Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Breeding Starlight?

Name
    Mandy
    Thanks

Breeding Starlight?

I have been thinking about breeding my little Lutino budgie, Starlight. I've never really wanted to breed birds before, but for some reason, the idea came to mind with her. She's quite adorable, and she would probably make beautiful little ones, anyways, heh, but there are so many things to take into consideration for this! Firstly, I know I will need to have the time to devote to look after them, to make sure everyone is healthy and nobody is killing each other! D:"
    As I said, I've never bred budgies or any birds before. I'd obviously have to do quite a bit of reading before I decide to do this. Is there any information and/or resources that you all think would be invaluable if I do choose to do this? Thanks so much! ovo"
    ☆Starlight - F Lutino Budgie☆
    ♣Buddy - M Normal Gray Cockatiel♣

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Re: Breeding Starlight?

I would suggest you google breeding budgies. There is great info on line. Read all you can about it. I have bred one pair years ago. I had what I thought were 5 males, until one day I noticed a pair mating, and Buttercup laid an egg. I went online and read great info. I bought a budgie nest box, put the egg in the box, and the hen laid four eggs total. And 4 beautiful babies hatched.

It is a good idea to have a pair that are about 1 1\2 years old, or older, if possible, because older birds are more mature, and will usually take great care of their young.

It really is not too difficult to breed. I really was excited, and the babies were beautiful and stole my heart. I found that it is best to not be constantly looking in the box, and let the hen do her setting, and leave the pair alone as best possible. Do your research first. Then consider breeding a pair.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-06-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Name
    Mandy
    Thanks

Yeah, it seems like it would be fairly simple, as it's something that, you know, happens naturally in the wild, but I would want to, obviously, ensure their safety! Some people have said that if you don't put a nesting box in the cage, or an otherwise applicable place for eggs, there won't be any breeding, but I don't know! It seems like they may try anyways, being that they are animals... I've done some reading on breeding them and it seems like it would be fairly simple, but I've been trying to find out information on how good of caretakers the budgie parents tend to be or not. I've heard that sometimes they have this tendency to eat their young and that worries me. I think that would probably traumatize me, so I may want to avoid trying to if that is the case, haha. I'll probably do some more reading into it and see what I learn, though!
    ☆Starlight - F Lutino Budgie☆
    ♣Buddy - M Normal Gray Cockatiel♣

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quite honestly you need a wooden budgie nest box to breed. The box protects the hen and the eggs. It keeps the eggs at right humidity, and also, is a safe place with plenty of room for about 4-5 babies.

Happy Huts or tents do not work. They are too small, do not protect mom and babies, and babies fall out of the tents, and the tents get full of poop. By all means use a wooden box.