Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sudden Budgie Death, Lone Sibling

Name
    Madi
    Thanks

Unhappy Sudden Budgie Death, Lone Sibling

My dear female budgie, Persephone, recently just passed away around 2-3 hours ago and was only around 9 months old. She was recently having symptoms(may have had these yesterday I'm unsure because I was quite busy) all day that I didn't fully realize were signs of an illness(symptoms being staying at the bottom of the cage, fluffed feathers and weakness) until it was too late. I am very concerned for her brother who was by her side all day today, he hasn't shown symptoms like her but I'm unsure if he could have possibly caught it too, I'll be keeping him in a carrier cage for the night until I clean the cage in the morning. There are not many avian vets near by so we won't possibly be able to take him to the vet until the weekend. Any possible advice would be greatly appreciated while I take care of Hades.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Re: Sudden Budgie Death, Lone Sibling

Hi, and welcome. I am so sorry you lost your sweet Persephone. It does sound like she was having symptoms of illness.

Cleaning the cage is a great idea. I use apple cider vinegar and warm water mix to clean my cages. If she had a favorite toy, I would throw it away and get one similar to it, because toys are hard to clean, and often times the paint colors come off the toy when cleaning it. Clean the perches and inside and outside the cage as well.

I suggest watching for the same symptoms, that your baby had, including sleeping alot, no energy, watery droppings, not eating seeds, or drinking water, lethargy, sometimes discharge from the nares (nostrils) and watery eyes. You would need to rush the bird to an avian vet asap! Being so small, budgies can be very sick, in a short period of time. Be sure to keep Hades warm, but not overheated. I would cover his cage with a light weight sheet in the daytime, with front side open, and at night cover all four sides with the sheet. Keep a good watch over him for a week at least. Usually bacterial illnesses happen quite fast.

Fly high and free sweet baby budgie...over the Rainbow bridge!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-27-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss of your bird and really do hope your other one is going to be OK. Sometimes other vets will be educated on treating birds as well so just maybe there is a vet in your area who knows about birds but just is not licensed as a avian vet. Our avian office here has some very good vets who do not have a degree in birds but still can treat birds. Just incase your boy shows signs of illness I would call around now to see a close by vet can see him if he does get sick.

Hugs to you.

Fly free Persephone...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Madi
    Thanks

Thank you for the advice!
    I completely cleaned the cage in the morning using warm water and vinegar, along with cleaning the toys and replacing them. We sadly ran out of seeds a few days ago and were meaning to get some this weekend but with the recent death we ordered some yesterday, so currently he is eating chopped vegetables and eggshells but he doesn't quite like them too much, he's currently eating up a cracker that I mixed in with some water but he very clearly misses his seeds. He's been pretty active outside of his cage and inside he tends to sit quietly, moving around a bit and sometimes huddling up to a small warming blanket I have hanging on a section of his cage. The only difference I notice in him are his increased appetite, increased activity, he constantly has his feathers fluffed up unless I'm handling him, and watery droppings.
    It's very hard to get to an avian vet since they aren't very near our location, gas prices being insane, and tend to have high prices for just a simple visit. This stresses us out with the upcoming holidays and whether or not we will even be able to take him to a vet.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I use to dread holidays when Boomer was still alive because he was a sick bird and he needed vets to be open. I really do hope your bird is going to be OK. In a emergency wild bird seed is better then nothing. It usually has millet in it and lovies love millet.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Also try hard boiled eggs. We grate it with a cheese grater. Boomer loved eggs that way.

Remove Ads