Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Benny Francis and Wolfie Barry James Updates

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Benny Francis and Wolfie Barry James Updates

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I gave an update on Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis. I thought I'd share some fun little tidbits of his development with you all.

He's in LOVE with my boss! Her name is Brenda. Once in a while I take Benny Francis to the office for a short visit and he loves to sit on Brenda's arm while she works. She has a very pleasant higher pitched voice which he loves. I had tried for a year to get him to sing 'Cu-Cu-Ru-CuCu' to no avail. It took Brenda just 2 times singing it to him, now he sings it a lot. He also sings it this way: Cu-Cu-Ru-Cucu, I love Brenda.

Speaking of that song, I have him audio recorded singing 'cu-cu-ru-cucu lalalala Loma' He did the lalalala all by himself. I never sing lalalala.
    It's amazing how smart parrots are. It makes me wonder about when we humans sing lalalala when we don't remember words to a song. Is it a universal kind of thing across species???

In August, my friend Liola tried to teach Benny Francis to say 'Raiders are number one'. I finally asked her to stop because I didn't want him to learn that. But, in late October, after not hearing it for months, he said it exactly like Liola does. Birds remember things real well, it seems.

He finally learned all of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He sounds so cute when he sings it.

He loves going outdoors with me. He's quite the gymnast. First, he's sitting nicely on my hand, then all of a sudden he flips backwards and hangs by one toenail to my finger. He does that mostly when I encounter a neighbor and the silly bird wants all the attention.

I love this little chunky monkey!!

Wolfie Barry James, the White Faced Cockatiel that would not wean for nearly 2 years is finally weaned!!!
    All it took was to give him and the other birds a birdy vacation at my friend Jeff's bird store for a month.
    When I would hand feed Wolfie, I did it in a fun way. He loved it. But, when Jeff hand feeds babies, he just picks them up, puts the syringe in their mouths, shoots it in, then puts the birds back in their homes. Wolfie apparently didn't find that as much fun as with Mommy. So, on the last 2 days with Jeff, he refused the formula and began feeding himself. He's doing absolutely fabulous at home and never asks for the formula! Now that nothing is going down his little throat, he's singing a lot. And, he dances! He's gotten to be so funny! And he's much happier.

Also, my little white-faced pearl cockatiel, Smokey, turned out to have nearly identical markings and colorings as his 'brother' Wolfie. They look like twins. Amazing, since I originally got Smokey at 2 weeks old when he had absolutely no feathers.

My little feathered family is turning out to be so delightful that I had to share these things with you all.

I wish you all the happiness with your flocks that I have found! Happy Holidays to everyone!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Benny Francis and Wolfie Barry James Updates

I am so happy that Wolfie is eating his food now Pat. This is great news and now he can be a normal little birdy now. And Benny Francis has to be making you so happy hearing him talking so great. I just love talking birds and have heard many Amazon's talking like crazy. Benny must lkeep you laughing and loving him so much. I sure know when I visit my sister and Mango talks his voice always make me so happy to hear. Lucky you to have a Amazon to listen too. Mango sounds robotic to me sometimes which crack a me up.

Thanks for your great update Pat.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Hi Deanna,

Thanks for the nice words! In my opinion, the cutest thing that Benny Francis sings is 'LaLaLaLaLa'. He does that on his own. I never taught him that. When he can't remember the words to a song, or he hasn't quite gotten them, he sings 'LaLaLaLaLa'. Makes me wonder if it's a universal saying, like an onomatopoeia. I know that birds of all the species I've encountered understand 'ow ow ow' when they bite too hard or hurt me in some way.

I love learning from the birds.

It's like when Misty, my cockatiel was with me (I miss him), whenever I'd say 'oh, poor baby sick boy!' he'd cough and sneeze. He'd go 'Wee-CHOO!' for a sneeze. And his little head would bob with the sneeze. He just picked that up on his own. It's like he understood sick meant sneeze and cough. I'm impressed by how smart birds are. They can teach us a heck of a lot if we'd just listen to them for a change.
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Hi, Pat! Welcome back to you and your precious, beautiful, and super intelligent bird family. I have learned volumes in my lifetime about parrots, especially cockatiels and budgies that I have homed, but also from many posts I have read here on the forum of other species of parrots as well. I am sure God, Universe, Spirit, or a higher power of life, or whatever any person may believe about animal life, and ALL life, beautiful birds were created to teach us valuable lessons of life. Some folks speak of evolution, and I truly believe that the parrot species does have kean and marvelous intelligence, and to me, reading posts like you share about all your little pals, I have no doubt they just keep evolving higher and higher.

You have had some very courageous, and brave little birds in the years you have both worked for stores that sold them, as well as homing some yourself. And for sure, our love for them just makes them even more courageous. My little yellow budgie, Muffin, turned 9 years old in October, and for about 1 1/2 years he has been blind. But blindness has not stopped him. He can navigate his cage, play with his mirror girlfriends, eat and drink normally, and learns every sound that Penny my cockatiel makes, and repeats it. Being blind has to be a major challenge, for human folks, and I know some who also are very brave and courageous, dealing with it each day.

Thanks for the great report of all your special little friends. There is no doubt they love you so much, and you return that love to them as well. I wish for you and your beautiful pals a very Merry Xmas, and a healthy and happy new year.

We will welcome your updates any time. Sending hugs to you, and many scritches to all your flock.
    Last edited by maxollie; 12-19-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hey there Pat and good seeing you posting on the forum again...
    What great news to share about your Wolfie Barry James finally weaned!!! To me, that would be a Christmas gift in itself!! I always love reading about your fids.. to bad the la, la, la, isn't a Fa, la, la, la, la, la LOL!!!

Please give your flock a bunch of kisses, scritches for me.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Pat
    Thanks

Lol @ Carolyn! To think that Wolfie was scheduled for euthanasia when he was about 6 months old because he wouldn't eat on his own and went down to 46 grams. I'm so glad I took him home! It's so wonderful to see this little guy dancing, singing and playing so happily. My little chunky monkey! By the way, Christmas is Wolfie's designated birdthday. He's now 2 years old. He's such a gorgeous little White-faced Cockatiel. Smokey looks so much bigger than Wolfie, but they're both chunky monkeys and just right weight for their 'heights'.
    Happy Bird-thday, Wolfie Barry James, my sweet little darling!

Remove Ads