Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby Cockatiel Died

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Appu Gopinath
    Thanks

Baby Cockatiel Died

Hi, all

Am new here and I decided to join this community as I cannot deal with the heart break I feel. I got a baby cockatiel two weeks back and she was not weaned and was still being hand fed by the breeder. She was two months old. We named her Kukku. He advised me on how to hand feed her. We bought her home and I took leave for a couple days take care of her. Kukku was continuously screaming whenever she saw me..she was making a screeching sound even after being hand fed. But the moment I go away from her cage she used to start calling me by long whistles. Me and mom loved taking care of her. But one day when I was not home she flew out of the cage. We have no idea how she managed to open the cage. I found her on top a tree and tried calling her back. Poor thing tried to fly to me but she couldn't fly to the right direction. Luckily I did manege to get her back, but I found a small wound on her back and took her to a vet. Vet said there was nothing to worry about and gave an antibiotic cream to apply on the wound. Things went smooth for a couple of days and then I noticed her grip on my finger weakening day by day as she came to me from cage. Meanwhile she started nibbling ma fingers and started picking up boiled rice.And she was slowly losing her appetite for hand feed formula. I called the breeder and he said its nothing to worry about as she is starting to wean. But by next day early morning she was very tired and I took her to Vet and he said the condition was critical and she was having some kinda infection. He gave her antibiotic injection and asked me to make sure she is fed properly. She improved through out the day and by evening she came out of cage and I again hand fed her the formula vet gave me. But by next day morning she was really tired and not responding to my calls. I again rushed her to the vet. He gave a a second injection and asked me to come next day again for a third dose. But after coming back home she was not still responding to any whistles or calls. She passed away a few hours later. My mom cried for the entire day. I couldn't stand being home without Kukku. Readinging through this community I understand that as an inexperienced bird keeper the first mistake I made was getting a not fully weaned bird. I would like to get another bird but I am scared that I will fail her as well. I am completely heart broken and it stings each time I see her pic.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Re: Baby Cockatiel Died

Hi, Appu, and welcome to the community! (((((((Hugs))) to you. I am so sorry you have lost Kukku, and that you have had to experience such sorrow. I think being so very young, she probably did not have the strength to survive because her little wings were just not strong enough to be flying high up into a tree, and also, it is possible the antibiotic was too strong for her. The screeching sound you heard after she was fed is a baby sound that all babies make when they are very young like she was. They will stop that sound after 12-14 weeks of age, and after they are fully weaned.

Here in America, a breeder keeps a new baby for a minimum of 12 weeks before it is allowed to go home to a new owner. The baby needs its parents up until that time, and breeders here generally would not send a bird home until it no longer needs to be handfed, and it is perching, thriving on a good seed diet, and is completely weaned. Never blame yourself for what happened. And do not be afraid to get another baby tiel. Look around your area for other breeders. Go visit more than one. And if they try to sell you one younger than 12 weeks look elsewhere. Also, be sure that when you do bring one home it does not need to be handfed, is eating a good seed diet, and that you get to see the parents of the baby, the aviary, and are given a history of the bird.

Quite honestly, in my view, this breeder was very selfish, and had no heart to not offer you another bird, because he or she should have realized this baby would not be able to survive this accidental escape from your home, and immediately would have given you another one. I sure know, if it had been me, I would have done so, and not charged you one cent for the new one.

Accidents happen to many bird owners when they have one, and they happen with other pets too. So, be brave and confident, and find yourself a new baby to love. We will welcome your posts always. We look forward to seeing the good news of you bringing a new baby tiel into your home soon.

Fly high and free, precious Kukku, over the rainbow bridge.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-03-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Appu Gopinath
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I cannot express how much your words mean to me.
    I am planning to get another tiel soon. This time I will make sure its fully weaned. Kukku had a very short life. But I hope she felt the love we had for her.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart hurts for you Appu. I cannot even imagine you pain you feel over this tragic loss. I agree with Ellen that it could have been too strong of antibiotics and the fact that she was so young and fragile. I would definitely make sure your next bird is older and is eating well before bringing it home. It is just too risky to take home a bird that is not fully eating and drinking on its own. It had to have been so scary and sad to see your sweet Kukku up in a tree and also so sick on her last day. My heart hurts for you and I send you much love and comforting thoughts your way.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads