Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Budgies Cere issue?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

New Budgies Cere issue?

Hi yesterday I brought home my first pair of budgies! They are still quite scared but seem to be slowly getting used to things, however I have a concern about Lemons peak, which seems to be crusty? The other one, kiwi cere seems fine
    https://m.imgur.com/a/7YduPDx

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: New Budgies Cere issue?

Hi, and welcome to the community. Congrats on bringing home your budgies. Your little Lemon is beautiful. The cere is brown and crusty because you have a girl, and she is into hormones right now, and would be in condition to breed and lay eggs! I am hopeful the person you got your birds from did not sell them to you as babies. Post a pic of the other one at your convenience. Usually, a female is about 9-12 months old when their cere turns brown and crusty. Ideally, a pair should be about a year to 1 1/2 years old to be mature and ready to be responsible parents.

Be sure to feed them plenty of cuttlebone and fresh leaf lettuce, along with their good seed mix, and water.

We will watch for updates. I am interested to see if you have another female, or a male.

Name
    Naples
    Thanks

Re: New Budgies Cere issue?

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. Congrats on bringing home your budgies. Your little Lemon is beautiful. The cere is brown and crusty because you have a girl, and she is into hormones right now, and would be in condition to breed and lay eggs! I am hopeful the person you got your birds from did not sell them to you as babies. Post a pic of the other one at your convenience. Usually, a female is about 9-12 months old when their cere turns brown and crusty. Ideally, a pair should be about a year to 1 1/2 years old to be mature and ready to be responsible parents.

Be sure to feed them plenty of cuttlebone and fresh leaf lettuce, along with their good seed mix, and water.

We will watch for updates. I am interested to see if you have another female, or a male.
    Yup, this is exactly why. Please don't worry, crusty cere is completely normal during the breeding season.