Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help, my mother saved a baby bird and we need help on how to take care of it

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Help, my mother saved a baby bird and we need help on how to take care of it

So my mother saved a baby bird that was stolen by her neighbors cat. She tried leaving it in her balcony for a bit to see if the parents came for it, but they didn't and the baby is too young to fly anyways. She asked for my help because I own a small parrot, but I never raised an actual baby bird which I know is an entirely different deal. She is having trouble feeding it so I told her what I know, to get a syringe/pippete to feed him with instead of trying to use her finger or a spoon. From looking at pictures online she thinks its an European Greenfinch, here are some pictures of it that she sent me https://imgur.com/a/dlatBrq (sorry if this is the incorrect way to post images, I couldn't figure out the IMG). She is currently in Spain, Almeria if that helps at all. It currently is peeping and not really eating, just looking at the food presented to him on fingers in confusion. If anyone can help or give advice at all we would really appreciate it.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Help, my mother saved a baby bird and we need help on how to take care of it

Have you looked to try to find a wild bird rehabilitation place nearby that you could take this baby to? If so and you didn't find one I would then search for one somewhere else and call them for advice. I would be leary of this baby possibly having cat saliva on it beause it is toxic to birds and I really do hope it is still alive today since you posted this yesterday. I do hope you Mom is able to save this little baby and it will thrive with your care.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.