Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I have discovered eggs

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have discovered eggs

It's true. I noticed it about a half hour ago. Buuuut instead of using the provided box, they instead opted for a hollowed out chew toy.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Re: I have discovered eggs

. That is too funny!! I think your best bet now is to put the nestbox up, and inside the cage, and move the eggs, carefully, to the box. The eggs will never hatch in that toy, and the hen and male would have no room to take care of them, the babies would fall out of the toy, and.......there will be poop everywhere inside the toy!!!

Congratulations!! You just might be on the way to being a birdy grandpa!!! Yaaay!!! Please keep us posted! Provide plenty of cuttlebone for the mom and dad, and daily fresh leaf lettuce, and other veggies, if possible.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I think I may have to remove the log toy because the hen is back inside it, even though the egg has been moved.

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Stop removing the eggs. Your hen will keep laying more eggs - leave them in there or replace them with fakes. Make sure you are providing your hen with calcium as long as she keeps laying eggs.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

As I shared, getting the nest box, and putting the eggs in that box, if the hen lays them outside of the box, in my view, is the best approach. And yes..remove the log toy immediately. Any eggs laid, before you get the nest box, keep them in a cup outside the cage. Then, as soon as you get the box, put all eggs in it. A hen lays an egg every other day.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I removed the toy and placed the eggs in the nesting box. Now the hen has only had one other egg and she laid it while she was perched. Broken egg. She ignores the ones in the box. Must have gotten all those hormones taken care of.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Being new to laying, the hen often lays an egg off the perch. Leave the eggs in the box. Often times the hen does not get serious about incubating /setting on her eggs until sometime after she lays all of the eggs in the c!utch\batch. She still could lay more in this clutch , so leave the eggs in the box for about 30 days after the last egg is lsid. We never want to throw the hen eggs away, because nature has programmed all hens to sit on their. eggs. Removing them will cause her to replace the eggs you throw away, and can lead to a hen laying eggs all the time. We call it chronic egg laying. And if possible we do not want that to happen. If you would not care to have the babies, then either boil the eggs and give them back to hen, or buy dummy eggs at the pet shop, and each time the hen lays an egg substitute a dummy egg for the real egg. Leave the dummy eggs in the box, for about 30 days, or until hen no longer has any interest in them.

Remove Ads