Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby Budgie, Odd Problems!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Atlanta
    Thanks

Question Baby Budgie, Odd Problems!

Hello everybody!
    Before jumping to the topic, let me introduce myself. You may call me Atlanta. I have had budgies and a couple of cockatiels in the past; I am not a newbie.
    I am a student, who just got a baby budgerigar- a Yellowface Type 1- Milan- from the breeder himself, on February 2nd.
    Furthermore, he(at least that's' whats been told to me) has been hand-trained & hand-fed; in which I can confirm.

When removing Milan from the carrier, he was terrified. Hiding behind the millets that were already placed inside... yet not for once had he attempt to bite me.

I had bought a big cage so that this little buddy has someplace to fly around in. Millets put on the cages' surface, the seeds in the holder, water being refreshed, cage kept clean, few toys hanging around, and a cuttlebone placed next to one of the perches.

-> Please note that I will get more perches to place around the cage and also in my room since that is where Mil currently resides until I show him around the house fully. <-

Now, this is where things get a little problematic. Milan is a good bird, literally. He is so ready to learn his environment considering he has just recently fully molted, and not only is he brave but the few attempts of flying have shown what his personality soon turns out to be. From day one, he accepted being petted and given foods to from hands. Milan likes to hang out at my shoulder, on top of his cage, even on my laptops' lid screen and elsewhere.

Keep in mind how I have not had him clipped. That is because unfortunately, no one around me wills into doing so. The vets are a bit far away and had he been acquaintance to strangers, I would have gotten him clipped by now.

Unfortunately, yesterday he crashed to the wall and managed to squeeze himself between an object and the wall. You would assume the poor thing would be terrified. That was not the case.
    As if nothing happened, Mil calmly got out and jumped to my hand, before I guided him into his cage to take a break.

Today, however, he is a bit hesitant to leave his cage. When I tell him to step up, he does just like that, yet if my hand ever gets close to out of the cage he jumps back to the perch. I did not wanna push him, but I did this a few more times before he reluctantly accepted to be taken out. Feeding him some food on his cage and then on my hands, he flew back to the cage minutes later. Does this mean he will keep his 'out-of-cage' time very short? Is he just terrified to crash again- or is he terrified OF ME?

It is a big concern. I have never had a tamed bird. All the ones I had took some time to get used to me, and yet we made it there. With this budgie though, I can't help but feel anxious if instead of trying to bond with him, I am making matters worse. I feel like every time I get close to him, I am only making the poor bird get more distant.

I have never gone this fast and got close to any of my birds before, and considering how a little accident has occurred, could anyone give me their opinion on what the next step should be? Should I slow down and let him be in his cage for the next couple of days? Should I try and force him out a bit- or lure him with food? Any ideas?

Thank you! Feel free to ask questions; I will try to respond ASAP.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Baby Budgie, Odd Problems!

Maybe he actually hit himself hard enough to have some kind of pain today and does not feel like coming out and flying. You can always try to bribe him out with his favorite seed and let him be with you for short brief times until he goes back to his cage again and leave the door open once he goes back inside. Just sit in the room with him and let him decide when to come out. It is possible he is a bit sore from his crash into the wall. Boomer got hurt a few times and he just wanted to relax in his cage for a day or two to heal. He got concussed once and he didn't come out for days except for his vet visit so we could make sure he was OK. I hope your Milan will feel better soon and come out to enjoy his out of the cage time soon.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Hi, and welcome! I think he will be back to normal in a few days. I am sure he was very frightened when he was stuck in that place for a short time. I would not force him out of cage. Let him come out on his own. It may take some time. Consider taking him and his cage to a smaller room in your home, and be sure all windows are closed, and blinds and curtains are closed. And remove any mirrors or objects from the walls. Then allow him out of cage with the millets as treats, and let him explore the small room, with you being right there close by. Encourage him to get on your shoulder, and play like he did before. Then take him and his cage back to his regular location.

With baby budgies, they are everywhere and nowhere all at once, flying high, sitting on curtain rods, and loving us having to chase them around. They are fast as lighterning, and can hit the walls and fall. Also, they can go for ceiling fans, so if you have one, turn it off, before letting him out of cage.

Do not lose heart. Sit by his cage when he is inside, talk to him, give him a treat, eat a snack with him. Play music on a CD player, or on a radio for him. I think he will be loving your company, so much so, he will come right out of his cage to be with you very soon!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Atlanta
    Thanks

Thank you both very much for your answers!

It has been 6 days exactly from the accident and Milan is, as I can admit, much more comfortable with my presence. He is much more responsive.
    I have opened the cage as suggested, but rather than going out, he simply gives a staredown and goes on with his business. I have been sitting by his cage as much as I can, talking to him, feeding him; he lets me pet his head for more than a couple seconds which I am very glad for.

Just a few minutes ago, I lured him out of the cage with millets and seeds. He enjoyed his little seed session on my hands, before hopping right back inside the cage.
    I hope this behavior is temporary; perhaps the lack of confidence or pure fear that he does not enjoy being outside the cage, at least for now. He has also been quickly flattening his wings, as trying to take off in one certain spot. I am not sure if that is an indicator of something else, or he is simply stretching & self-practicing on his newly learned ''flight'' whilst sitting on a perch.

I had a mirror hanging inside the cages' bars, but that thing was off the second he was taken out of the carrier and placed inside. I know how self-lovingly, absorbing budgies can be. I would treat the mirror to him from time-to-time but I fret that he is going to acknowledge his reflection as another flock member, or even worse, be agitated when it's' taken away.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,280 Posts

Well, budgies, even though they are small parrots , do not seem to have the problem of identifying the mirror with a flock. They just love playing with their reflection. I have homed budgies for many years. Most of those years I only had one budgie at a time, and I worked all day, with him or her being alone, so I gave the budgie a mirror for company. In my view, I would allow him to have the mirror as his "girlfriend". My budgie, Muffin, is nine years old. He went blind about a year ago, which I think was caused by too much sugar product in the seed mix he was eating. But his blindness has not kept him from his three mirror girlfriends. He can still find the mirrors in the cage, and plays with Bella, Bailee, and Pearl, every single day.

It is a good idea to have a butterfly net to catch budgies when it is time for them to go back into the cage, because you will find budgies love to fly high, and rest on curtain rods. And they are very smart, and will fly all over the home, to avoid being caught. Toweling them to catch them is so difficult. The net is much easier, and they do not get over squeezed with the towel. Yes, budgies do stand on their perch and flap their wings. He is a super happy bird to be flapping!!

He is making great progress. Each day he will be more trusting! And by the way...I love his name. We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-08-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Remove Ads