Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Should I separate a pair or not?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Marta
    Thanks

Exclamation Should I separate a pair or not?

Hello! I'm an amateur birdkeeper... Although I've been doing my research for over two years. However I wasn't expecting to get 2 lovebirds three days ago! They came from a colony and they look fairly young... But I reeaaally wanted to tame them. Should I separate them? They've been living as a pair only for 3 days now, and aside from companionship, they don't treat each other as a bonded couple. I'm not sure of their ages. Please help!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Re: Should I separate a pair or not?

Hi, and welcome to the community. It will take time for them to get used to their new environment and you. I suggest to allow them to be in the same cage, as long as you see no aggression between them. Did the person you got them from give you any history on them? Is that person a breeder? Or did you adopt them.

If they are very young, and under a year old, it will take months for them to mature into adult birds, and they will not appear to act as a bonded pair, especially if they came from two different sets of parents. Hopefully that is the case, because siblings, if a boy and girl together, will begin mating at about 9 to 12 months of age, and you never want to allow birds related to each other to mate, lay eggs, and hatch babies. This can result in deformed babies, that will have special needs.

In my view, it would be a good idea to have them DNA sexed either at an avian vet office, or, order kits on line and do the testing. Then you will know if they are a pair, and you can go online, search for breeding lovebirds, and get great into on what to expect once they have bonded as a pair, aka male and female. If the test were to come out as two females, or two males, you could also house them together, in one cage. However, sometimes two females do not get along very well in one cage, especially if they were to lay eggs, so you may need to have each female in its own cage. Two males in one cage should be fine.

To tame them, I suggest each one have a cage, even though you will probably keep them together. While trading one, then you put the other in a cage, take the one you are going to train in its cage, and take it to a small room in your home such as a bedroom. Be sure to cover windows with blinds or curtains, and take asny mirrors off walls so the birds do not fly into the mirrors.

Begin by taking the bird out of cage, and allowing it to fly around the small room, to get used to being out of cage. Go on line, and or on YouTube, and search for training young lovebirds. There is great info there. Your main goal is to have the bird get used to your hands, holding him or her, and doing hand training such as the step up command. Have some millet sprigs for treats for the birds.

After you have had a training session with bird #1, return him or her, in the cage, to the room where you usually house them. Take bird #2, to the training room, and begin the procedure again.

I would do training daily. You are creating a bond between both birds, which will be of great help in the future. I hope this info is of help to you! We will welcome updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-13-2020 at 10:15 AM.