Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Budgie

Name
    Sevda
    Thanks

New Budgie

Hello everyone,
    I have got a new budgie 3 days ago,
    Everything has been great except that yesterday he started screaming and searching the cage allover (I would say angrily) and then jumped to the cage bottom and came back up on perch... he did this 3-4 times and he would get mad every time that we talked in the house... even reacted to music the same way! I tried covering 3 sides of its cage and he became a little more calm.
    Now I am worried because he has learned that he could stay at the bottom of the cage with no problem, yesterday he stayed there for an hour, and today he jumped down again and I tried to get it back on perch by whistling, etc.
    So, should I be worried?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,290 Posts

Re: New Budgie

Hi, and welcome to the community. Congrats on bringing home your new baby budgie! It does take about a week or so for them to settle into a new home. I imagine he suddenly realized his other budgie friends were not in the cage, and he was not too happy about it. Here are some suggestions.

Go to petshop and pick up a small mirror. Place it at the end of a perch. You also could get two mirrors, and place the other on an end of another perch. Budgies love mirrors, and when they look into a mirror, they literally think it is another bird. My male budgie has three mirror girlfriends, Bailee, Bella, and Pearl. Budgies do not react to mirrors like some other parrot species, in that, the mirrors do not make them aggressive, or hormonal. I have homed budgies for many years. Most of those years I only had one budgie at a time, and the mirrors were the best friends of my single budgie.

Also, pick up a package of millet sprays, and a swing for your budgie. They also love both. I think if you feed him some millet, letting him eat off the top of the spray, while he is sitting on the floor, or, put some small pieces of the millet in an extra food cup, and also hang a spray in the cage, he will stay on the perches rather than on the floor.

Has he started eating and drinking? It sometimes takes up to 4 days for them to do so. At this time I do not think he is sick. Here are some red flags for illness:

Budgie is all fluffed up, sitting on perch or on the floor. He is lethargic, and wants to sleep all of the time. He does not eat or drink, and the poops are very watery.

It is normal for the poops to be rather watery, until they get enough seeds and water to drink, but any of the symptoms I just mentioned above would concern me, and I would take my budgie to an avian vet for a wellness check. The thing about small birds is that when they do get sick, they can die very fast, because they often times hide illness, and by the time we get them to vet, it is too late to save them. Sometimes it is a better part of wisdom to get. a wellness check when we first get one anyway, so we can establish a relationship with a vet, in case of emergency

Covering the cage is a great idea. It does calm them. At night, I cover all four sides.

We will watch for updates. Budgies are an awesome pet! Enjoy your journey with him!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-19-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Name
    Sevda
    Thanks

Thank you very much for replying and your kind words, I installed the mirrors...
    Do you think it is normal for my budgie to hang at cage bottom? I have seen many people say it is not a good sign... I am really scared to be honest. :'(
    It is making small clicking noises with its beak or I can hear some wing movement, the droppings are normal green and white...
    It chirped at us a few times this morning and then jumped to stay at the bottom of the cage at a corner
    I also have the millet spray hanging off the cage at the end of a perch... he gets back to cage bottom after he is done eating.
    He is eating very regularly, I would even say he is over eating a little bit, I haven't seen it drink except for this morning that he was hanging at its water bowl.
    He is a little bit fluffed up from time to time but at this point I am mostly concerned about it staying at the cage bottom...
    Last edited by Sevda; 02-19-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Name
    Sevda
    Thanks

Thanks a thousand times,
    I was worried because the outside weather is super cold and he is very very scared of any cage movements, so I did not know if it is a good idea to take it to the vet at this point.
    I think I have to get an appointment for him then.
    You were very welcoming, thanks.
    Lots of love

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, Sevda, like you, I am concerned about him wanting to spend so much time on the floor. You mentioned the clicking sound. That to me is also a red flag. It could be respiratory or bacterial infection. Would you be able to find an avian vet in your area, to take him in for a check? I want to say that avian vets are usually quite expensive, so I wanted to prepare you for that expense ahead of the visit.

Did you get any guarantee with him when you bought him? Some petshops do give a certain number of days for them to survive. I know it would be terrible for you to have to return him to petshop, but if he was sick when you got him, in my view, if there is a guarantee, then I would be taking him back to the petshop, and asking for a replacement.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

If you doi take him into the vet, take him in his cage, if it is not too big. If it is a big cage, then, go to petshop, and get a small carrying cage. Just be sure to get one that is made well, and very secure, so he cannot get out and fly away. Since it is very cold there, cover the cage with blankets to keep him warm when you take him. I am so sorry this happened, because I know how exciting it is to get a new budgie. It is a real plus though that he is eating well and drinking I will be praying he will be OK! Love you too! Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-19-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Name
    Sevda
    Thanks

Actually no, there is no guarantee for pet survival where I got him from. So that would not be an option...
    Yes there is an avian vet/hospital here in Montreal which is not actually far but I did not ask them about expenses to be honest. at this point my budgie has started to struggle a way out of the cage and is very furious... constantly coming up on perch, and going back down to the floor and chirping. I hope I can get an appointment for today.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope your new budgie will be OK and happy your taking him in for a visit to the vet.

I need to really stress that please look at your travel cage or carrier and make sure it has good fasteners holding it together. I went to the vets once and watched a girl get out of her car with her bird in a small carrier and the bottom was ready to fall off! Thankfully we seen it and told the girl right away or for sure her bird would have escaped. I put hooks on all our carriers doors and then put twist ties on the bottom piece that attaches to the cage. I used small pieces of hemp string for mine after I found out that twist ties have zinc on the metal inside of them. Yes, I am overly cautious but our birds are very fragile so to me safety is critical when it comes to our sweet fids (feathered kids).
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sevda
    Thanks

Hello again every one,
    So I called the avian vet and they said the earliest appointment would be for Thursday evening. Meanwhile, my budgie started to be active around the noon (2 hours after I posted this thread) and had more chirping sounds and still struggling a lot with its cage, so I let it it out of its cage and made the room safe... but after 45 minutes or so he has started looking sleepy/tired. He constantly closes its eyes and looks sleepy, but not fluffed at all...
    I put a big shallow water bowl for him in case he wants to bathe, and a food cup near where hes hanging.
    He has been quiet since I let him out of the cage and flew around the house once or twice... now only sitting at the dining table on a chair cushion xD
    I just hope he is alright though... he does not look very energetic to me and it makes me both sad/worried...

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope he is OK and just being relaxed and at ease at his new house. Your right it is hard to tell if they are OK and since we love them so much we worry about them. I always question if a bird is OK just because my poor Boomer was a sick boy his last years with us. Maybe since your bird is still young he is homesick and misses his Mom and other siblings still. It will help you feel better about his condition if he goes in to see a vet because they will listen to his heart and breathing and other checks they do. If you really feel like he needs a vet right away most vets do have emergency appointments available but sometimes they are a bit more money.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.