where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby cockatiel slow growth.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Exclamation Baby cockatiel slow growth.

Hello, Guys hope you and all your birds are doing well. I have a pair of cockatiel. below is a detail of them:

Male - Hashree -> pearl grey
    Female. - Rudri -> pearl pide

Both are actually siblings. Hashree is from the first clutch baby and rudri is a second clutch baby. They were in the same cage and before 1 month ago they started mating. Well, I thought it was casual but then they started nesting and laid many eggs. I kept throwing them but rudri laid a total, of 8 eggs. But they keep nesting so I separate them. But rudri laid 5 eggs. So I just gave her a nest box, and put those eggs into it. I don't want to mentally disturb her, as she was fully tame but due to this things he kept biting me.

Now before 16 days ago, baby hatched. The other 4 eggs were broken. I think this is her first time so she may be cracked it.

The problem comes now in the picture. The baby's growth is not as expected. he is 16 days old but yet he looks like only 8 days old. he has very fewer feathers on his body. his yellow feathers are not shaded. his curst feathers are not grown enough. I have other babies too, they are doing very well. But this baby I don't know what happened with him.

before a week he had splay legs, but now he can stand on his legs. Well, I changed some of his bedding things in the nest box so that he can stand well.

Guys, please help me to diagnose and recover that baby.

here is the video of that baby.

https://i.imgur.com/8nz1htL.mp4

Thank you in advance guys
    Last edited by Premal.khetani; 03-09-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: Baby cockatiel slow growth.

I cannot access the video, probably due to my security setting on my device. I believe not long ago I shared with you about the possibility of special needs babies, as a result of parents being siblings. This most probably has happened to this baby. And, in my view, other than keeping it safe, fed, and cared for, there may be little you can do for the baby. I would watch the others as they grow to see if any conditions occur in their development. Evidentally, this little baby had a really flawed DNA. As you know, all DNA is individual, and like a snow flake, all being unique and created by Nature.

I would suggest the best way to prevent this DNA result, is to have your babies sexed early on, so that you can immediately separate boys from girls after the test result. This will prevent mating and inbreeding.

In the meantime, watch the baby, love him or her, as I KNOW you will, and just take one day at a time. We cannot anticipate how he or she may develop. It could comp!etely surprise you, and this baby will be able to live a fairly normal life.

I suggest you get a small cage for the baby, and put a mirror in the cage for company. It will be easier to set up a small cage, so that the baby will not have navigation challenges

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    I cannot access the video, probably due to my security setting on my device. I believe not long ago I shared with you about the possibility of special needs babies, as a result of parents being siblings. This most probably has happened to this baby. And, in my view, other than keeping it safe, fed, and cared for, there may be little you can do for the baby. I would watch the others as they grow to see if any conditions occur in their development. Evidentally, this little baby had a really flawed DNA. As you know, all DNA is individual, and like a snow flake, all being unique and created by Nature.

I would suggest the best way to prevent this DNA result, is to have your babies sexed early on, so that you can immediately separate boys from girls after the test result. This will prevent mating and inbreeding.

In the meantime, watch the baby, love him or her, as I KNOW you will, and just take one day at a time. We cannot anticipate how he or she may develop. It could comp!etely surprise you, and this baby will be able to live a fairly normal life.

I suggest you get a small cage for the baby, and put a mirror in the cage for company. It will be easier to set up a small cage, so that the baby will not have navigation challenges
    Thank you maxollie. I will do as you suggested here is a link of video may be now you can access it.

https://i.imgur.com/8nz1htL.mp4

If still not accessible. I will share images.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww, I love him or her!!!!. I will say "he" ust for writing. He looks absolutely well fed, very clear eyed, and alert. It also is a possibility he was in a second clutch of eggs. Maybe he was the last one in the clutch. I think sometimes that one is smaller, especially since there were so many eggs. Just let him grow and thrive at his own pace. I have seen babies that looked much worse then he does. I still recommend a cage only for him, until we see how he gets along in the coming weeks. Just keep feeding him and caring for him as you are now. You know, I can tell by looking at him that he feels loved by you! LOVE is universal. I absolutely know that our love for birds, brings them through illness, and other challenges of life.

I do not recall if I told you that I have a little yellow budgie, Muffin, who is 9 years old. About two years ago, I noticed he seemed to not follow my fingers up and down or sideways, so, I was sad to know he was probably going blind. And yes, he did go blind, and I think because of a chemical that was in his seed mix. It is called maltrodextrose and is put into human and bird and animal products here in the USA. It really is a chemical alcohol sugar, and I think it caused Muffin to get diabetes, because I noticed after he would eat his seeds, he would have spells of shaking, which I think was because of that sugar alcohol. But you know, he can navigate his cage well, find his food and water, and also can play with his mirror girlfriends, on the end of the perches. And he sits on his swing and chatters away, just like he always has. Here is an example of special needs, and my precious little budgie, that loves life, and loves me, and nothing will stop him from living his happy life.

I will pray that your precious little baby will be the very same way, no matter what special need he may have. Please keep us posted and take a day at a time with him. To look at him, I would think he was just a baby like all cockatiels are when they match. Quite honestly I was expecting to see a frail looking baby. I sure don't see that at all! ((((((,Hugs))))). Ellen
    Last edited by maxollie; 03-10-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Update :

Hello Friends.

Yesterday I went to my Friend Riddhi Trivedi. She found that my birds and babies have vitamin D3 deficiency. So I am changing my setups and environment accordingly.

Regarding baby update here are some images and videos.

Point is when a baby is relaxed than he just can't stand on his legs. and he just gives up to stand. Well, I am hand feeding him. and also applying the paste for his leg support. The paste is made from limestone and Sesame oil. I hope he gets well soon. Also, guys help me so that I can give him a better life.

video1

video2

video3

video4: It's a paste for his leg support and warming his legs. His legs were so cold.

video5

video6

Hope he will get well soon.

Thank you guys.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! Poor little baby! I wonder if he may have neurological problems. What does your friend say about him? I am glad she found the vitamin D3 deficiency. Can that cause baby special needs challenges?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Hello Guys,

Here is an Update of Garg(Yes he is male :P).

Just look at his pics and videos. He is all doing fine. Long story short I gave papaya extract mix with food mix and coconut water for several days and boom there he is.

https://imgur.com/qFHZdNb

https://imgur.com/t71C5hb

https://imgur.com/rhtJTtS

He always all the day chirps continuously.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow!! He is amazing!! Where did you get info to try those items, or did you just try them on a whim! I have fallen in love with him!!!! He is sooooo precious!!! Congrats! You did a great work on him!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Wow!! He is amazing!! Where did you get info to try those items, or did you just try them on a whim! I have fallen in love with him!!!! He is sooooo precious!!! Congrats! You did a great work on him!
    I got some information From Riddhi Trivedi and some from Susanne Russo. They instructed me how to do things to make him survive. I follow the exact steps for him. and here he is

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is positive!y awesome! Those two are highly educated to give you such great info! I am so happy for you that you have them for support when you need them!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very happy to see that your little baby has gotten better because of the great help you gave to him. It is amazing how well the right thing can do this and make them nice and healthy. I admit some of your videos hurt my heart seeing him struggle but seeing the last few pictures made me smile because he is doing so good now. Your a great bird momma to all your birds.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.