Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie gets aggressive when he wants to stay somewhere.

Thanks

Budgie gets aggressive when he wants to stay somewhere.

My budgie loves to play both by himself and alone. When I bring him out of his cage, he flies and sits on my shoulder and perches on various objects. If he realizes the object he's perched on is unsafe, he will come to me when I put my hand out which I'm very happy about. However, when he's happy and safe on a shoulder or something familiar, he likes being there......a bit too much...and does not want to leave when it's time to go back in his cage. He bites and "squeaks" at the hand of whoever is trying to stop his playtime. He used to be like this in his cage but he has stopped and only does it on occasion. He also used to try and bie people through the cage and he would hit his head really hard on whatever was infront of him I belive he's learned his lesson on why he shouldn't violently smack his head on things, but sometimes does it if he's tired or wants to be left alone. When he bites it usually doesn't hurt too much but, sometimes, he will bite down very hard and violently pull on my finger, I was surprised at the strength he had while doing this because it was enough to hold on to my finger for a good few seconds before I can get him to let go. He does this when I give him food, too, I don't have time in the morning to feed him and I'm busy almost all day so I have to feed him later in the day, sometimes at night but I've never left him hungry. I believe he bites when I put food in because he thinks I'm preventing him from getting to it. Sorry for writing a novel but I don't know how to solve his biting issue and hope you can leave some suggestions for me.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Budgie gets aggressive when he wants to stay somewhere.

My daughters conure hates to go back in his cage as well and honestly hates it whenever we decide he shouldnt be somewhere and we try to get him to hop on our finger. He draws blood on the hand who tries to pick him up or get him to hop onto our finger. I figured out it is easier to get a piece of food I know he loves and bring it close to him so he can see it and then put it in his cage so he has to fly into the cage to get the food he loves so much. Bribery also works for my sisters big Amazon. But you have to be quick because they learn real fast once they hop into the cage you are going to close the door behind them so they will try to fly in, grab the treat and get back out before the dreaded door closes locking them in the cage. We have the food bowls where the smaller cage doors are so we can open the small doors and put the food or treats right into the bowls but they still get us now and then and we get bitten. Treat bribery has saved our hands and fingers many times especially with Mango the big Amazon, his beak is brutal!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Re: Budgie gets aggressive when he wants to stay somewhere.

Thanks I'll be sure to try to bribe him when he starts to get bitey.

Remove Ads