where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My lutino cockatiel is very violent and how do I tame him

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hemant
    Thanks

My lutino cockatiel is very violent and how do I tame him

I have bought 2 cockatiel birds around 10 months ago, one lutino and one cappuccino. I'm not sure of their age at the time I bought them. I bought them from a pet shop and they were in very bad condition there.
    My lutino cockateil is very violent sometimes and I'm not able to understand how to handle him. Every now and then he runs after my other cockatiel and bite him. Also every night he fights with other tiel inside the cage. Also, I've noticed that as I tries to put cloth on his cage it shows it displeasure by gesturing bit on cage and cloth.

When I bought him he used to bite a lot to me and my other tiel and certain time I hit him in the past for that behavior. I now realised that my hit made him feel threatened by me and I'm not sure how should I overcome this. I tried stick training. he comes eat and still behave similar. I'm getting really frustrated and not sure if he will ever trust me. I'm wondering would it be good for him if he has new parent. I don't to give me away, but I don't know how to keep him happy. I really want him to feel safe and loved but he is really afraid of me and very violent on my other tiel

Please help me.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: My lutino cockatiel is very violent and how do I tame him

Hi, and welcome to the community. When we don't have a full history on a bird's life, it is difficult when they have obnoxious behavior to understand why. It sounds to me like perhaps the angry one was mistreated before you got him, and with you being aggressive towards him, he has put up a barrier\shield against you. It is going to take alot of time and patience for you to win him over. I am not sure what approach you can take. For starters, play some soft music on a radio, or CD player. Sit by his cage, with him inside, and talk very softly to him, tell him you are sorry for not being kind to him. Give him a millet sprig, or a treat, and eat a snack yourself when you sit there. Do this every single day. It could result in him being a little more docile. But it will take lots of time and patience.

It also sounds to me like he is into his hormones right now. This too, can make him aggressive, and ready to bite or attack you, or other birds.

The violence on the other tiel could also be hormones. It may be best for him to be in an aviary setting, and with adults who are bird educated to rehabilitate birds that have been abused or mistreated. Even though they are not human beings, all animals and birds who have been mistreated carry emotional scars and sometimes physical scars. And after having birds in my home for many years, and observing and interacting with them. I have come to know they are very, very intelligent, and have very keen insight and emotion as they live each and every day.

If you were to decide to re-home him, find an adoption or rescue bird agency. They will work with him to help dispell his anger. As I shared, I do not think it is all your fault. However, you may find no real answer to his behavior now. And he may be happier in that environment.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-07-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hemant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. When we don't have a full history on a bird's life, it is difficult when they have obnoxious behavior to understand why. It sounds to me like perhaps the angry one was mistreated before you got him, and with you being aggressive towards him, he has put up a barrier\shield against you. It is going to take alot of time and patience for you to win him over. I am not sure what approach you can take. For starters, play some soft music on a radio, or CD player. Sit by his cage, with him inside, and talk very softly to him, tell him you are sorry for not being kind to him. Give him a millet sprig, or a treat, and eat a snack yourself when you sit there. Do this every single day. It could result in him being a little more docile. But it will take lots of time and patience.

It also sounds to me like he is into his hormones right now. This too, can make him aggressive, and ready to bite or attack you, or other birds.

The violence on the other tiel could also be hormones. It may be best for him to be in an aviary setting, and with adults who are bird educated to rehabilitate birds that have been abused or mistreated. Even though they are not human beings, all animals and birds who have been mistreated carry emotional scars and sometimes physical scars. And after having birds in my home for many years, and observing and interacting with them. I have come to know they are very, very intelligent, and have very keen insight and emotion as they live each and every day.

If you were to decide to re-home him, find an adoption or rescue bird agency. They will work with him to help dispell his anger. As I shared, I do not think it is all your fault. However, you may find no real answer to his behavior now. And he may be happier in that environment.
    Thanks for the all the helpful info. I'll try to be patient with him and try my level best to make him comfortable. After going through lots of thread on this forum, I believe I have to be very gentle and slow with him. all I want him to be happy and cheerful. Giving him away would be my last resort and I don't want to do that but I also don't want to be selfish and make him unhappy. I'll try with what you suggested for some more time and see if he can make improvement. If not, then I will try to find a suitable home for him.

Again, really appreciate your helpful insight.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Do not lose heart. Take one day at a time. Birds are very forgiving of us. The main goal for you is to be quiet, don't raise your voice, and try to ignore some of the aggression. I would be sure to watch them when they are out together. And when both are in their cages, play, play the music.

Please keep us updated. Patience and time are on your side. You have plenty of both, day to day. I would rather see you keep him, if at all possible, because each new home they have, even if it is with other birds, it is a big adjustment for them.