where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Droppings sticking to vent

Name
    Naples
    Thanks

Exclamation Droppings sticking to vent

Hello,
    I just saw one of my budgies has a lot of droppings sticking to her vent. She is 7 yo ♀️. She had this problem a few months ago but now it looks like it's coming back. I currently cannot visit a vet becuase one of the staff members tested positivefor Covid19, an extremely deadly and contagious viral infection and they have closed. What can the droppings sticking to the vent be a sign of, and also, becuase they aren't falling out and are building up and adhering to the vent very quickly, is there a possibility that they can block the vent?

Thank you 🙂

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: Droppings sticking to vent

Hi, and welcome! What seeds or pellets do you feed. If you feed pellets, they are dry foods that tend to make droppings firmer. Seeds have moisture in them, and pellets have none. Try giving your bird more liquids. Try feeding some rinsed with cold water leaf lettuce. Take a very small amount of unsweetened pure organic apple juice, and sprinkle it over the seeds and or pellets. That will help to loosen the droppings. Also, feed some millet from a sprig. Hang a sprig in the cage. All birds love millet. Millet is full of moisture as well. And if your bird is tame, take an eyedropper, and give several drops of fresh water a few times a day. Usually the poops will improve with more liquids given on a daily basis.

You can take some warm water on a paper towel, and gently wipe the poop area, if the bird is tame and will allow you to do so. I hope this info will be of help to you. We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-02-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Name
    Naples
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome! What seeds or pellets do you feed. If you feed pellets, they are dry foods that tend to make droppings firmer. Seeds have moisture in them, and pellets have none. Try giving your bird more liquids. Try feeding some rinsed with cold water leaf lettuce. Take a very small amount of unsweetened pure organic apple juice, and sprinkle it over the seeds and or pellets. That will help to loosen the droppings. Also, feed some millet from a sprig. Hang a sprig in the cage. All birds love millet. Millet is full of moisture as well. And if your bird is tame, take an eyedropper, and give several drops of fresh water a few times a day. Usually the poops will improve with more liquids given on a daily basis.

You can take some warm water on a paper towel, and gently wipe the poop area, if the bird is tame and will allow you to do so. I hope this info will be of help to you. We will watch for updates.
    My bird just eats regular seeds. She is not tame, she actually bites me like crazy if I touch her. Can you please share more details on how to loosen the droppings, I am very worried because they are building up and there are more and more on the vent every day so I'm afraid that the droppings will block the vent eventually ��

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Well, her age may be a factor. I think it would be a good idea to take her in to an Avian vet for a wellness check. Older budgies are prone to intestinal problems and sometimes develop tumors in that area. It is apparent with the buildup of poop there is something not right in her ability to poop naturally.

Name
    Naples
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Well, her age may be a factor. I think it would be a good idea to take her in to an Avian vet for a wellness check. Older budgies are prone to intestinal problems and sometimes develop tumors in that area. It is apparent with the buildup of poop there is something not right in her ability to poop naturally.
    My vet is closed due to an outbreak of COVID 19 in our area, which is a deadly and highly contagious virus. The bird was unfortunately diagnosed with a kidney tumor a few months ago, we were supposed to bring her in for treatment options last month but we couldn't becuase they are closed. :-(

Name
    Naples
    Thanks

How do I clean out the droppings from her vent?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ivan Vanca
    Thanks

I do not think it is due to age.... Your budgie is eating primarily seeds since her birth probably,as many budgies... try to give him chickweeds or dandelions if available. Or basil plant.... Or sprout the seeds. When the budgie has some digestive problems or has fatty depostis on the belly, the poops can get stuck there... MAybe you could buy another budgie, partner for your current budgie.:-)

Name
    Naples
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Vanca View Post
    I do not think it is due to age.... Your budgie is eating primarily seeds since her birth probably,as many budgies... try to give him chickweeds or dandelions if available. Or basil plant.... Or sprout the seeds. When the budgie has some digestive problems or has fatty depostis on the belly, the poops can get stuck there... MAybe you could buy another budgie, partner for your current budgie.:-)
    OK. It dosen't matter becuase the bird I was talking about died a couple days ago. She had a kidney tumor.