Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New cockatiel questions

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

New cockatiel questions

Hi everyone:
    I have been able to bring baby Tryion home this last weekend. Because of the quarantine we are under here in Hawaii, the bird lady thought it might be best now, that he is weaned for him to come home before we aren't allowed to travel at all. I am happy he is here, as I have lots of time to bond with him. Tyrion is about 6 to 7 weeks old. He is fully weaned, and he is eating well. He has tried and seems to be enjoying greens, papaya, and the veggies we have been keeping near him. He loves to be out of his cage and with one of us.
    my questions are:

he still chick chirps a lot, and I'm not sure if it's distress? hunger? or just wanting more close attention. He chirps, bobbs his head, and it's kind of like a hiss, but not really. He seems to stop when he climbs under my chin and rubs his head. Im hoping this is normal behavior.

Should I get him a cuttle bone? He is often chewing on my shirts, and Im not sure if he's again hungry, or just need to chew like a puppy does.

That's about all for now.
    Thanks in advance

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: New cockatiel questions

Awww!! He is doing great. That chirp is what I call a baby chirp. Usually, they have been well fed, and not hungry, but will still make that sound. As he gets few weeks older, by about 12 weeks old, he will not be making those baby noises. He may also be missing his mom and dad, that is another reason for that baby chirping.

Yes, he should have a cuttlebone in his cage at all times. It sounds to me like he is eating great, and already bonding well with you. That is awesome. We will watch for updates! Again, congrats and good luck!

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

Thanks! I put a cuttle bone in his cage for him, he looks at it, but hasnt tried it yet lol. Right now he's wondering why hes in the cage while im obviously sitting right here. But, he kept running over my keyboard, and I have to teach some classes online. A little cage time is not a bad thing though. He's out almost all the rest of the day.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are totally right. They do need to be trained to have both in and out of cage time. Another suggestion I have is to take some smaller pieces of the cuttlebone, broken off, and crush the small pieces, and mix with his seed mix. As he grows older he may eat off of the big piece, and you would not need to crush it. And if the cuttlebone came in a box with a tin holder, I recommend you getting a plastic holder at the pet shop and using that instead. Years ago, I had a young female who cut her foot on that tin and thankfully, I saw what happened, and stopped the bleeding with cornstarch. It was not a big cut, but for a week or so, she favored that foot. It was a scary moment for both of us.

Your seed mix you are feeding, no doubt should have calcium vitamins in it, but it is good to back that up with the cuttlebone.

We will watch for updates. Safety to you and all your family through this cornia19 virus pandemic.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

Thanks! Ill do that with the cuttle bone. I made a play area for him today and he sits there when I have to go do some cooking. he can still see me, so he's pretty good about staying there. Ladders are still a challenge. lol

Tonight he went into a long, .....hissy fit. took a while to calm him down, still not sure what prompted that one.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They are people birds, as you know, and maybe he thought he needed more attention! That is why I said teaching them both inside cage and outside cage are OK. With one this young, they really test you to see how much attention they are going to get. And if we give them too much, when they are babies, they are going to expect it the rest of their lives, and then they get what is called separation anxiety. When that happens, they are always "needy", and never really happy. And that causes unhappy campers a lot of the time. Teaching him now to be content in or out of cage, and not be needing your undivided attention all the time, will make the journey great for both of you!!

The play area is a great idea! Keep the updates coming to us! He is doing great!!

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

yup. he is doing much better today. no hissy fits yet. we have also found that hearing a cockatiel whistling Totoro on you tube calmed him down immediately. He sat quiet contentedly on my shoulder most of the morning, while i was helping my daughter sew masks. he will have cage time this afternoon while i prep a baking demo. it's just like having a toddler around again.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

today Tyrion is having lots of hissy fits. cage time when he doesn't calm down, or on his gym, this time he wanted to snuggle.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! He looks cinnamon color in that photo! I see those pearls!!! Could be a girl!!

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

COuld be a girl, so hard to decipher when they are this young. We are figuring things out. Tyrion does better with a 9pm bed time. Loves brocollini, sorta likes asparagus, loves cilantro over parsley.and likes to take a nap after a mid morning hissy fit. We will try sweet potatoes later today.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

Found a site that recommended weighing him everyday, to make sure he's eating enough. so today he weighed in at 82 grams. which If I remember correctly, is a good weight for a cockatiel.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes! That is an excellent idea to weigh everyday. You may remember Pipers Mom, our mernber here. She highly recommends weighing everyday. I think for his age now, the 82 is great!

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

hmmm after 2 days at 82 grams, he went downt to 78 this morning. But, looking at yesterday, he wasn't eating all the time as he had previous days. More naps. and more spontaneous activity.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think that is because he is slowly but surely trasnsitioning from a tiny baby to a more mature young cockatiel. He is using more energy to play, and eating more young bird foods too. Do keep weighing him everyday. In my view, he should hold at his current weight, and not lose everyday. In fsct, it would be good for him to regain a litttle weight or hold current weight, and not keep losing. If that happens, contact the breeder for their opinion.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

I called our vet, but he won'T be in till Saturday. Tyrion is dancing a lot today. His fee just keep moving. I'm fairly certain it"s because he's getting used to perches, he was in a flat bottom cage with pellets before. but just wab]nt to be certain.