where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Beware of Lupron!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    insh
    Thanks

Beware of Lupron!!!

My babygirl Capri of 2.5 years passed away 2 days ago. She was initially sick during her last clutch in the Spring and lost all babies. The vet suggested the birth control Lupron when she starts mating again in the Fall as they said she wasn't strong enough to go through childbirth again.

Upon hearing this we thought in order to prolong her life will go through with it. We started with 1 injection of Lupron. We noticed it was working meaning no eggs but she had less energy and not her usual self just wanted to stay in her snuggle tent and sleep. We took her to the vet again as she was having the smelly poops associated with mating and we were genuinely worried about her demeanor.

At that time approx 1 month later the vet recommended they do the 2nd injection. After this her demeanor worsened. She stopped eating pellets and was only taking what was regurgitated from her mate Maui. She barely drank any water but was okay with eating seeds and millet. But even after eating seeds or regurgitated food from her mate, she would throw half of it up. She had also lost weight. She went from 52grams to 42 grams in 4 months. The vet just mentioned maybe she was a slim girl knly gaining weight before from constantly being pregnant.

We took her to the vet again and they suggested electrolytes and separating her from her mate Maui. We decided not to separate her as Maui was her only source of food. Again she wasn't drinking and didn't want to drink electrlytes when using a syringe. All she wanted to do was cuddle on her daybed or on our chests. She was very clingy as the days wore on and spent her final two days almost always with us snuggling in our shirts on our chests.

We found her at the bottom of the cage 2 days ago and are completely heart broken. Now that we read more and more about Lupron we realize it was a mistake. Our gentle girl that never even bit us once is now gone. Please don't make the same mistake as us and use Lupron. Do whatever you can to prohibit breeding if required if not let nature take its course if your bird is healthy.

Rest in peace Capri, your mom, dad, hubby Maui, 2 sons, and 2 brothers will always hold you in our hearts. Love you forever and will miss you dearly!
    Last edited by insh; 12-06-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    insh
    Thanks

Re: Beware of Lupron!!!

Last edited by insh; 12-06-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Awww! I am so very sorry this has happened to Capri! She was beautuful! I am crying just reading your post. I totally agree with not using lupron. I think it is deadly to use for parrots, especially the small species. They are very vulnerable to handle medications, or treatment such as lupron.

Years ago, I had a hen cockatiel, who became a chronic egg layer. She was a single hen, I had no other cockatiels. By chronic. I mean laying eggs every month to six weeks, never having a break from laying, to rebuild her body, after laying her eggs. Egg laying is very stressful for all hens, no matter the species. At that time, I did a very thorough web search on lupron, and found some very terrible info about using it, and how it does effect a hen. One cockatiel hen got egg bound, while taking lupron, and died. The necropsy showed one huge egg inside of her, so big, that she would have never been able to push it out. I also read info of hens getting neurological problems from taking lupron. I therefore, decided against it. I rehomed my hen, since she had no mate, to an aviary, where she found a mate and had one clutch of four babies. For her, having a mate, helped her to not lay eggs so often.

Quite honestly, I do not support birds eating pellets either, because I feel they need a good natural seed diet. And pellets are man made, and require huge amounts of drinking water for birds because they are very dry foods with no moisture.

I have homed birds for many years, and only in the last 15 years or so have Vets promoted pellets to be the best food for caged birds. And also, there has been a big increase in Avian Vets doing business, and they have what I call more modern ways to treat birds, and recommend pellets to feed them. I have stayed with the seed diet for all the years. I also use bird vitamins for my birds during molting time, and in the winter time, to protect them from getting illness. And also feeding lots of fresh veggies and fruits is a plus, along with plenty of calcium.

There are ways to work around chronic egg laying naturally. Without Lupron. It is always best to keep males and females separated if one does not care to breed them and have baby birds. When a person gets a bird, in my view, it is best to start out with one bird only. Have that bird DNA sexed. Then, after a few months of bonding with that bird, if the owner would like to have a friend for the first bird, then find a breeder in the area, who DNA sexes his bird stock, before you purchase one, so you will know, before you buy the bird, what the sex is. The only drawback to this approach, is that generally, if birds are purchased at a pet or bird shop, their bird stock would not be DNA tested. But at least, one could purchase one bird only.

Another possibility is to have the pair, but, if the owner does not want baby birds, then, when the hen lays eggs, each egg she lays, replace it with a dummy egg, or boil the eggs. You can never throw the eggs away. The hen needs to nest with them for 21-25 days, or until she abandons them. But do not use a happy hut or tent for her to nest her eggs, or a nestbox, because that just encourages egg laying more all the time. There is something about soft cloth that encourages nesting and egg laying. Place a piece of paper towel, folded up, in a corner of the cage bottom, and use that spot for her nest.

With a chronic egg layer, we do not want her to be too comfortable, because that signals to her to lay more eggs. So, in my view, you may have some success with her not laying eggs all the time, by not giving her the happy tent or a nestbox, and separating her from the male.

Through all the years of having birds in my home, I found that birds are always focused on procreating. Hens have nesting and eggs on their mind all the time. And males have the desire to mate all the time. You know, in the wild, birds do not lay eggs or mate, the whole year around. For them, usually a couple times of year it happens. Whereas, caged birds, it seems to me, are mating or laying eggs the year around. And, it really is not good for their health, for a hen to keep laying over and over again.

I hope this info has helped somewhat. As I stated above, you do have options to not allow the eggs to hatch, without bird birth control, which is Lupron. I am sending you hugs, and please feel free to stop by often and give updates.

Fly high and free, beautiful Capri! Over the rainbow bridge!

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high,
    There is a beautiful land of special little birds,
    like Capri! One fine day, when we leave this earth,
    We will find our little birds at the bridge
    On our way to Glory.
    And they will fly with us to that beautiful heaven of God
    And the angels!
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-06-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am saddened by reading what Capri went through in her short life. It makes me mad that the vets do not tell you the awful things the drugs they give to us for our birds do to them. I really am also very sad the vet decided to give her the second shot even though you told them she was just not right after the first shot. They should have listened to you and warned you of all the awful side effects she can get from Lupron. I am really very sad this happened to your sweet girl and sending you my thoughts and a big cyber hug. We understand your grief and in your case possibly even your anger over losing her over the side effects of Lupron.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    insh
    Thanks

Thanks maxollie and boomer girl it helps to read your comments. We are a bit angry with the vet but it was our decision to listen to them. We thought they are the experts.

Thanks for the advice on the pellets really think that it's better to have pellets supplement instead of being the major source of food which coincidentally the vet wanted us to do 7 days a week with the rest food complimenting it.

Thanks for the messages we will keep in touch on the progress of Maui and the others.

Remove Ads