Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Should I get brothers or start with 1 and get another down the line?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Should I get brothers or start with 1 and get another down the line?

Hi everyone.
    I have found a breeder and have put a deposit down on a cockatiel. At 1st we were just going to get one male. After speaking with the breeder he offered to give a deal on 2 birds so that they would have a companion, this breeder is amazing and really cares about his birds.
    I love the idea of 2 birds growing up together. These will be hand raised and raised together. I don't think that they would fight or wont getting along if they were raised together, However I am worried that they may not bond to us as well if they have each other.
    Can you guys give me suggestions. Should I just get 1 to start and maybe a year from now once we work on training with the 1st add a second from a different batch of babies? Or is it better to get 2 right away?

Are they happier with another bird ? I want what's nest for the bird.

Thanks in advance
    Amber

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

Re: Should I get brothers or start with 1 and get another down the line?

Hi, Amber, and welcome to the community. In my view, I would suggest starting out with one male, and establishing a good bond with him. If it were me, I would spend about a year with him before considering to get another. First of all, you need to be sure you have a male. Did the breeder do a DNA sex test on these two birds? If not, then, it is entire!y possible you could end up with a female, or even two females. They are so sweet, beautiful, and docile, but with a female, you can very well see her laying eggs in the future, and that opens up another chapter in bird care. Even single hens can lay eggs, and also, if the two the breeder has offered, end up being a boy and a girl, that would be a real problem, because if they are siblings, one should never breed siblings, because more then likely they will mate, and the hen lay eggs, and any eggs that hatch can have babies that are deformed or have special needs, due to parents being related to each other. This is just a natural life for all birds. They are created to procreate, and hatch chicks, whether siblings. or from a unrelated pair.

Some breeders do the test. Ask your breeder. And if he or she does not normally do the test, ask if they can do one for you, and what, if any cost it would be. You really need to start out with knowing the sex of the bird.

Males are people birds. They are very intelligent, and have a fun personality. At about 8-12 months they begin puberty and hormonal behavior. This can be a stressful time for them, and that is why I suggest you bond well with the first one, get over this puberty time, which lasts a few weeks, and then decide when to get the second bird. You may decide you are happy with one only. You will know for sure after this puberty passes.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-29-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sorry I forgot to mention that these birds do come DND tested which is included in their price.
    I had a female who was with us for 15 years. I always felt she would have done well with a second bird however I havent had a bird in over 6 years now.
    My female we thought was a make and she laid many eggs when a family member always "pet" her a certain way.
    I really wanted to avoid that this time around. That's why have them DND tested is a must for me.
    My concern about adding a second one later on is the possibility of fights.
    We did purchase a large flight cage for the bird.
    The breeder will only have babies ready to go to their homes mid April but were gathering the things amd info we need now for him/them.
    It's a long wait when we are this excited haha.

Thanks for the reply and for the welcome.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

I see no reason to not take these two males, because you would not have the worry about them mating, and being siblings nor the worry of chronic egg laying in a hen. I have been through that problem myself, and it is impossible to control the chronic egg laying.

Fighting can happen with both older and younger birds. At least these two are together already, and know each other. That is a real plus. I think you can form a bond with these two, by having one on one time with each of them separately. After you get them, I will post some suggestions for training and bonding with each separately. We will welcome your posts and the good news of getting them soon. If you decide to do so.

My thoughts changed abit after I read they had been DNA tested.

We look forward to your visits to the forum anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-01-2020 at 09:15 AM.