Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cockatiel stroke or seizure? URGENT

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Cockatiel stroke or seizure? URGENT

A few days ago I noticed my cockatiel was losing balance off his perch, more so then usual. The next day he couldnt walk, kept limping and sitting on his perch all fluffed out. When he went to climb down I saw his left foot was hanging and when he would use it, it wouldnt grab on properly, like it was weak. He is still eating and drinking but he is not able to walk, he is pulling himself by his beak, his left foot is hanging and closed together forming a fist. He wont open his foot even when I try to. And when he sits, his left foot is in the back, he doesnt move it to be next to his other foot he just sits on it while its sticking out to the back. Im so confused and worried, did he suffer from a stroke? Is he dying? I dont know how old he is, he's a rescue. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow but am worried. He has seen the vet already and they told me it was just an infection causing him to be dizzy/equilibrium is messed up and gave me medicine to give him. He hates the medicine and always whimpers when I give it to him, he has been on the medication for the last three days but no improvement at all. Please help me!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel stroke or seizure? URGENT

I am so sorry to read your post and if this was me I would really try to to get him to a vet today. It has to be freaking you out and I sure know how I would feel seeing my bird like this. I really do hope if you cannot find a vet to see him today that he will make it through the night so you can take him tomorrow. In the meantime make sure you are keeping him warm and give him his favorite foods to eat. I would pad the bottom of his cage and put a small bowl of water and food there. Spray millet is easy for them to eat and also to digest. My heart truly hurts for you. I watched Boomer when he was still alive having some major issues like your bird and I will never forget the feelings that I felt seeing him this way. Sending you big hugs and lots of love to you and please let us know how is doing.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

We took him in and he was apparently worse then three days ago, we had to put him down without knowing what caused him to suddenly fall ill. Our vet says she will perform a free autopsy for us, maybe because she couldnt save him in time? Thank you so much, I am now trying to not cry in front of my last bird to keep her depressed free. They were bonded and Im scared the other bird will die from heartbreak.

Name
    Naples
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thevaultingstars View Post
    We took him in and he was apparently worse then three days ago, we had to put him down without knowing what caused him to suddenly fall ill. Our vet says she will perform a free autopsy for us, maybe because she couldnt save him in time? Thank you so much, I am now trying to not cry in front of my last bird to keep her depressed free. They were bonded and Im scared the other bird will die from heartbreak.
    Omg, that's so sad :( May your little cockatiel fly free. Sorry, but I have no idea on what could of caused him to fall ill.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

First, I am so sorry to read about the loss of your precious cockatiel. Trust me, many of know how hard it is to lose a beloved fid, they are more than just pets, they are members of the family. Secondly, infections can do strange things to a birds equilibrium, the vet was right about that, but I wouldn't single out the probability of either a stroke or a seizure. Necropsy (an avian autopsy) should give you the answers you are looking for. I am sending you virtual hugs and once again, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved cockatiel.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011