Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Constipated budgie!! Please help

Name
    Ellie
    Thanks

Constipated budgie!! Please help

Hopefully i've done this forum correctly!!
    I recently noticed my poor budgie (female) has been experiencing a bit of constipation!! I am not 100% sure why she's experiencing it, but i believe it might be due to the fact she is on a all seed diet (which i am in the slow process of trying to change!) or she doesn't drink enough water!? (from what i heard can cause constipation!!)
    I recently just got this budgie and one other budgie (male) who was passed onto me from my grandad... Who got them from my cousin... Who originally adopted them as they are rescue budgies!!! So it's been a bit hard trying to care for her as they both really dislike being handled or even being close to me/anybody else!!
    I was just wondering if anybody had ways of helping them through this, as i am not close to a vet and at the moment don't think it's serious enough for the vets!?!
    I have tried my best so far by having extra water for her to drink, offering some fruits/vegetables, even considered giving her vegetable or olive oil as i saw online it can help but wasn't sure!!!
    Thanks 😊 xx

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Constipated budgie!! Please help

Hi, and welcome. Do you know how old they are? If you are beginning to feed pellets, they are very, very dry goods and require lots of water. The problem with feeding pellets to budgies is that they never do consume swot of water, so they need extra fresh raw veggies to help with the poops. I recommend taking a very small amount of organic unsweetened apple juice, and sprinkle it over the seeds and or pellets. Ideally the birds need seeds and pellets if you are feeding pellets. Personally I prefer a good seed mix and no pellets for budgies, along with the fresh veggies. Do not feed cabbage family veggies to budgies...which are broccoli, kale, cabbage, bok choy, parsley, etc. These veggies have a photo nutrient in them that can cause esophagal tumors in budgies. You also can feed millet for treats. Budgies love millet. Also, very small pieces of whole wheat bread, and some cooked sweet potatoes, and carrots are good ones as well.

It is only natural they are abit skiddish now, but time and patience are on your side. Sit by their cage and talk softly to them. Eat a snack and give them a great great while sitting there. Even read them a kids nursery rhyme book. Play soft music for them on a CD, or radio. Let them watch Seasame Street and Disney Channel including Mickey mouse on TV. And by all means get each of them a small mirror. Budgies love their mirror boy and girl friends. Like you. I do not think they need a vet visit right now.

I would put a couple of water cups in the cage. Also, hang some fresh leaf lettuce in the cage. Not head lettuce though. The leaf lettuce has good water content which they need.

Check out birdy bread and brdy veggie chop on a Google search. Also look for both on YouTube.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-17-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Name
    Ellie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome. Do you know how old they are? If you are beginning to feed pellets, they are very, very dry goods and require lots of water. The problem with feeding pellets to budgies is that they never do consume slot of water, so they need extra fresh raw veggies to help with the poops. I recommend taking a very small amount of organic unsweetened apple juice, and sprinkle it over the seeds and or pellets. Ideally the birds need seeds and pellets if you are feeding pellets. Personally I prefer a good seed mix and no pellets for budgies, along with the fresh veggies. Do not feed cabbage family veggies to budgies...which are broccoli, make, cabbage, bok choy, parsley, etc. These veggies have a photo nutrient in them that can cause esophagal tumors in budgies. You also can feed millet for treats. Budgies love millet. Also, very small pieces of whole wheat bread, and some cooked sweet potatoes, and carrots are good ones as well.

It is only natural they are about skiddish now, but time and patience are on your side. Sit by their cage and talk softly to them. Eat a snack and give them a great while sitting there. Even read them a kids nursery rhyme book. Play soft music for them on a CD, or radio. Let them watch Seasame Street and Disney Channel including Mickey mouse on TV.

I would put a couple of water cups in the cage. Also, hang some fresh leaf lettuce in the cage. Not head lettuce though. The leaf lettuce has good water content which they need.

Check out birdy bread and brdy veggie chop on a Google search. Also look for both on YouTube.
    Thank you 😊 Unfortunately i don't know their age, going to try and contact my cousin (who originally adopted them). They currently eat seeds, it's just the basic stuff from pets at home. They will occasionally eat things such as spinach, a small bit of banana, recently got them on cucumber as i was it would help with the constipation, small bits of tomatoes... Making a slow progress but they are getting a bit better!! Going to try and work on it more so they have a proper balanced diet. Starting off small aha!!
    I will try the unsweetened apple juice, thank you so much for the advice!! I am trying my best to allow them to trust me more, i usually sit and play some music which they happily chirp along too 😂
    RIP Boo the Budgie 💙😇
    Attie and Nim the Budgies (March 2020)❤️

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Budgies LOVE music, and also go to Youtube and search for...budgies singing and playing! There are also budgie aviaries and some pet shops that show their stock. Budgies are loving and happy little parrots. I do believe they will warm up to you. Take some millet seeds, put them in a food cup. Sprinkle with a tiny amount of apple juice. When they begin eating them they love them. Then, after a few days, try putting a few seeds in your hand, extend the hand out to them, so your arm is farther away. Then, they will not be so frightened of you. Put a few drops of apple juice on the millet seed as well. It will take some time and patience, but I think they will eat those millets from your hand in time.