Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hi! I am birbless in the burbs....

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Red face Hi! I am birbless in the burbs....

Hello,
    I am a Reiki Master and yogi- and I love **all** animals and have had some pet birds as well as helped to rehabilitate wild ones with my mother when I was younger.
    I feel a special kinship with birds and have had my eye on getting a bird for a few years, but I have been really struggling to find local breeders that have the birds I am looking for.
    I thought this might be a good place to ask!
    I am an artist and designer, part of why i love birds so much is their artistic color mutations and beauty... so I am looking for specific and also some rare colors, which is probably partly why I am not having alot of luck! Also some sites will not give you specific photos of the individual birds, which I think is strange as you are picking out a long-term companion!

I am looking for hand raised birds, preferable babies or young, either
    A) Parrotlet (preferably dilute blue/american blue, or blue)
    B) Cockatiel (preferably albino , also interested in white face with some striking pale color mutation like fallow/silver pearl, etc, or dark beak)
    C) Budgie (preferably white lacewing- also interested in spangle white, albino, or other rare and unique colors, like very dilute colors, spangles and opalines, rainbow...)
    In general, for birds i am more interested in white, dilute, and blue or cinnammon colors, not so much yellow or green...

So far I have had no luck with any of these and I have been scouring the interwebs unceasingly.
    Does anyone know of any breeders in New England? I am in the New England area, specifically massachusetts, close to New Hampshire border, but I don/t mind a long drive to northern Connecticut, Maine, RI, NH, etc.
    I have emailed many people and possible breeders, sent some facebook messages- no real luck other than one... a local breeder who had baby parrotlets for sale, but when i contacted her she said she would not have any until Sept. So I am on the waiting list- Worst case I can just wait and get a baby in the fall, but I would love to get one sooner. I could also have one flown to me, but its not my primary choice as I would like to support a local breeder and feel it would be a bit less stressful on a baby animal to just drive home on my lap as opposed to going through an airport. And its not really my ideal given the current situation to be around an airport. Of course its also a bit more expensive, not that it is not worth it.
    I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's birds and learning alot, as I will have to do!
    Any other information will be welcome as well, as this will be my first 'parrot', other than a budgie (I dont own a budgie but I caretake for it after its owner passed, as their spouse wants to keep it but is unable to care for it). I am open to any of the 3 birds i mentioned, and if anyone thinks one is better, do tell me why!
    I have heard that cockatiels are the most affectionate and laid back...? I do feel like i would love a cockatiels personality, and love the way they look at you- they have such an intelligent, human quality. But parrotlets are just so so cute, and seem so outgoing and playful and funny....and the colors!
    However at this point i feel like whatever i can find first will be pretty good.
    Thanks!
    opalwings

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Hi! I am birbless in the burbs....

Hi, and welcome to the community. I would suggest you call various avian vets in your area, and ask if they know of breeders in your area, for the birds you list in your post. Also, call bird rescues, or bird adoption agencies in your area. They too may be able to give you names of breeders.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I will do that for sure. Wonderful ideas!
    Hopefully I will be posting with birdies soon. Thanks again.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

We will welcome your updates, as to whether you had success. With the current status of the corona virus, I do not know how private bird breeders, petshops, etc., are handling that situation as to visitors to their businesses or rescues, but at least you hopefully can get some info by calling the ones I recommended.

Sadly, we live in a completely different life situation now, and there is no normal as we once knew it. I do hope you have success of some kind. If bird rescues or adoption agencies would allow you to take one of their birds, do not hesitate, because some of the most beautiful and loving birds come from these organizations.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Hi! I am birbless in the burbs....

Hello...
    well, I was having such a hard time finding a bird that I finally just started calling Petsmarts for budgies... even though I would prefer to have used a breeder I couldnít find anyone local that had anything but normals.
    Apparently the albinos sell so fast..., I finally located one and drove to pick it up. It hadnít sold yet because to be quite honest it looked a bit dirty and ragged, poor little thing. It also had a weird black thing crusted on its beak. It was the quietest one and just sat there chilling.
    Her poor tail feathers looked like another bird had been chewing on them , I have seen this with other pet store albinos.
    It didnít look ďsickĒ... cere and vent looked ok... just exhausted and raggedy .
    The fact that it didnít look in pristine condition and obviously no one wanted it actually made me want to take it home more so I couldnít help myself. I believe that with a good diet and enough love and tlc any animal can be Healthy happy and beautiful !
    So I brought little Lotus home yesterday... and I think it may be a female because it seems to have whitish rings around the nostrils however I could be mistaken .
    She (for now), has been totally still and quiet the past day. Iíve heard that is normal.
    She will eat millet from my hand after much coaxing and I did get her to step up and she accepted one neck scritchy, and once she thought about flying to my hand, but then changed her mind. little one is still obviously very stressed out of course and easily overwhelmed by any sound at all.
    She finally chirped today at some birds outside but it sounded more like she was calling for help!
    The only time she seems happy is when sheís eating millet and right after she has had her fill, she grinds her beak which is cute.
    Of course I canít just give her millet all day- I try to limit to a small amount. But she pouts when I take it away and goes back into statue mode. I know itís relatively normal but it is hard to endure as she looks so pathetic and sad...
    the black thing on her beak Is gradually going away the more she eats and pecks at things. Iím hoping the cuttlebone will help.
    I overdid it today inadvertently as she finally started roaming around the cage and looked like she wanted out so badly- so I let her out to her play gym... complete with toys, millet, bath.., she was totally overwhelmed by it and just sat there paralyzed, then flew on the floor and was so scared she wouldnít move. I had to scoop her up, but she stayed on my hand. I think I need to take it more slowly with her ...(or him??) ��
    So thatís the story of my new baby!
    I hope I did the right thing taking her in. My mom always taught me to look for the healthy active beautiful ones but I couldnít resist this little ragamuffin.
    After getting her home, the feathers look worse than they did in the shop. There is a green spot where It looks like she had food smushed into her feathers. They also look very thin... however she seems to have alot of those baby feathers in her wing? hoping with time she will come out of her shell and grow a new set of healthy feathers. Now Iím also seeing that her vent does not look so clean either ... however maybe thatís just loose poops from the stress of the move?
    I have three cages (two are on the way ), a big play gym, way too many toys etc!
    However she is interested in nothing at this point... so just waiting...
    Since itís my first official budgie, I would welcome any advice or tips especially as
    She just doesnít seem like the healthiest thing ever. I would also love to know if anyone can tell the age- or if she is going to Moult... things like that I am totally ignorant still. I can post a few pics- the cere looks blue in many pics but irl it is a distinct lavender with slightly whitish nostrils , but not as white as some Iíve seen.
    For anyone who reads this- Thank you for being a part of her journey!!!
    (Also want to mention I was not thrilled about going to the pet store but they were all taking good precautions and I wore gloves and mask - very few people there and I did curbside pickup for all other supplies - one Petco i called said they were holding birds for a while before selling them to watch them for any sickness for at least a few weeks)
    Does she look ok???
    Edit: she finally started preening this evening which is very heartening.
    Last edited by opalwings; 07-02-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! She or he is absolutely beautiful! With white mutations, it is difficult to sex them, because the beaks are not the usual standard blue color as most males, and it is too early to know as yet. You really made the right decision to bring him or her home. Sometimes baby birds are hatched with some black on their beak, although that usually happens with lovebirds.

As to the sort of scruffy feathers, that can happen because of the number of birds in the retail cage, or in an aviary setting. On occasion, an older budgie will pick on a new one, or even be a bully. Provide cuttlebone and some fresh leaf lettuce, and cilantro, along with a good seed mix. Some owners feed pellets. Personally, I do not feed them, because they are manmade foods, and are very dry. A budgie needs to consume lots of water everyday while on pellets, and budgies do not drink a lot of water so, that can cause very dry poops, and also, I have read they can have neurological problems eating pellets. In my view, they are too small of a bird for pellets. Also, do not feed any raw cabbage, parsley, kale, or any cabbage family veggies, to him or her, because I once had a budgie that died, feeding those fresh veggies, and found an article on line, that said they can cause esopohogal tumors, and my budgie died because he could not swallow. The millet seed is fine to feed newly homes budgies, until they have settled into the new home. I would be sure to get him or her used to seeds as well. Then, when they are eating seeds well, use the millet for treats only. Budgies love millet.

For just bringing her home, she is doing great. Often times it takes days or weeks to even touch them. I suggest when you have him out of cage, to be sure to let him fly and get used to your home, in a room where there are no mirrors on walls, windows closed, and blinds pulled. And no ceiling fans running. They can get caught in the fzn blades, and fly into the windows or mirrors.

Also, be sure there is no water in sinks they could fly into, or any stoves heating, in kitchen. They also can get zapped by electric cords, and can fall behind furniture and get injured.

I think a play gym is awesome, because once they get used to it, they do not fly around the home as much. They are as fast as lightening, so be sure to never have doors open, or screen doors open when they are out of cage. Once they get out of the house, it is almost impossible to catch them!

I have homed budgies for many, many years, and for decades, most of us went to a pet shop to get one. I have had good luck with both Petsmart, and Petco over the years. I think sometimes they get a bum wrap, because there are breeders that sometimes are not the best either. It is rare to ever see a bird like you have found in a petshop. You sure were lucky to find her or him.

Please stop by often and give us updates. Budgies are special, loving, and active little parrots that love to eat, drink, play with their mirror friends. .a mirror or two is a must, and also a swing.

My budgie, Muffin is 9 years old. He has been blind for two years, but that does not stop him. He can navigate his cage, find his girlfriends, eat, drink, talk and sing anyway. And...he came from Petsmart!

You will love being on the journey with this beautiful budgie!! Enjoy each day with him or her!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-04-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Hope your new avian friend is settling in.

On my monitor I cannot determine if the eye color is black or red/plum. If the eyes are red/plum you indeed have an albino. If the eyes are black, you have a double factor spangle. A single factor spangle would be blue with white wings that have gray tracing on them (the 'spangle'). But when the spangle gene appears twice in a budgie, a blue bird becomes solid white, and a green bird becomes solid yellow. In every way these birds look like albinos or lutinos EXCEPT for eye color.

If the photo is representing the cere color accurately, you've got a young boy there.

As far as the bird's condition, he could be moulting, or as Ellen says, he could have been roughed up a bit by his cage mates in the shop. Either way, a wellness visit to an avian vet might be a good idea both for the bird and to put your mind at ease.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

P.S. I forgot to mention--

Is that a 'sandpaper' wrap on a plastic perch? Both should be removed. Give your budgie natural wood perches of different thicknesses to exercise the feet. Plastic perches can cause bumble foot and the sandpaper wraps are dangerous both to the feet and to the health of the bird if he ingests the glue.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Hello! Thank you all for the words of encouragement and great advice.
    Lotus is doing better gradually, has become obsessed with a Cat Palm I have and wants to sit in it all the time. So cute! I researched bird safe plants and had to kick out alot of my plants!
    Maxollie so fun to hear about Muffin, he sounds like a special little guy. I can't believe he is blind and manages to get around, thats amazing.
    What you said makes alot of sense, it kind of looks like it was picked on / tailfeathers chewed a little...The other ones in the cage looked fine. Oddly enough ive seen that before with albino being the only ragged chewed on bird in the cage- makes me wonder if they get picked on more because they stand out
    Thats so interesting about pellet, I heard the opposite from sources online! They said pellets are much more nutrition dense etc etc... however Lotus hates them and just flings them everywhere so I ground them up and sprinkled them mixed with seed feed. Do you think thats ok?
    Thank goodness Lotus is drinking water, but as you said- the millet fixation. She/he only wants to eat millet from my hand, and now also likes Avi-Cakes, from the hand. Spoiled baby will now just sit there and chirp at me until I hand feed it. Does not want to touch the food bowls or cups, even when I put avi cakes and millet in them. I figure since its so young and new, and in shock, its ok to spoil it for a little bit... ? I am enjoying babying it so I don't mind.

I am caretaking another male budgie named Puffy next door whose owner recently passed away- her elderly husband is still there but is disabled and cant take care of the bird, however he loves having it there , its a comfort to him. Puffy is a little crazy and also has mirror girlfriends that he is obsessed with to the exclusion of any other living being!!! I worry about him not having a buddy as I am unable to devote the amount of time to him i think is proper for such a social bird, since i don't live there. thinking about starting the process of getting him a friend. It is rumoured that he killed his last flock mate (his own brother!), LOL, I have no idea if that's true but his mom seemed to think so. Now he just mutters to his friends in the mirrors, poor little thing. I cant get him to come out of the cage or do anything unless i am physically holding his favorite mirror and dried greens treats. Otherwise he thinks I'm trying to murder him.
    I would love any tips for him as well

