Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Don't know what to do

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Don't know what to do

I'm going to start off by saying that, the rest of this is going to sound very selfish and I know, but I don't know where else to post.

Basically, when my first budgie died, I immediately bought another to keep my second budgie company. They got on really well, and it's been around 4 months since I got him.

The problem is though, I no longer want him. The bigger problem is that I have no valid reason to give him away. He is mostly obedient, keeps the other one company and they get along relatively well. The only reason I'm even making this thread is because I've somehow argued myself into a corner.

"Imagine how much less mess one budgie would make." "No I bought him and need to take responsibility." "But one budgie would be so much more affectionate." "I have no reason to give him away." "But if one dies, you won't want to keep the other."

Its basically that on repeat in my head, but the problem is I've convinced myself I want one budgie. I really only want one, I know the work that goes into it, but I just think having a really affectionate buddy would be cool, and if the one I want to keep dies, then I won't want to keep the other like I've already said.

I know this is entirely selfish, but I really only want one budgie now and I don't know what to do. I can't just give him back to the pet store because my parents would be annoyed (to put it lightly), and I don't have a reason to give him away.

Also don't worry I have no intention of killing/releasing the other one, I might be selfish but I'm not cruel.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated on either getting over this weirdly one sided argument or advice on giving away the other budgie. Thank you in advance and I'm sorry this is so negative.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Don't know what to do

Having homed birds for well over 50 years, I am very passionate about them, and do consider them to be just like human children. I apologize for posting what seemed to be an aggressive post. I did not mean to come across as a stern person. I love and have loved every budgie and or cockatiel I have ever homed.

A bird forum is for sharing thoughts and ideas. And in the end, it is always the caregivers decision to decide what is best for their bird or birds. Whatever you decide is the real answer. I hope it will be the best solution for you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for your response, I think I'll need to just accept that I have 2 now, and that's the way it's gonna stay.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks for deciding to keep them both. I read Maxollies post and actually was surprised she wrote what she did here but what she said was very true and really even though it was not the sweet Ellen I have always known here I totally agree with what she said. No sugar coating what so ever but boy was she right in every word she did say. I think both of the birds will be happier being together. There has been many people here on this forum that has two or even more birds living together and if you seperate them in different rooms to let them just one out to be with you to try to get them more people friendly it does work. Bribery with seeds they love helps them learn to hop onto you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads