where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP! Advice needed ASAP

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenny
    Thanks

HELP! Advice needed ASAP

Hi, everyone. I overheated something in the microwave and the plastic dish melted a bit. It smells really bad! Iím so scared for my lovebird. Sheís normally in the living room which is in a separate room as the kitchen, but no doors in the living area. We moved her to a smaller cage a put in her a bedroom with the door shut and an air purifier running. Iíve also opened all the kitchen windows and Iím running the stove fan and have a large box fan in the doorway of the kitchen pointing away from the rest of the house. Iím afraid to open the windows of the room Coco is in because itís winter in MN and sheíll get cold.

Is she going to be ok???

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Re: HELP! Advice needed ASAP

Hi, Jenny! You did a great job isolating her. I would keep Coco in that bedroom for at least 24 hours. By tben, your home should be cleared of sny toixins. And keep the air purifier running. I suggest, if your air purifier has an ionizer button on it, I would not run the ionizer. For me, I feel safer without running the ionizer. I read on line years ago, it is not good for birds. The purifier itself is fine, just not the ionizer.

Accidents do happen to all of us with our birds, on occasion. So, forgive yourself. If you see her all puffed up, lethargic, sleeping all the time, shaking or shivering, or not eating and drinking, or watery poops, take her to an avian vet in your area, immediately. We will watch for updates!! Sending you and Coco hugs!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-26-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope your little girl is OK. I think these things have happened to most of us and by what i read in your post you did everything right to keep her safe. I know we have done things like this here and it is very scary when its happening and also afterwards because we all know how tender and fragile our birds are. I will be looking for a update here as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jenny
    Thanks

Hi there and thanks for your replies! We left Coco in my sonís bedroom until this morning, and sheís now in her big living room cage again with the air purifier next to her. She seems her normal happy self, but Iíll make sure to keep an eye on her for the next few days to make sure she stays that way. It still smells a bit ďsmokyĒ in the kitchen, but not that horrible chemical melted plastic smell.

Weíve sure loved getting to know Coco! She seems to enjoy chirping back and forth with us, and jumps around her cage from toy to toy, always having fun. She still is very shy about us getting near her though, so we havenít had her out much. When we do, we just let her explore on her own, because she will NOT tolerate being held. Trying not to push her but I canít wait to be able to hold her and kiss her little yellow head! <3

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Aww!! She will be fine. That was a great idea to put her in your son's bedroom. Please stop back often and share updates! We would love to hear all about Coco, and how she is progressing with your family and you!

Remove Ads