Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: kakarikis had babies, now mating again! HELP!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Debbie
    Thanks

kakarikis had babies, now mating again! HELP!

Hi, in my previous post I explained that my Kakarikis had laid 10 eggs, 5 of which have now hatched, from 23rd December until 2nd January. Mother is feeding them well.

My problem is that my parents are now mating again, and when she does come out to fly, which is getting more and more often as he is going in now, she seems to be trying to find a nest (she keeps going in my Ikea Kallax boxes).

Last time we saw them mating, it was only a few days later she laid her first egg! So do I leave things as they are with just the box on the cage with the babies in and hope she doesn't have more eggs, or do I put another nesting box on the cage for her to lay more????

As you can tell, I am not a breeder and haven't got a clue as only been the owner of these beautiful birds a few months, so any help and advise you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Re: kakarikis had babies, now mating again! HELP!

. Oh boy! This is typical pair behavior. It is impossible to stop it. And you are correct. Hen will probably lay another clutch of eggs. That is a concern, especially for the new babies. And the eggs left to hatch. I suggest you take an ink pen and write #1 on each of the remaining eggs to hatch so you will know new eggs from old eggs. And yes, put new eggs in a different nest box, because there will not be room for any more eggs in their nest.

You do run the risk of mom abandinng her current babies, so, if possible, let all the current eggs that are about to hatch remain in the box with new babies, until all the current eggs have hatched. Those will be marked with the pen, I think any new eggs laid should be removed from the current nest box, and put them in a separate nest box, but do not put the second nest box with the new eggs in the cage at all, until all eggs have hatched.

And quite honestly, if it were me, I would be getting dumny eggs at the petshop, and put them in the second box that you are keeping out of cage, and remove all real eggs, and discard them. I know that may seem cruel, but egg laying is very stressful for the hen, and she positively cannot take care of any more babies now. Her health will be compromised and she could die,

Right now, with all those 10 babies she will be caring for, she will not miss those new eggs. This is the way I would proceed.

Another alternative is to put the male in a separate cage so he cannot mate with her at all now. Keep any eggs she lays, and replace, as I suggested above, with dummy eggs, and when all babies have fledged, and can perch and fly, put them in their own cage, and have a separate cage for both female and male.

I know having three cages to care for may sound like additional work, but, the hen will never stop laying eggs, unless you separate the pair permanently. And, no doubt she can still lay unfertilized eggs without mating. But I think you have a better chance of saving hens health, if you keep the pair in separate cages, once this first clutch has fledged.

Also, be sure to feed mom and dad plenty of cuttlebone. You can also feed cooked chicken egg shells. Crush them and put some mixed in with seed cup. With all those babies, and hen probably going to lay more eggs, and feeding the babies, they both need it. Also, be prepared to handfeed new babies that are soon to hatch, more than the first five, because if hen does lay more eggs, even if you remove them, she still has all those ten to feed, and the pair now are distracted by mating again, so the new ones may not get as good of feedings as the first five did,
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-06-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Debbie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    . Oh boy! This is typical pair behavior. It is impossible to stop it. And you are correct. Hen will probably lay another clutch of eggs. That is a concern, especially for the new babies. And the eggs left to hatch. I suggest you take an ink pen and write #1 on each of the remaining eggs to hatch so you will know new eggs from old eggs. And yes, put new eggs in a different nest box, because there will not be room for any more eggs in their nest.

You do run the risk of mom abandinng her current babies, so, if possible, let all the current eggs that are about to hatch remain in the box with new babies, until all the current eggs have hatched. Those will be marked with the pen, I think any new eggs laid should be removed from the current nest box, and put them in a separate nest box, but do not put the second nest box with the new eggs in the cage at all, until all eggs have hatched.

And quite honestly, if it were me, I would be getting dumny eggs at the petshop, and put them in the second box that you are keeping out of cage, and remove all real eggs, and discard them. I know that may seem cruel, but egg laying is very stressful for the hen, and she positively cannot take care of any more babies now. Her health will be compromised and she could die,

Right now, with all those 10 babies she will be caring for, she will not miss those new eggs. This is the way I would proceed.

Another alternative is to put the male in a separate cage so he cannot mate with her at all now. Keep any eggs she lays, and replace, as I suggested above, with dummy eggs, and when all babies have fledged, and can perch and fly, put them in their own cage, and have a separate cage for both female and male.

I know having three cages to care for may sound like additional work, but, the hen will never stop laying eggs, unless you separate the pair permanently. And, no doubt she can still lay unfertilized eggs without mating. But I think you have a better chance of saving hens health, if you keep the pair in separate cages, once this first clutch has fledged.

Also, be sure to feed mom and dad plenty of cuttlebone. You can also feed cooked chicken egg shells. Crush them and put some mixed in with seed cup. With all those babies, and hen probably going to lay more eggs, and feeding the babies, they both need it. Also, be prepared to handfeed new babies that are soon to hatch, more than the first five, because if hen does lay more eggs, even if you remove them, she still has all those ten to feed, and the pair now are distracted by mating again, so the new ones may not get as good of feedings as the first five did,
    Thanks Ellen, found a dead baby today, very tiny, and two more eggs are pipping, other 5 are quite big now so im going to help coco out with the feeding and probably the new babies too when they arrive as she seems to be leaving them quite a lot now. Going to put Sunny in a cage on his own...he will not be happy, at least until these are older. I'll try and get some fake eggs like you suggest.... do you think we could hatch the eggs ourselves as we do have an incubator as hubby hatched quail previously? Shame you can't get males "seen too" like we can our men, it would solve a lot of problems hahaha, anyway thank you for your invaluable advise, much appreciated

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

I would give an Avian vet in your area, a call, and ask if that incubator could be used for any eggs she may lay from this last mating encounter. I would suggest to still allow her to nest with the dummy eggs for about 25-30 days, or until she abandons them aka does no longer pay attention to them. Then, if Sunny remains in his own cage, and of course there will be no mating, then you would not have to use dummys.

Yes, Sunny may be upset, but hopefully, if his cage is close by the new babies and her, he will adjust. And I know you can handfeed the babies, having experience already.

Remove Ads