Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hi there! parasites anD worms OH MY!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Eleni
    Thanks

Question Hi there! parasites anD worms OH MY!

I've been reading a lot of info...a lot. Now I'm wondering if I should treat my budgies for mites and worms as a preventative. What does everyone do?

There's Ivermectin, Scatt and Avimec then Worm X...so many options and I want to know what and if anyone else has treated new birds for these issues even if it's a preventative. One of my original budgies may be coming back home. She's being treated for bacterial infection at the pet store after vet appointment. She will be quarantined, but should I deworm her and treat for mites? Not sure if pet store does or breeder they purchase them from does either.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Hi there! parasites anD worms OH MY!

Hi, and welcome to the community. I have homed budgies for many years, and never had these problems with them. I am not one to support over the counter meds for birds. If it were me, I would first check with a local avian vet and ask them about using these items for your birds before I try them.

If the petshop is credible, and has a good bird inventory, of healthy birds from good breeders, they should not have mites, or worms, or any other insects, etc. when a person purchases a bird.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Eleni
    Thanks

I would hope not, but it's Petco. We bought 2 birds and 2 weeks later I sent one back to the store to get checked by a vet. After vet visit he prescribed abx, because of her balding vent (which I noticed a few days after she came home), dirty vent and a microscope view. There was no culture sent out or gram stain. She was prescr. Baytril. She has to stay at the store until her meds are finished. Now 10 days later there are 3 other birds who came after her with vent issues. Not a good breeder I take it. I want her back, but I'm not sure the Baytril took care of the pathogen she had and I may never know. So I thought if I brought her home I should treat her for worms or giardia. The other bird she was housed with whom we still have at home is showing no signs of illness. Vet thought what she caught was from humans, like E.coli. I purchased probiotics and gaurdian angel for when she comes back hopefully. Thoughts, please?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Awww! I am totally disappointed in Petco for selling birds with these types of medical issues. They should not be using breeders who have birds with such conditions. And wholesale selling them! I know how our hearts fall in love with our birds the minute we pick one and bring it home. To have to return them for vet treatmernt is terrible. Here in my locality, when I purchase birds at either Petco, or Petsmart, at one time, they allowed a 30 day window to return the bird if it shows illness, and they would replace it. However, those rules evidently have changed. I have not purchased for awhile. Medicines like Baytril are well known and do usually heal the bird. But, like you, I sure would be concerned about ecoli! That tells me the breeder is not top notch at all. And, Petco should be reporting the breeder to proper officials that oversee selling of pets, animals, and birds or fish.

I have been very lucky over all the years to not have sick birds, so I really have no idea how to proceed with the items you are considering. Hopefully, another member may be able to answer you in that regard. Please keep us posted. ((((((Hugs)))) Ellen