Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Feeding budgie?

Thanks

Feeding budgie?

Hello, so I've been concerned about feeding my boy, he sometimes gets food late at night because I'm up working. I'm concerned he's not eating enough or that eating one meal late at night might be bad for him I dont always feed him his normal food because it's sometimes too late. I'll give him some millet and then give him food in the morning. I feel bad that he's maybe not eating well but he seems normal... I guess I just want my boy to be as happy as possible.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Feeding budgie?

Your budgie should always have a full cup of seeds and a full cup of water in his cage at all times. Even at night. During the day, when we are gone, budgies eat and drink several times a day. I suggest feeding him fresh foods and veggies, when you are home with him. They cannot be left in the cage all day, because raw foods can go rancid in a few hours and make the birds very sick. You will be able to see what he ate while you were gone, because the cracked seed chaff will be on the floor. I have homed budgies for many years. On occasion, they sometimes even eat seeds during the night.

I also suggest you clean the seed and water cups every day, replacing with clean seeds and water. Always clean the poop papers from cage bottom everyday as well. And be sure to hang a cuttlebone in the cage. Do not get one with a metal frame. I once had a cockatiel cut his foot on the metal. Get a plastic holder for the cuttlebone.

Millet is a great food, but should not be the only seeds he eats. He needs a good seed mix for regular eating. Millet can be given as treats, even when you come home at night. I think you will see seed spilled on the floor, when you get home. That will indicate he ate in the daytime. Budgies love to play in their seed cups, and often spill seed. I have had some, especially males, who love to scratch all the seed out of the cup.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-26-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    mjaumjau
    Thanks

Re: Feeding budgie?

Hello, you should at least once a day put seeds in a food container. It will be awesome to place some vegetables. there is an awesome article on feeding budgies https://www.alenaxp.com/budgie-food/