Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Tail fanning or waving side to side

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Tail fanning or waving side to side

Hi my new budgie who is still nervous when I put my hands in the cage sometimes fans his tail side to side sort of spreading it out a bit while Iím talking to him
    What does that mean in budgie talk? Is he annoyed?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Tail fanning or waving side to side

Maybe his not used to it. Just talk to him and try to put your hands first outside the cage. And btw does he have a partner?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Hi, and welcome! Actually, fanning his tail means he is liking you and his new home! That is awesome! It takes a week or two for them to settle in well, and it sounds like he is going to be your very best friend. We will watch for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

No partner .. Im thinking about getting him one but Iím waiting on a bigger cage to be restocked at my fav store. Iíve only had him for 3 weeks. thank you for your reply

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thanks for your reply too maxollie! I just want to be sure he is happy. I wonder if I should get him a male frie d .. a baby that is already hand tamed so he can see that bird isnít scared and will become tame quicker.. is that possible or should I wait till he isnít scared of me? He only jumps about out of my way when Iím cleaning each day, putting hand in cage .. he moves away from the side I put my hand but will relax and close eyes so that is some progress I guess... itís very slow progress to be honest

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Well, the problem is that not all birds get along together after we get them, but since the one you are considering is already hand tamed, and about the same age as the one you currently have, and since it too is a male, I think there is a good chance they will like each other, and yes, it just might help the one you have now. Was the one you currently have DNA sexed so you are sure you have a boy. And has the one you are considering also been DNA sexed? I ask those questions because if not, you could end up with a male and female, two females or a male. Quite honestly, if it were me, I would want two males. Over the years I have homed budgies, I have found two males is the best match. Male budgies usually get along great together. A pair...male and female...pretty much play together, and of course mate, and hatch chicks. They bond strongly together, and are not much interested in play time with us, because quite honestly, they have mating laying eggs and hatching babies always on their mind. And sometimes two females lay eggs, even without a male in the cage. And then they do not get along well, because a hen with eggs is very determined to protect her eggs, and fighting often ensues.

So, in my view, two males would be great for you. The main goal is to have them be the same age. If you were to happen to get an older one than your new one you have right now, often times the older one dominates the younger one.

Remove Ads