking water (small amount in brooder so doesnt drown) and shes eating budgie seed (it is really soft, has a heck ton of millet in it) and i crushed up some vetafarm pellets and she seems to like it.

Her poops are also starting to be bigger with less water and not so... gooy looking.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! That is awesome! You are doing a great job with her! Soon, she will have all her feathers and then, please post some pics! I am. anxious to see what she will look like!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very happy to read that she is doing very good and also that she is eating a little bit of food on her own now. You really did good with her and I am so very happy that Stephane has been here to help you out with your feeding questions. I too am looking forward to seeing her pictures as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Zandra
    Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/zandra.hami...5844771841692/
    WARNING: My Green cheek conure Finn is screaming in the background because she can see me (very bonded to me bhwhaaha)

Currently weighs 47.20grams (after eating 5mls, still feeding every 3-4 hours, basically everytime I change the hot water bottle at this point)

Loves being around everyone, poops AS soon as you take her out of the brooder. Loves cuddles. While throwing tantrum's (mainly about being put back into brooder because shes getting cold) she jumps around and flaps wings... But falls asleep straight after. This bird is cheeky I swear.

She also does not want to be held while eating anymore so she ends up so messy I am trying really hard not to get formula stuck on her feathers now (anything that is on there is from a few days ago and I am slowly getting it off every time I clean her with warm paper towels after feeding)

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! She is growing, and is sooooo cute!! She is going to want to be with you all the time!! Thanks for sharing! We will watch for updates.

Remove Ads