Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: To trim or not to trim (feathers) ??

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jacki
    Thanks

To trim or not to trim (feathers) ??

Hello. I have had my Parakeet, Shanti, for about a month now. Before he came to my home I got everything ready, including purchasing special feather trimming shears. I have not opened them, nor have I tried to cut any feathers. I've held my bird several times to get him back in the cage, but now he's way too savvy and I haven't tried touching him in that way since. He allows me to sit close, kiss him on the beak at times, and pet him with a finger when it suits him. He is not ready to be held, apparently, because when I've tried he flies away instantly; I've been thinking we are still new to each other and he is getting used to sharing a space with me. He flies around my apartment and mostly perches on the stand on top of his open cage. I have all blinds down when he is out, to avoid running into windows, and he has yet to have any problems maneuvering his way around our home. (I live in a studio, it is basically one fairly small room.) Here is my question: Am I making a big mistake by not trimming his flight feathers? He seems very happy, and most times in the evening he gets back in his cage to feed or just hang out. I then close up the cage and cover him up for the night. He sometimes doesn't get back in the cage and sleeps on the top, no cover. (It is pretty dark in my place at night.) I want to do the correct thing with my bird and don't know if choosing not to clip wings is considered poor care, or just a matter of choice. I like him flying around, and he appears to have potty trained himself, as he returns to the cage to go to the bathroom. (Very considerate of him, I say.) Please respond to my query, as I'm a newbie to caring for budgies and want to get it right. Thank-you, Jacki
    It's not the end you journey toward, but the journey that matters, in the end. Ursula K. LeGuin

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: To trim or not to trim (feathers) ??

Hi, Jacki, and welcome to the community. I would say you have one special little budgie, and he has settled in nicely. Since you live in a small area, \studio, I see no reason to clip his wings. Wing clipping has to be done correctly, and perfectly, or the bird suffers from not being able to fly at all, not balancing for flight, if wing feathers were not cut properly, and in my view, it takes the heart and soul of the bird because birds were created by God and nature to fly.

Like all birds, budgies love to fly, and if doors are accidentally left open, and they fly out of the home, it is very difficult to catch them. So, I am sure you know to keep him in his cage, if you are going in and our of your home. Also, if it were me, I would keep him in his cage at night, because if he were to get into mischief during the night, while you are sleeping, he could get hurt, or, even electrocuted if he got into electrical wires.

They are super fast, and also very intelligent birds! If possible, let him keep his beautiful wing flights.

We will welcome updates anytime!

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

I echo and endorse every word of Ellen's excellent advice. And what a considerate budgie you have! Wish mine would do the same, but no, they prefer the drapes.
    Last edited by gimaal; 06-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jacki
    Thanks

Thank-you Ellen & Aaron! Appreciate your responses. There is so much to read and learn about taking care of budgies; I'm happy to have some sound advice from actual bird owners/lovers. Nice to learn that I'm apparently not making any huge missteps at the moment. Jacki
    It's not the end you journey toward, but the journey that matters, in the end. Ursula K. LeGuin