where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Canary Egg bound

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yasmine
    Thanks

Canary Egg bound

I have had canaries for some years now and witnessed females egg bound before. Some i managed to help, for others nature took its course.
    Yesterday I woke my birds and one had to lay an egg. She stood in her nest with slightly raised wings. I did not see her try to "push" out the egg. I waited.. nothing happened. I tried everything I have read and tried before. Oil, water bath and what else there is..
    She left the nest and sat puffed up a little. Later that day she returned to her normal self. She is eating and pooping it out again, is active and chirps. But the egg is still there. I have her separated and warm.
    I have seen this once before last year. Last time I took the bird to the vet the next day, and he massaged the egg out. But she didn't make it. So I am hesitant about taking her to the vet this time again.

Is there something I can do to help her get rid of it?
    Last edited by Yasmine4; 04-04-2020 at 03:23 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yasmine
    Thanks

Re: Canary Egg bound

Update
    I don't think I mentioned that the egg went back soon after her attempt to pass it, away from the cloaca, thus not blocking everything.

Over the day I kept her environment damp. She was normal the whole day and even nibbing a lot on the cuttlefish bone, which made me think that she possibly was producing another egg.
    The egg moved toward the cloaca at night. I had her in a water bath for some time but nothing happened. She still seemed fresh. I put oil and gel on the opening. I was desperate. It was over her bed time and I didn't want to exhaust her. So I put her back into the cage I had her in, keeping her warm and a wet cloth for moisture, and said goodnight.
    The next morning I checked on her and there.. a cracked egg lay there. I changed her water, and there.. i saw another egg. She had successfully passed two eggs.

She is flying around now and eating. A bit quiet. She needs time to recover, I know I would.. It was a long fight. I am so happy and proud of her.
    Should I call it luck? Or the way of nature?

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Lack of calcium does not just cause problems with the formation or needed calcium to form eggs it also has a lot to do with the ability to lay them. My recommendation for the first thread you wrote would have been to get calcium in her asap. Vitamin E with Calcium and D3 is essential at this time. Even giving her egg shell will help. You stated she went to the cuttlebone. I personally don't find them useful in this aspect. The only good a cuttlebone is good for is keeping their beak filed. You have described a need for calcium now. There are many products on the market. Morning Bird Calcium plus is very good, (liquid Calcium you add to their water which includes Vit d for absorption) Hatched egg works as well you can find both at Laraine's Lady Gouldian on line. Vitamin E can also help, a simple source for this that works great is Nekton E, or if your on Laraine's site, Dr. Marshalls E Powder.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yasmine
    Thanks

Thank you for the insight!
    I did give her calcium (liquid) and fish oil containing A, D and E vitamins (the vet once recommended it for the stomach).
    I am not confident with the liquid calcium in their water. Is it a good idea to give it to them the whole year round? How do you recommend I use it?
    What I have is a 33g per L liquid calcium with D3 and magnesium.
    The label says 10-20 mls per L, 1-2 days a week for non-breeding birds, and 5 days a week for breeding birds.
    Last edited by Yasmine4; 04-05-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

As I stated earlier, I use the Hatched egg, which is real egg shell fed directly in a little finger feeder dish by itself, so they eat what they want. I then use the Morning bird Calcium plus, per the package instructions, which I give twice a week in their drinkers. You certainly do not want to over do it, but they need it more during breeding. I do not give the liquid at all outside of breeding season. If the product you have states what you said above, and this will be the only source of calcium your giving, meaning directly in the water I would give it right now for 2 days on, one day off, 2 days on etc. the mix in US speak would be 10 mls = 2 teaspoons or 20 mls = 4 teaspoons. Now I always error on the side of caution, so I'd mix that up as 1 tablespoon to a liter. You do not need to over do it. Without it they use up any stores they have and break down what they need to survive, this gives them the extra they need right now to avoid them robbing their body of it.