where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: General Newbie Questions

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Craig
    Thanks

General Newbie Questions

Greetings everyone. If the questions I am asking here have been repeated elsewhere on the forum, I apologize and ask you to simply redirect me to the correct place. I started looking through this particular section of the forum but may not have gone back far enough to find the information. At any rate, I am a recently new owner of a male budgie, probably for about 5 weeks. I sit and talk with him at least 3 times a day and usually have him sitting on my finger eating millet from my other hand. Here are my questions:

1. When I talk to my budgie, he gets all excited and starts jumping back and forth, up and down from one perch to the next, and even starts climbing all over his cage up and down the sides. He stands in front of me and fluffs his feathers, preens himself and then jumps back and forth and again and starts to chirp. Does this mean he likes me, or am I making him nervous?

2. The other day he was sitting there in front of me while I was talking, and several times he stretched out his neck and opened up his beak. He did not act like he was having any problems breathing or anything. He will also grind his beak and make funny scraping noises with it. What does this mean? Again, is this positive or negative behavior?

3. Should I force him to come out of his cage or let him do it on his own? I keep one of the little "windows" open closer to the top part of his cage, but he never ventures out. If I open the big door, he doesn't try to get out through that way either. I was told by the person from whom I bought my parakeet that they will get "cage bound" and never want to come out and play if you don't force them to come out and get used to it. I just don't want to destroy the trust that he has in me up to this point. I don't want him to think that I'm trying to hurt him.

Thanks for reading and answering, folks. I appreciate it very much.
    Last edited by Musikfan; 04-06-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

Re: General Newbie Questions

Hi, and welcome to the community. Awwww! Your budgie loves you already. All of the behaviors you describe are those of trust in you. The person you got him from did a great job socializing him. It is early on as yet, and I suggest to not force him out of cage. Instead, put some treats, fresh veggies, such as leaf lettuce, some finally chopped apples, sprinkle some of his seeds over the mix, and sprinkle about 1\2 tablespoon of organic unsweetened apple juice over this mix. Put the mix in a small paper plate. Set the plate on top of cage. Also, put a plate of the mix in cage floor, but only when he will not be out of the cage. I would try the one inside cage first. Then he will get used to eating those foods, so that when you want him to come out, and place the plate outside on top of cage, he will venture out to find that food.

You are absolutely correct to not destroy the trust he already has in you. Patience and time always win for both the bird and caregiver. You chose an awesome friend. Budgies are hardy, loving, and playful. And they love to eat, and play with their mirror friends and swing. So get him a swing and a couple of mirrors, put one on each end of a perch!! He will be a very happy camper!! I have homed budgies for many years! I love them! We will watch for updates. Congrats!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-07-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Craig
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, maxollie. I'm so glad to know that he is already trusting me. I appreciate the advice to take my time with getting him out of the cage. That was my thought as well.

It's funny though. At certain times of the day he will act almost like he's tired. I'll go to his cage and talk to him the very same way that I usually do, but he'll just kind of sit there and look at me but not have any reactions. Other times he's excited to see me. Like I said, I'm not familiar with all the different behaviors of budgies, and sometimes it's hard to read his body language. He'll sit on my finger and eat millet, but then when he's done he usually hops off and goes to the nearby perch. But then if I open the larger bottom door to the cage, he acts almost like he wants to play. He'll climb literally all over his cage and half hang upside down, then crawl back down, then back up, then run back and forth on one of the perches. When he's doing this, should I try to get him to sit on my finger more, or just let him play? He acts almost like he wants to come closer but isn't completely sure. He did "accidentally" fly out of his cage today, but he always flies back to it and then crawls all around the outside of it trying to find the entrance. I will get him to step up on my finger during this time and he'll sit there for about 5 seconds and then flies back to his cage.

Thanks again for reading and answering my questions. I just want to be sure that I'm responding in a way that will maintain his trust.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think that you and your little bird are doing great together and by what you say that he does already like you and soon he will trust you enough to hop out and eat millet from your hand. You can always open the big door and then put you hand close to the door by the floor and hold a millet spray in your hand to see if he will hop down and eat it out of your hand. The birds we have had at our house all will hop onto your hand and eat food out of our palms of our hands. Birds sleep alot and wake up and have tons of energy for a bit and then they sit, eat and be lazy.

I am happy he flew back into his cage and you did not have to try to pick him up to return him. That is great because some birds are almost impossible to get them back into their cage.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

Yes, they do take naps in the daytime, especially in the afternoon. Budgies love music, and at nap time, or quiet time, I play music, either on a CD player, or videos from YouTube. There is a musician, Tim Janis, on YouTube, that has beautiful music videos. My birds love the ones that have outside birds chirping and singing along with his music.

And sure!!! Anytime you have a chance, cautiously and gently reach your finger towards him, and he just might step up. Some owners gently say..step up! Then, when the bird does step up, let him eat some more millet seeds out of your hand, or off the top of the sprig. That teaches him to think if he steps up, he gets to eat millet, and he will then be stepping up for millet all the time.

On many levels it is just like having a human baby. The budgies learn so many neat things, and really, never stop learning. It is sooooo much fun to be on the journey with them!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-08-2020 at 01:36 PM.