Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: its looking like I need a new aviary

Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

its looking like I need a new aviary

Was feeding birds other day and noticed metal starting to crumble and get holes in as so old and rusty. I don't want things getting in or birds getting out. Honestly one my worst nightmares is aviary falling apart or having a hole in.

This one is very very old and could be near 20 years if that. Since was used when brought it. I dont want my birds eating rusty metal either>> I sweeped up the broken pieces.

but sooo hard to find replacements>> and most I seen 1000 dollars or more. Dad wont build me one likely as took him a year to replace rusted broken hinges and door was being held by cable ties and one hinge and then cable ties started to snap.

one the inside door barely touches ground now and is a hole in side near the fence. (Not big but any bigger be issue)

I'm kinda stressed as I cant find many places with aviaries for good price. I dont want to go back to wood as it rots and my first one was so rotten i couldn't move it from that house and when I move out I need it to be able to move.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Re: its looking like I need a new aviary

Would you be able to use a small indoor aviary? Here in America, you often see them in nursing homes, or homes for the elderly. They are pretty confined though, so may not work for you. Would you consider using bigger flight cages instead?

Do a google search for...inside home aviaries. See if you can find them that way.

Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Would you be able to use a small indoor aviary? Here in America, you often see them in nursing homes, or homes for the elderly. They are pretty confined though, so may not work for you. Would you consider using bigger flight cages instead?

Do a google search for...inside home aviaries. See if you can find them that way.
    my house small so I have to have an outdoor aviary dad saying maybe get a wooden one. But wood rots, He seems to think won't matter since thinks they wont be around when it comes time to move the aviary. But rate they going even if birds old cant be sure and unsure when I'd move out. Plus I don't want to have to buy a new aviary later when want more birds if do move out in next few years or whatever

Though wooden is more affordable. Seems not many places sell aviaries o.o So assume people just make them more often o.o

Just got to keep looking.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Its up to you but I would go for a wooden one and maybe when you move out you can deal with what to do next. Maybe you could dismantle the one you get now and move it to your new place.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Its up to you but I would go for a wooden one and maybe when you move out you can deal with what to do next. Maybe you could dismantle the one you get now and move it to your new place.
    I'm not moving yet but could in the next couple of years. Current aviary just worn out and I worry about it not being safe or things getting in
    I'm seeing what wood ones around, None have safety doors which make me nervous as smaller means more likely for them to escape I think, because currently in one i have now if I bring cage or big perch in they fly down one end. But ones I looked at I feel they be too close to door

Remove Ads