where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby Cockatiel Questions

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dana
    Thanks

Baby Cockatiel Questions

Hi all! I have just found a baby lutino cockatiel from a reputable breeder, but I have a few questions. The baby that I am looking at is hand raised and young, about to wean, but seems like his feathers are pretty scrappy and he has a smallish bald spot behind his head, despite having a very large and prominent crest. I know that lutinos frequently have those bald spots but I would prefer one without. Do you think that his head feathers will grow in as he gets older, considering how young he is? Also, is it normal for cockatiels to look scrappy at this age, or is this a sign of what he will look like as a grown bird?

Also, as a side note, any advice for bringing home a newly weaned baby? I want to make sure he stays safe and happy in his new home and I presume there would be more strict environmental and care factors that go into caring for a young bird like this.

Thanks so much!
    Dana

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,306 Posts

Re: Baby Cockatiel Questions

Hi, Dana, and welcome to the community. Lutinos do have a bald spot on their head if they are full Lutino with red eyes. Do a google search....lutino mutations of cockatiels. That should give you great info on the mutation.

Is the aviary, or home of the breeder clean? Are the cages clean? Do you see other baby birds that are rather scruffy as well? How do the parents look? Do all birds appear to be eating and drinking? How old is this baby? Are there other babies in the nest?

Did the breeder give you a history of the parents? Have they hatched many birds? What diet do they feed parents? And babies? It is very important that a baby not be brought to your home until he or she is at least 12 weeks old. The babies need their parents and the proper feedings or handfeeding until then. If possible, ask the breeder for a DNA test for the baby so you will know the sex, before you bring the bird home.

It could be there were alot of eggs in the clutch, they all hatched, and there was not alot of room in the nest. The bsby may look scruffy due to so msny nestlings.

We welcime your visit and questions anytime. The main goal of having a new bird in your home is to love him or her, kerp cage and toys clean, feed a good diet, of seeds, and if you prefer, organic pellets together. The brand TOPS, is an excellent pellet. Have a cage with plenty of room for the bird. You might also consider getting a play gym for out of cage time.

Cockatiels are very intelligent people birds! They love life, their food, toys, and us! They are so fun to have and will certainly entertain you! Goid luck on the journey!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-24-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hello Dana,

Ellen (maxollie) gives excellent advice and I believe she covered pretty much all the bases with your original post.

Lutino cockatiels are known to have bald spots behind their crests. To be honest, I never seen one without. It's one of the lutino's traits. My profile pic "Piper" was a lutino and I think she behaved more like a human than an actual bird. She had a bald spot too. I know others who had lutino's and they all had bald spots You don't need to be alarmed about this, that is normal for lutino's.

Just watch and make sure that your tiel does eat. I do have to agree with Ellen that usually 12 weeks is a good age to bring home a baby. If the baby should regress, please be sure to have the breeders contact information handy. This way, you will know what formula to feed. There are youtube videos on how to feed baby tiels with a syringe.

Looking forward to seeing updates about the new arrival.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 04-24-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dana
    Thanks

Thank you both so much for your replies! He is 12 weeks old right now and won’t be coming home for another 2 weeks or so, so luckily he is old enough. He has already been DNA tested and the breeder says that the parents are 5 years old with no known health conditions. The breeder is actually a retired vet tech, so it makes me happy to know she has experience! She told me that she feeds the babies a combination of fruits and veggies, seeds, and pellets which also makes me happy. I have heard so many horror stories about bad breeders, but she seems very reputable! My only concern with getting a lutino with a bald spot is the possibility that it could by an early manifestation of lutino syndrome, but given the parents’ history and the practices of the breeder I feel like it is just a normal little bald patch

I appreciate your advice and will definitely take it all into consideration as I prepare for the little guy to come home, so thank you so much! I’m so excited

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,306 Posts

We sure will watch for your posts when you bring your new baby home! Awwww! I am super happy for you. You got every bit of info about history, and even the DNA! That is awesome! We will be excited to see pics after he settles in too! Congrats! Lutinos are sooooo beautiful!!