Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White wart kind of stuff on Baby pigeon from Balcony

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nj
    Thanks

Question White wart kind of stuff on Baby pigeon from Balcony

Hello all,

A small baby pigeon has been nesting in my balcony for a while now (I believe 3-4 weeks since it was born). I've been trying to protect her from crows, cats and what not, and so far have succeeded in doing so.

But as she is growing big, I'm seeing 2 big white wart/dead skin kind of thing on her left side, one around eye, and another around beak (did not find it anywhere else from a distant examination). Additionally the baby seems to be normally moving around and all, but I'd expected her to fly away till now, not sure if any of above is keeping her from doing that.

I am not sure if it a wound because once I heard a crow make some noise around her nest, and by the time i went to shoo him away, the baby had fallen down from her 1 feet high nest on a plant pot. I'm not sure if baby fell down just because of moving around with fear, or crow poked her down? Anyhow, I'd then put her back using gloves, and her parents didn't bother. They are still feeding him every day 3-4 times I guess.

My question is:
    I've been searching online, but I am not sure if this is Pigeon Pox, some other disease/infection or just a wound.
    I'm linking the pictures here, please suggest what could be it and how could I help her somehow. Also please consider that I am a total layman for this task, and you may have to guide me with non-birdie jargon. Thanks and hope to hear back from someone!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: White wart kind of stuff on Baby pigeon from Balcony

Hi, and welcome to the community. I admire you completely for trying to save this baby's life. To me, that wart looking spot looks like it could be a fungus. You are smart to use protective gloves when interacting with the baby. I suggest you look in your area for a ....wildlife rescue. Try finding one on line, or call a vet in your area and explain the situation, and ask them if they would know of any rescues, or even an animal or bird hospital that you could take the baby. Ideally, it would be great to take the mom and all the babies, but that may not be possible. Wildlife rescues rehabilitate and treat the babies and other birds medically. And when they are healed, they release them back into the wild.

I hope this info will be of help to you. P!ease keep us posted.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nj
    Thanks

Hi Ellen, thanks for your prompt reply and the welcome. I am from Pune, Maharashtra, India, and from my past experience in rehabilitating a baby bird I found - we in India yet do not seem to have a good community/support for our friends from nature (this is based off my experience, I could be totally wrong!). Still I will try and connect to Vets or Pet shop owners to find and help her. I will definitely keep the forum posted.

Meanwhile if you/someone can also suggest that this baby looks old enough to fly away right? I mean based on my research online, she should have taken a flight by now (as her yellowish fur have all shed), so maybe my assumption of something hindering her capacity to fly is correct? Any clues?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I totally respect your remarks, and understand your plight for not having get birdtreatment offices, and othercaregivers to address concerns with your birds. I must say to you I admire your beautiful and natural country of India and all of you who live there.

It is entirely possible, if the bird had a fungus, it could lose the fur\down you are referring to. Do some research on line on....fungus in baby or young pigeons...and see if you might find some article that would list the possible treatment, for natural healing of a fungus in a pigeon or other wild bird. I do agree, after looking at this picture again, that this bird does not look like
    a newly hatched bird, because, here in America baby pigeons are not that big.

I am sorry I do not know treatments for him. If I could be of help in that regard I would sure post them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-03-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We had Trichomonas infect our wild pigeons here but I am not sure if this is it or not. I found a pigeon in our yard that looked just like your baby on your porch and sadly it did not survive. It had a worse case of it then the one you have and the growth actually covered it nares so the poor bird must of not been able to even fly. If it Trichomonas (Canker) it must be advanced because i really think it starts out inside their mouths first. If this were me I would look up meds for Trichomonas (Canker) and try to see if you can find any to give to this baby. Sadly if this is Canker it is advanced out of its beak to his face and it might be too late to help it. I sadly had to watch the one in my yard for about 3 days and it did die. I cried for it and at the time I didnt know that bird rescues were close by to my house and it possibly could have been saved. My heart hurts for you because if you are like me it makes me so sad when I see a bird outside struggling with a disease. I have been able to save a few wild birds by taking them to a wonderful rescue about 30 minutes from my house now that I know we have rescues close by.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nj
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen for the kind words! These days its rare to hear such things specially when everyone across the planet is prejudiced about color, races, cultures, religion, borders and what not. Ah! and please don't feel sorry, you and the forum has nudged me in right direction with your replies!

