where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Potential hormonal problem at albino female budgie

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

Potential hormonal problem at albino female budgie

Hello. I am posting another thread after the last thread about death of my beloved male Vitko in january.
    Vitko s partner Cicinka ( albino female budgie ) was nesting pretty long time. She has 4 babies with Vitko, 2 of them were gifted to one family, another 2 stayed with us. Cicinka was bough in november 2018 with red eyes, but not just naturally red eyes of albino budgie, but she also had chlamydia. Also my last 2 budgie males Vitko and Bilko who died were found chlamydiossis positive.
    Whereas Vitko and Bilko were found positive, I did another 45 days doxycicline treatment against chlamydiosis. Then I gave my budgies some probiotics in the water after the antibiotics treatment.

Cicinka is such strange budgie. She is not very healthly budgie, sometimes she makes noises like squeezing, or how to say it, mainly when I disturb her in the night with a light. She is more apathic during the day after she left the bird box. She is eating, probably also drinking. when she is disturbed by young budgies, she reacts, but then goes back to her sleepy position. Maybe she got some fatty liver during being in the bird box. She is like sleepy, but not much fluffy. Her poops looks normal, but during the night she has a little greenish - yellowish small wet areas around the poops.

I will try to send the pictures of those poops here.
    Despite 2 doxycicline treatments on chlamydiossis, she still has red eyes, like inflammated. She does not seem to be thin or loosing weight, I think.
    My vet.recommended me to interrupt the probiotics treatment now and give her iodine solution into the water, maybe together with calcium.

I can not get to my vet this month probably, because the boundaries are closed and I will not enter the Czech republic from Slovakia.
    I also do not know whether it is bad for Cicinka when she is often disturbed by young budgies ( her children ). The thyroid is not enlarged such much that my vet was able to feel it by touching. I feed my budgies mainly good quality seeds, some basil during last days, carrot or apple. I was recommended to skip any wet food for a few days to see the poops and their image.
    Maybe I should give sprouted seeds in the iodine solution.

can anybody advise me?
    I can not add a picture probably... do not see that option here.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Re: Potential hormonal problem at albino female budgie

In my view the disease she had is very difficult to arrest or heal. Your budgie, most probably, will not ever be as energetic as she may have been. Perhaps you could consider putting her in a small cage, set close to the other budgies. That could possibly help her feel more secure, and be able to get some energy back. I suggest asking your vet what seeds, foods, and perhaps even vitamins would help her to heal. In my view, the squeezing sound is because of her respiratory system. She may have lung disease, or the disease she was treated for, caused lung damage.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

Maxollle, I do not want to keep her in the cage, she would not be satisfied there, I know. She is not playing with her children, but when they fly into the another room, she is calling on them. I do not know what problem does she have, but surely nothing is impossible, also to return back her health. I know nothing about her past, I bought her in the store. She had chlamydiosis which caused her inflammated eyes, and this stayed after the treatment. If chlamydiosis caused this respiratory or thyroid problem, I do not know. Probably the lungs problem is not able to be detected.
    my vet told me that I am feeding my budgies correctly, despite it is mostly seeds, maybe carrots, apples. My budgies do not want grass seeds or canary seeds.
    I was recommended by one woman from Czech who is a specalist in the birds nutrition, that I should feed : grass seeds ( dry and wet ), humac pro powder, bee pollen, iodine supplement, herbs like chickweed and dandelion, brewing yeasts, sometimes a little vitamine D, maybe dried insects, or sometimes a carrot. Not feeding them eggs or regular seeds mostly. And in no case feeding pellets.
    I do not use to give vitamine supplements to my budgies, but I have some Korvimine from Germany which is used also for reptiles. But sprinkling it on seeds - the powder can go to a bottom.
    I was told by some people that animals can catch our psychical conditions and can get sick when the owners are anxious, angry, etc. If it is truth, I do not know.
    Do you prefer to give some synthethic mutlivitamines to your birds?
    Can I add a picture here?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,284 Posts

Here in America we can buy birdy vitamins in a bottle for our birds. If we feed pellets, however, we don't use the vitamins. I prefer seeds to pellets. I put a few drops of vitamins mixed in with the seeds about once every ten days, and especially when birds molt or have been sick.

Only you can decide what you feel is best for your birds. Yes, go to home page, and click on gallery. You can upload pics there. You will need a photo account on line to upload the pictures. You should be able to find one on line.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

Hello, Maxollie. you add drops intot dry seeds, or? Once in 10 days?
    I did not quite understand your second part, sorry. what is a photo account?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

Hello, Maxollie. you add drops intot dry seeds, or? Once in 10 days?
    I did not quite understand your second part, sorry. what is a photo account?
    I see a gallery, but what with that?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have been using the gallery to download pictures here if I want to post them. All the sites that use to allow you to download pictures online now charge and the photo gallery here is free. Once you load the picture just copy the web link it gives you and you can post it here on your post.

Did they ever give you a probiotic after the medicine was done? Its possible her gut flora needs to be boosted because most medicines will kill the gut flora in it. The description of her night poops sounds like a awful lot like Boomers did when he had Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY), also known as Megabacteria. If you look up AGY see if any of the others symptoms are something you girl has been doing as well. If you do not have a vet around a tiny bit of pure apple cider vinegar (with the mother still in it) in water might help her and so will probiotics. I doubt its AGY but probiotics are really good for there gut flora and might help her out.

I am sorry she is feeling bad and Ellen gave you great advice but I just wanted to add in my thoughts for you to search online to see if it might be whats happening.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

Boomer girl, sorry, I did not understand your point about the gallery. I am not able to understand that, I do not know how to add the pictures.
    I am From Slovakia, my vet is from Czech. I was giving all my budgies doxycycline against chlamydiossis, because my recently died budgies Bilko and Vitko were find positive on chlamydia after death. But this primarily did not kill them. Bilko had hepatitis and Vitko lymphoma of the liver and spleein. I was giving my 4 budgies antibiotics to be sure they will not suffer chlamydia, and then maybe 10 days I was giving probiotics. I have probiotics here ( Protexin professional ). But my vet. told me to interrupt probiotics for some time now and to add iodine for Cicinka into the water now, maybe together with calcium.
    I still can not find here how to add the picture.
    It seems to me that her poops are ok during the day, but this night she had again some wet spots around the poops, less green than the previous time. I do not know why that urate part gets running during the night. Probably now Cicinka does not have AGY, because that antibiotics have wide range on many bacteria....

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

No, I think my vet. told me clearly also by the blood and poop tests, I do not have here megabacteria ( AGY ), but the fact is they can hide inside after antibiotics and can occur again and need not be detected in the blood. So, what now?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

I have to create my own gallery album into my account to post the pictures, or? I do not understand.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

I have an album here now, but I am not able to add those photos here, I do not understand that, sorry.
    I was written :"Please drag & drop an existing attachment on to "Drag Files Here" or add a new one by pressing "Add Files"."

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

I added photos into my album, but they dissapeared for the second time from there.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

thank you all, that you are willing to advise me how to add a photo on this stupid site.

Remove Ads