Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Anyone can tell me what this sound means?

LOL SUH DUDE Brand New Egg DayeT5N's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone can tell me what this sound means?

My bird is making a weird sound, i want to know what this sound means and if it is a serious problem so that i bring him to the vet.https://youtu.be/IuMU_tPQcqo Here is a video to see my bird.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Anyone can tell me what this sound means?

Hi, and welcome to the community! How old is your precious cockatiel! After listening to your video, I feel that he or she is having respiratory issues. He also seems to be struggling somewhat swallowing, and the sound is a red flag for me. I suggest you call an Avian vet ASAP! All birds hide their illness very cleverly, and can be very ill by the time we get them to the vet. The vet can give him or her an antibiotic to help cute the infection. Taking him for a wellness check is my recommendation.

Thanks

When i got him he was maybe 5 months old (don't remember) at jan 2017, so im guessing he is 3 and a half years old lol.
    He stopped making this sound, but 1 week ago i showered him and he made that exact same sound (at that time i thought some water entered his nose so he made this sound), but yesterday he started making this sound out of the blue, it was weird, definitely going to the vet.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I admire you for taking him into the vet! We will watch for updates.

Thanks

So turns out he got flu, the vet gave me antibiotics and i already have multivitamin, the vet told me i have to give him anitbiotics once a day for 7 days. He is doing better now, but its so crazy how birds can hide their illness! He just acts normally as if he is not sick.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! I know how cleverly they hide illness! It will take awhile, but I feel the meds along with vitamins will heal him! We will watch for your updates.

Thanks

Bruv.. i need some serious help. So today i gave him an antibiotic drop and multivitamin drop, when i gave him the antibiotics i think he swallowed it, but when i gave him the multivitamin drop he started choking so bad, the multivitamin started comming out of his nostrils, he is coughing and sneezing and keeps shaking his head. i immediatly hold him again with a towel and got a tissue and started cleaning his nose to help him clear his nose to breathe better, i did some googling and saw that giving him a steam shower will help him breathe better, and it looks like he loved it alot, he calmed down and now he is sleeping. I was in panic and was about to go to the vet but when he seems to get better i calmed down. I need to know how to give my bird medications orally and i need to not repeat that mistake again lol. Looks like i gave him the drop too fast, and he maybe shaken his head while taking the drop, which lead to aspiration, i am not sure what happened.
    Last edited by DayeT5N; 06-20-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am happy for you he is better. Did the vet say you had to give both the med and vitamin at one time? If not, I suggest giving the med first. Then, wait about a half hour or so and give the vitamin. Then, after about 10-15 minutes give him some water with a clean syringe, or a clean eye dropper.

It probably was too much liquid at once. We will watch for updates. Sounds to me like he is slowly responding to meds and getting better.

Thanks

The vet told me that if the bird is just too hard to deal with when handled with a towel and its hard to give him medication using a syringe, he told me that i can take 100 ml of water, put 7 drops of the antibiotic into his water and some multivitamin drops then give it to him, this way when he drinks some water he will be getting the same dose as one drop of the medication, i am definitely going to be using this way because he just freaks out when i hold him with a towel, he is very tame but not to the extend grabbing him lol. Yesterday i was successful in giving him medication using a drop, this time i was taking everything so slow, and taking my time into ensuring that every bit of the drop is swallowed safely, and it worked! But i think that putting his medication in water is better for him since he freaks out when grabbed. He is getting a lot better now, being talkative and active, will update about him after i finish the medication (when the seven days of giving him medication once a day finishes).

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That was an awesome suggestion from your vet. All birds that have to take meds do not like to be toweled, and like you, I think it just stresses them out more, and prolongs the illness. I am so happy for you that he is improving. We love them so much, and cannot stand to see them being sick. He is doing well and getting better! That is great news! We will welcome updates!!