Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Red factor canary breeding

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Red factor canary breeding

Hello,

I have a pair of red factor canaries and recently 5 chicks hatched. I have bought colored food but the canaries are not interested in it. How can i make my canaries eat the colored food?

Thanks

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Red factor canary breeding

Since you did not say what kind or how you're supplying it this is hard to answer. There are many kinds of products used for this and many top exhibitors/breeders have a specific one they like, but I do not recommend it for someone to use unless you are experienced. With that said, the easiest to use is Quicko's red and you just mix in to the soft food mix you feed your birds. Most people will smash up boiled eggs and sprinkle it in so it gets mixed up in it. There are plenty of egg food substitutes, manufactured egg food mixes by many companies also made specifically for this. Go online to ABBA Bird Products and there you can purchase their egg for mix and feed it directly, its easy to use.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I forgot to add. Color feeding is a art form. It takes years to figure out mixes and how to do it to get it perfect. There are as many ideas on how to do this as there are breeders raising red factors. So everyone has their own way. What I will add is ALWAYS remember birds molt out, so do babies. So when they do the very last place they grow in new feathers is their heads. You must back off the amount of red food you give, or lighten the mix right before and through the period when their heads are growing in. This is because you do not want to, what is called burn the bird. It is not really burning, it is just called that because the head does not need as much color food, so if you do not back it off the birds head comes in much deeper read then the rest of the body, thus they look like they have a sun burn.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have frosted Red Factor Canaries. I have tried all natural source (red pepper, carrots, tomato etc) and colored food. they do enjoy natural colored food more tho but they dont consume colored food (artificial food). I did try certain formulas which i got from utube and other online sources but non worked properly. The only method which worked is using the colored (water). I bought the water coloring product and they drink it as usual. Hopefully these will work when the chicks start new feathers.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Sounds good, hope you get suucess