Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pesky rats getting into aviaries - ideas welcome

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Pesky rats getting into aviaries - ideas welcome

Im currently in an exhausting battle trying to stop rats getting into my two aviaries. I have budgies in one and canaries in the other, both have had casualties this year from the pesky rats and now i have nests in both the attempts at breakins have increased. So far ive laid humane traps (not so worried about the humane bit by now), laid wire along the floor of both aviaries and covered over with soil and stones. Laid slabs in one, planted peppermint and sprinkled peppermint oil around. I have a dog that eats everything so im not keen on poison unless i can dog proof it.

Its the first year we have had issues with rats and im not sure if its linked to next door getting some chickens (although they are kept impeccably tidy). Im at my whits end especially as i now have nests being built and eggs. Any tips that anyone else has found work would be great.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Pesky rats getting into aviaries - ideas welcome

I wished I had some great advice for you but I have to ever had outdoor birds so never dealt with this. Do you think adding chicken wire on the outside of the aviary would help out? Most wire fencing is worrisome with birds because of lead solder used when making it but I do not believe chicken wire has any in it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Really appreciate the response. I have lined the inside and all around the outside with chicken wire and covered over with soil and slabs for the most part in the canaries. I have seen evidence of attempts to get in but no actual breakins. The other avairy is paved for theost part and i have tried to wire the gaps between the edges. Unfortunately the rats have started chewing the wood and have tunnelled from a flower bed about 5ft away. Its so frustrating.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry, it sounds like the rats are determined to get in and are finding ways to do it. If welded wire didnt have zinc in it that might work but it isnt worth a chance that your birds might get some of the zinc on it and get metal poisoning. It has to be frustrating to know rats are getting that close to your birds. You could maybe use plexiglass but that would be so expensive to cover the outside with it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.