And Deanna, I'm sorry to hear that. Yes I too feel the similar pain, and to be honest, at times I even pray to - either cure otherwise to - end the suffering for the poor animal. I am glad you have found a place nearby, so hopefully you will not go though similar pain of watching the bird suffer helplessly. Oh and I've been researching online, and this does not seem like Canker to me. But again I am no vet to make a judgment!

And a merry update from my end is: Since last 2 days, I've been visiting a few vets and pet shop owners, and most of them did not have any direct answer, so they'd asked me to get the bird to them. So yesterday, I attempted to catch her, and you know what, she flew away to the next balcony! I was so happy to witness this, this is a relief, since she is able to fly!

Then I waited till evening, but she kept visiting back and forth (even her parents were around). Today morning too she was not there, but I saw she visited in noon, and looks agile and healthy (except the existing nodules that you saw in picture). So I will wait for her to return and settle down, and then catch her carefully.
    Last edited by nja; 03-06-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: typo

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! I hope she will keep returning. And thank you as well for your kind words. Years ago, here in America, we had a popular country music star named Glen Csmpbell. One of his songs was entitled Try a Little Kindness.

Here are some of the words:

You've got to try a little kindness.
    Show a little kindness.
    Shine your light for everyone to see.
    And if you try a little kindness,
    You will overlook the blindness,
    Of the narrow minded people,
    On the narrow minded street. Namaste

We will watch for your updates.Hopefully those nodules will disappear soon!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love that your baby flew away and hope whatever it is will just go away. No doubt you are happy it flew but inside if your anything like me you still will worry about it.

Ellen, I love the song.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Just seen this thread and I admire nja for looking after the baby pidgeon. I am so glad that it had a very happy ending.
    Both Ellen and Deanna gave you in regards to some kind of canker growth or perhaps mold or fungus.. Wild birds are prone to many diseases and it was very smart of you to wear gloves when handling the baby pigeon.

We try not to judge people here on this website. Many of us here just want to help many fellow bird owners and bird lovers. Unfortunately, there are people who are prejudiced in this world and usually I just put them on "ignore". Also, you will run into a few "know it all" types as well and again, I just ignore them.. Thank you for the kind words.

I love Glenn Campbell myself...Like a Rhinestone Cowboy.. LOL!!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nj
    Thanks

Guys! I can feel a lot of love flowing around in the forum! I'm really glad I posted here, reading your warm replies makes my day! Yes, I'd hummed along Glen's Rhinestone Cowboy at times at late night-outs (along with John Denver, Eric Clapton, Eagles, Pink Floyd and many more..), but did not know about Try a Little Kindness song, thanks for sharing it, beautiful song indeed! On similar lines, I've always loved Heal the world by MJ.

About the young pigeon, I was not able to get a hold of her (as I could hardly see her around). Still concerned, I visited the vet with full resolution photographs, he suspected pigeon-pox and gave me prescription antibiotic drugs and multi-vitamins for her. I have bought the drugs and wanted to feed her, but again I am not sure what time she comes/does she even come back.

I am thinking of keeping her portion of drugs and multi-vitamins diluted with water around my balcony. I will make it really mild, so that even if some other bird drinks it, it will not harm them. I will do this only for 3 days, and the idea is simply if she drinks it even 1-2 times a day, it will help her somehow!

Hopefully this is not an absolute dumb idea, and it's safe enough for her and other birds! Please suggest!
    Last edited by nja; 03-11-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

There is always lots of love here especially with us who have been here for a long time and become cyber bird friends. We have gone through good times and sadly some very sad times here together.

I would do the same thing with the meds, it couldnt hurt them if it was not strong but could help her out a bit hopefully. I do recommend you change out the water daily because the meds in it could possibly make it go bad.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nj
    Thanks

Great! I'll do it then. Thanks Deanna!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope you have good news for us that it is drinking the water.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Your young little pidgeon must have learned the song by Pink Floyd "Learning to Fly". Are you still adding med's to the drinking water? I would also like to suggest if you have any organic vinegar (Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider), put a few drops in their water. That was suggested by vet last year, it's amazing on what kind of magic vinegar does.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Nj
    Thanks

Yup, learning to fly should be the way to go for the little one..lol! And good tip there on the organic vinegar, it's a readily available - I'll add a few drops to regular water bowl I keep for birds.

Update on the little Pigeon: Not really sure it's a good news or not, but I've been waiting to see her for a while. I just wish everything is well with her. Do these pigeons leave nests and go away far off?

A parallel thought is that, if her nodules have naturally shed off (since last time I saw they looked dry!).. so maybe she had visited sometime, but I was not able to recognize her