where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Need urgent advice on sick cockatiel that is rapidly deteriorating

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lucy
    Thanks

Need urgent advice on sick cockatiel that is rapidly deteriorating

Hi guys, I just joined the group and I could really use your advice on what has been a rough week. I've had my two cockatiels since I was a teenager. The older one is about 20 (healthy as an ox) and the younger one is 16. The younger one, Dorian (pied cinnamon cross) started sneezing a lot earlier this week, but then it seemed to subside. He acted normally so I assumed it was just allergies. This morning, he was sneezing again and there was blood on his beak. He wasn't lethargic, but he was sometimes breathing with his beak open. My parents took him to the vet and he got very stressed out. He had a seizure at the vet's office (he prescribed some antibiotics). Since bringing him home, he's been having ticks all day (maybe convulsions?)--and he's been progressively getting weaker and weaker. He can't stand on his own and leans over to one side. At first he could perch on my finger, but now he's so weak that his feet have almost no strength. He's making little grunting and squeaking noises with each tick (twisting his neck around) that are breaking my heart.The vet prescribed a small dose of CBD oil to help with the anxiety, but said that there wasn't much more to be done given his age and his current state.

I feel awful that taking him to the vet might have made him deteriorate much more quickly. I've tried to make him comfortable, but know that he's suffering. Is there anything else that I can do for him? I feel like he's slowly starting to let go and it is gut wrenching. This seems to have come on so suddenly. I'm not ready to say goodbye to him. If he dies, I don't know if I'll be able to forgive myself. Any advice on his to ease his pain or anxiety would be greatly appreciated. He and his brother and like family to me. I can't imagine losing him in this manner.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Need urgent advice on sick cockatiel that is rapidly deteriorating

Hi Lucy and I read your post. First, your parents did the right thing by taking Dorian to the vet. Even when my tiel goes to the vet, he gets stressed. But please keep in mind, when birds get ill, they "hide" their ailments before you realize they are even sick to begin with. In the wild, if they show any kind of illness, they show vulnerability and predators will get them. When any kind of pet bird shows any kind of illness, many times it's too late. I know you feel awful and Dorian can't tell you what is wrong, but you did the right thing by observing your birds condition and having your parents take him to the vet.

One thing I do have and you many want to consider is purchasing an avian scale. I have had mine for many years and it has saved my birds many times. I weigh my bird once a week, usually on Mondays when I get home from work. I record the date and weight. Tiels are usually weighed in grams and my little guy usually is about 100 grams, but he is big-boned boy.. With my past experience, I have always maintained an average weight of my birds of at least 85-90 grams. I am suggesting it as a tool to help you benchmark as to where your bird should weigh and if you see a significant change in your birds weight, it's usually a "red-flag" that there is a problem and you will know it before the bird shows any kind of symptoms.

Many of us here understand what you are going through and it's hard when you see a "family member" like your precious Dorian suffer. Please keep us updated on his condition. Sending you virtual hugs.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Hi, Lucy! I am so sorry for you and for having to go through this very trying and sad time, with your precious Dorian. Do not ever blame yourself. It was proper and very important to take him to the Vet, because there really was no home rermedy that could help him, and you were trying to save him. I hope he is some better today. And if he has flown to the Rainbow Bridge, I know that will be so heartbreaking for you. But he no longer will be suffering, and is free from pain. We all have gone through losing our birds at some point in time. It is very sad!! You and your family are to be completely admired for having your two birds for soooo many years. That tells me you all are awesome caregivers, and I know in my heart both of them love you, and that love kept them alive and thriving for all those years.

I am sending you hugs ((((((((())))))))))))) and please know we are here for you anytime you need to share or talk about the situation with Dorian.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Lucy
    Thanks

UPDATE:
    A big thanks to everyone for your kind and supportive words. I genuinely do appreciate them and they mean a lot during this difficult time. I'm sad to report that Dorian passed away on Saturday, the 14th in the morning. I was holding him in my hands when he passed and through some strange coincidence, I was listening to Sam Smith's song "Stay with Me" as he slowly faded away. Deep down, I know that I shouldn't feel guilty and I know that he was probably hiding that he was sick. Still, 16 years is a long stretch (more than half my life) and he's left a big emptiness both in my home and in my heart. He wasn't the friendliest or the most affectionate, but he was sweet in his own "cranky old man" type of way. He was low maintenance and goofy and such a pretty little fellow. He always loved being on a swing and singing to himself in the mirror. Seeing the empty swing and his unused mirror breaks my heart.

His cage-mage is obviously affected by Dorian's absence. He seems to be screeching more and demanding more attention than usual. I've been trying to spend more time with him, but I worry that he's stressed and maybe depressed? Would it be too soon to consider getting him a new friend? I don't want it to seem like I'm replacing Dorian so quickly, but I also don't want my other bird (Kiko) to be lonely. What would you all recommend doing?

Thanks to you all for your advice. I will definitely keep that in mind going forward. Big hugs to everyone!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Oh Lucy, so sorry for your loss. We do truly feel your pain and how difficult it is to lose a beloved fid. I personally do believe that birds grieve and that is what Kiko is doing. Let Kiko adjust and when you are ready, then get Kiko a friend. Yes, it will be unbearable due to his screeching, I have gone through the same with Woodstock when I lost Piper. You just feel bad that they lost a friend too. Time will eventually ease the pain for them. The Sam Smith song "Stay with Me" will have a whole new meaning for you. Sending you virtual hugs.

Fly Free over the Rainbow Bridge Dorian.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Lucy!! You have my sincere sympathy. I am so sorry your precious Dorian has passed away. He was a unique and loving tiel. I can picture him singing to his mirror girlfriend. He was the sunshine of your life. I too believe that Kiko is really missing Dorian. You are correct to spend more time with him. Even sit by his cage and talk to him, and play soft music on a radio or CD player for him, and give him a treat, sit by him and you eat a snack too!

I feel you could look for another friend for Kiko, like Carolyn said, whenever you are ready. In my view, you need to find an older tiel, not a baby, and perhaps one about 2-5 years of age. You could look for an older one in your area, at a bird rescue, or perhaps a bird adoption agency. Sometimes a bird as old as Kiko has challenges getting adjusted to a very young bird. Kiko would possibly be dominating a baby, and also could be aggressive toward the baby. Whereas an older tiel will be more accustomed to older birds. I would suggest another male, because I think introducing an older female, may be pretty difficult, since Kiko is quite old, and could get aggressive with a female.

These are just my opinions. We really cannot tell if two birds will get along until we put them together, but, I feel the info I just wrote, is worth considering when you are ready to get a friend for Kiko!

Fly high and free beautiful Dorian! Over the rainbow bridge. We will welcome your updates anytime. I am sending you (((((hugs))))!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

I hope your bird will fully recover. Does he ( she ) show any other symptoms, like changed poops, loosing weight, eating less?