Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Concerns

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Concerns

Hello! I recently got 3 new budgies 6 or 7 days ago, 2, who i've gotten already together as a pair (Kiwi, male and Marshmallow, female), and a third one (Tinker) who seems to be a young budgie due to the markings on them.
    I'm worried about Marshmallow, she's an albino budgie, however she has faded pink marks on the ends of her wings, tail and right above her cere.
    She eats and drinks water, and her droppings seem regular, but she's always puffed up and I don't recall ever seeing her perch, and there are times where she pants and has tiny squeaks while panting. I was told she could just be stressed from the move and could just be afraid of me, however I'm very paranoid and I'm worried she might be ill, any help?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Concerns

Hi, and welcome! Did you get your budgies from a breeder, a petshop, or somewhereelse? I agree the puffed up and panting and not perching are red flags. If you got them at a petshop, did you get any guarsntee with them, for a certain amount of time.

If possible, call an Avian vet and give them these symptoms over the ohune. See what opinion they have in regard to his or her health. Avian vets are pricey these days, so hopefully, they would answer your concerns by phone, and you may not have to take your budgie in for a wellness check
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-07-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello! I actually got them from a friend, she's had them for a while, and I suggested to take them in and care for them since I have a huge love for birds, when I got them she told me that they're healthy, and that she's had Marshmallow for approximately 6 months. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding any vets that take care of birds, but I'm hoping I can find one and call them regarding my birds behaviour.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

It could be. since she does not perch, she may have a foot or feet disability. Are you familiar with splayed legs. Baby budgies and other baby birds can have this problem when first hatched. It happens in the nest. It affects their feet and they are what I call flat feet birds, so they have problems perching.

I agree she could be frightened of her new environment. Do you have all of them together in one cage, and were they all together in your friends home? If, in the past Marshmallow was bullied or dominated by the other two, in the past, she may be afraid of them.

If it were me, I would try putting her in her own cage, and sit the cage next to the other birds. Since she could have a disability, I think she may be happier in her own cage.

Set up her cage so that she can easily access her food and water, and give her a mirror, somewhere close to where she spends her time.

Also, I suggest covering her cage with three sides, with front side open in daytime. Use a sheet, bath towel, or a lightweight blanket. That will give her comfort, and help her to not be so afraid.

Budgies can be bullied by bigger and older birds. This often happens in the petshop when there are several in the cages. I have had budgies that carry fear for several months before they finally trusted I would not hurt them. I would let them be in their own cage, and it did help tremendously to make them happier.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-08-2020 at 02:13 PM.