where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Are my budgies fighting?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robyn
    Thanks

Are my budgies fighting?

Hello! I hope I'm posting this right. I've had my budgies Kiwi (female) and Tango (male) for 3 months now and things were going pretty well until I started noticing that they seem to be a little off.

For some background information, Kiwi is a little older than Tango and isn't very friendly. She doesn't like hands being anywhere near her and has bitten me and my other family members quite hard several times. She also doesn't want to leave the cage at all. Tango is very eager to learn and will happily perch on your finger for some millet and likes to come out of the cage quite a bit. He hasn't bitten at all.

Recently we've noticed that Kiwi will peck at Tango, sometimes at his feet, and is very territorial. She guards the ladder in the cage pretty fiercely. Tango also screams and squawks very often, for seemingly no reason. Nothing in the cage is amiss.

I apologize if this is all normal behaviour and I'm just clogging up the thread haha, I'm just worried about them and don't want them to get hurt. Thank you very much and have a good day!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,295 Posts

Re: Are my budgies fighting?

Hi, and welcome to the community. On occasion an older budgie will be dominant over a younger one. They can get quite aggressive with the younger one. Do you know their exact age? Usually at about 9-12 months of age budgies go into puberty which signals they will soon be into their hormones. At that time, the female gets a crusty brown color cere, which is the spot right above the beak. Normally, that cere in a female is light tan or ivory color. In the male it is always blue or darker blue color, but it never changes color like the female cere.

It could be Kiwi is beginning hormonal behavior. If she gets very aggressive, pushing Tango off the perch, or out of the food cup, or chases him, etc., in my view, you will need to get Tango his own cage. The constant unrest for Tango is not good for him at all. I would suggest you watch Kiwi carefully, and continue to observe her behavior. If you see her cere turning brown, she could lay eggs, every other day, and also you may see the pair mating. She could lay her eggs on the cage floor, or right off the perch. Often times those laid off the perch or swing, break. You could also see her setting on the cage floor, laying an egg. And separate cages may be best for now. You could have special times to put them in one cage, and see if Kiwi, will have a better attitude with Tango as she gets older. I hope this info will be of some help to you. Please keep us posted on the behavior of Kiwi!
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-19-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robyn
    Thanks

Thank you very much! Ahh I see that makes sense. I'm afraid I don't know their exact ages But I think they're still pretty young, under a year for sure based on their beaks!

Ahh I never thought about that! Separate cages definitely sound like a good idea. I'll make sure to keep an eye on her! As I type this, actually, they're sitting close to each other on a perch and preening each other, a little confusing haha. Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it! I'll keep you up to date!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,295 Posts

Yes, it can be confusing at times. Hopefully, her behavior will not get to the point you have to separate them. I do be!ieve it is her hormones. Please stop by often and give us updates. Hormones are very diffucult for young birds the first time around. And, also, those feelings are new to them, and they really do not know how to handle it. They will be happy, preening, and loving one minute, and the next, be aggressive. It is a good sign they were preening. We will watch for updates.

Thanks

Hi,

I recently had the same problem with one of my budgies. I got him a new friend and he started acting just the same. I removed the mirror and toys that he seemed to be guarding, also took him out often to eat with his new friend. It only took a week but he finally stopped biting his friend. He still guards his cage, but it's getting better. Haven't had problems since, but if this doesn't work then separate cages is probably a good idea!

Hope this helps