Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cockatiel in Convulsions

Thanks

Cockatiel in Convulsions

It's Saturday. God, why? The vets aren't open tomorrow.
    I bought a cockatiel from someone today off Craigslist, and as soon as I got him in the car he started seizing up and hasn't stopped since. I don't have anti-convulsants (made a Facebook post about it, though, in cautious hopes), but I've been trying everything. I wondered if he might have had some heavy metal poisoning so I gave him some electrolyte stuff (handmade, Smart Water + calcium + magnesium + potassium (pure supplements) + Vitamin B drops) with a dropper not too long ago.
    His owner literally cried as she was surrendering him to me for adoption and...I know it sounds stupid, but I just don't have the heart to tell her, or even ask her if he was exposed to anything. It's not like it would matter. I *did* happen to adopt him at a tire shop, so that's why I'm thinking heavy metal poisoning (despite him being in the car without much exposure to that air there)... I know she didn't understand, and I didn't message back fast enough to say "No, can we please meet elsewhere", so it was a honest mistake (please, put your weapons down...)
    Sorry for you to read such a miserable situation if you did, but if there's anything you know that could help, please let me know.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel in Convulsions

I am really shocked that Craigslist allowed the sale of any kind of animal. That's besides the point anyway. The cockatiel needs to see a vet ASAP. When you made the exchange at the tire shop, did the previous owner give you any kind of medical history such as gender, vet visits, age of bird, etc. Also, did they provide you any food? It's not recommended that you just switch foods, it has to be done slowly.. The new food added to their old food daily, usually it takes about 10 to 14 days.

If the bird was exposed to any kind of metal poisonings, the stools will be very watery and almost clear looking. Are the dropping green/white (seed) or brown/white/green (seed and pellet diet)? If they are, then there is no metals exposure.

Sometimes your better off purchasing Pedia-lyte from the local drug store or adding a little bit of Gatorade to the drinking water instead of making your electrolyte booster. Just thought I would throw that suggestion out there.

One more suggestion, when making any kind of e-commerce exchanges from any website such as Craigslist, facebook marketplace, nextdoor, etc... I recommend meeting at the local police station where there are camera's. Some having parking spots near the main lobby entrance or you can even take care of your e-commerce busisness in the local police station lobby. My nephew is a police officer and I have heard some horror stories about people getting ripped off from making purchases off of social media sites.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Thanks

Okay, so an update on this...he's actually doing much better now. I did manage to get him to an emergency vet, who found that nothing was wrong with him despite being somewhat underweight and mildly dehydrated. I gave him an electrolyte mixture that I made and administered it with a dropper. The vet said this probably helped him quite a bit. They did intravenously give him some fluids to help. They said that what likely happened is that he was vitamin deficient, and then the stress from moving in combination with that caused him to have seizures. He's doing fine now, and hasn't had one since. I've been keeping his water mineralized and been putting vitamins in it and on his seed. He is taking a while to get warmed up to me (and Starlight, who is like an annoying little sister to him, a cranky older brother) as he wasn't socialized much at all with his previous owner. His cage mate recently passed away as well, so he's definitely experienced some dramatic changes over the past few months/year. I keep trying to work with him daily, though, and he seems to be getting better.

I don't think his previous owners knew that there was anything wrong with him/his eating. I don't think they may have noticed if he was eating too little, and I also don't think they knew that they have to feed him other things besides bird seed in order for him to have adequate nutrition. Maybe it was something that only started due to depression after his mate passed. Regardless, things are looking up.

Starlight is simply obsessed with him, and wants to be near him, but he has made it very clear that he doesn't want her near him, so I've been doing my best to keep them both happy. When I'm gone, a lot of the time, I put her cage near his on a stand so that she can be close to him without him becoming upset.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy to read your update here and so happy he is doing much better now. It had to be scary seeing him having a seizure and I hope he never has them again. I hope he warms up to Starlight so he can have a buddy to sit next together and also play with.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Thanks for the update. I am very happy for you that things are looking up for him, and that Starlight is doing well too. Time and patience are on your side. I think in the future, they will one day be best friends. In the meantime, you are taking it with caution, and just taking day to day! That is the very best approach..

We will welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks

Thank you guys so much! Starlight is absolutely obsessed with him, haha! She is very YANDERE* about it. Any time I have him out of the cage, which is rarely, she starts chirping and wants to be around him. When I have her out of the cage, she always tries to fly over to him. HE does not like this very much; he is obviously quite territorial over his own cage and will try to nip at her, so I have to keep them away for now. He's getting a little bit better the more she bothers him, though.

Buddy is slowly get more tame, the more I talk to him and manage to handle him. Sometimes he'll come out of the cage and sometimes not. He still has a biting problem. He really loves to flap his wings when he comes out of the cage, which is probably a good thing, considering he appears to have very weak muscles. Sometimes I will let him fly around a bit, and he gets very agitated and winded, so I'm going to try to hold him on my hand or a perch and lower it down, letting him just wing-flap for now to build up some strength. It's obvious that his previous owners kind of just kept him in the cage and didn't do too much with him other than talk to him and whistle with him from behind the bars. He does know some whistles, too, like the cat-call and random patterns. He's even picked up on some that I do to him.

As I mentioned, he didn't seem to be getting too many vitamins and minerals from his previous owners, either, so he basically must have just stayed in the cage all day eating a poor diet. If that's the case, it makes sense that he's so weak! Birds, even after generations of domestication, still need to get out of their cages and exercise in order to maintain strength and muscle tone, and prevent them from getting any illnesses (obesity, fatty-liver, heart issues, etc.)! Hopefully in time, Buddy can strengthen up and be a completely happy, healthy 'tiel!

*Yandere, which means "love-sick" in Japanese, basically denotes behavior that is obsessive/compulsive in a romantic setting, essentially denoting the "crazy girlfriend/boyfriend" type that would do anything for/to be with their love, including harm themselves and others; this is a popular trope in anime, stories, and other media.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Awesome! You are gaining great trust with him, and also great bonding with both of them. I think you will see a big difference in him after a few weeks of a great diet, and the bonding with Starlight as well. Thanks for sharing. We will welcome updates anytime!

Remove Ads