Gimaal, its hard to say with the eyes... they look awfully dark but in certain lighting they do seem reddish...
    Thanks for the tip about perches. The cage Lotus was in was a travel cage that I borrowed from Puffy, our next door budgie neighbor. The real cage has a grapevine perch, wooden perches, a sisal bendy perch, and a cholla perch- the cholla is a sand or pumice perch. I also have sand covers that I have not put on yet, but was thinking to put a few on because I had been told that pumice and sand perches are good since they trim the nails and beak- Lotus' nails are super long and her beak was funky at the time although its better now.
    So is this not the case? Should I get rid of all sandpaper? Should i get rid of the cholla pumice perch? Are there any perches that are safe that trim nails - do you hand trim your budgies? SHould I get more grapevine/ java wood perches? I only have one.
    Thanks so much, sorry for all the questions- I definitely don't want it to get bumblefoot, i don't know what that is but it doesn't sound good, even if it does sound like a cute Hobbit name.

Thanks so much and would love to hear about all of your budgies / birds as well. I think i have the bird bug for sure.
    PS: i know its hard to tell so im not too worried, but since you mentioned it: in the pics below, does the cere still look like a male to you, G? this pic is more representative of the color, lavendar, however it was looking whitish around the nostrils but in this light when you get close it is almost more like a light blue around the nostrils. interestingly it looks diff. in different lights...and almost seems to change imperceptibly by the day!!

https://ibb.co/nm482wW
    https://ibb.co/CJ0t2x3
    Last edited by opalwings; 07-05-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thanks for the great updates! Lotus is doing FAB, in my view. There is always a debate on the forums about pellets. Grinding may be the answer for you. I suggest also providing the fresh veggies I mentioned. They will help to keep the poops moist. The avicakes are also a great treat. It really is up to the caregiver to decide what to feed. It is great to get ideas from others as well.

Budgies love music, and I always left a radio turned on low volume when I was working in the daytime. They also like Seasame Street. They like Disney as well. There is something about those sounds that perk their interest. I often play my keyboard piano for my Muffin and Penny. Penny is a two year old male cockatiel. Each has their own cage. Penny also loves music, and the TV programs I mentioned. He whistles Mickey Mouse Song, and If you are happy and you know it!! He is very intelligent. When I first got him, I taught him how to beak rhythms on the cage floor, or his food or water cup. He knows exactly what he beaks each time. And I use a jar lid to repeat what he beaks! And if I don't do it as he did, he quits the competition, and goes back to his perch! Lololol. I have homed cockatiels over the last 20 years, and he is the smartest one I have ever had in my home. Muffin learned at a young age, to say..whatcha doing, are you doing OK? Lolol. I said that to him all the time, so much so he learned it. He too chatters and listens to words I speak. I got my first budgie when I was 10 years old. He lived 9 years. That was back years and years ago. Back in that day, a budgie had a very small cage, and only ate seeds and drank water. We did not feed fresh veggies to them back then. Now, there are all kinds of foods, seeds and toys for them!

I have heard of birds fighting with each other, but rarely do they die. But when birds do have aggressive behavior, they need to be separated from each other. I think females are more prone to aggression when they are laying eggs and setting on them.

I think you could consider getting Puffy a friend, but it would need to be an older budgie. He would dominate a baby one I believe. Quite honestly, it is not a good idea to keep siblings together after they are hatched. Males and females can mate, which may result in deformed, disabled, or special needs birds, due to being siblings.

We will watch for updates anytime you can provide them! I would love to read them.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-05-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Wow thanks so much for the reply , your birds sound so intelligent ! Obviously you are a great parent. A cockatiel was another one of my choices but I wasn’t able to find one locally and just wasn’t sure about having one shipped cross country although I’m sure it’s not that bad... anyway they are adorable!!!! Loved reading about muffin and penny.
    Will update soon, thanks for the great advice! You are helping enhance their lives.
    Oh by the way.. should I remove the cholla wood sand perch? She/he seems to really love it for some reason but I’m worried now about the sand hurting the feet- I could swap it for a plain cholla perch?
    Last edited by opalwings; 07-05-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

If it's a sandpaper wrap, yes, remove it. Pumice-type perches are fine since there's no paper and glue to chew. There's a 'safety' pumice perch that is popular with budgie folks--it's called 'sweet feet', I believe, and has pumice on the sides, to trim nails, but is smooth on top so as not to irritate the foot. It's commonly available on line and in stores.

And yes, I still see a boy.

If the eyes were red, you'd know it. And after seeing these new pics I'm quite sure Lotus is a double factor spangle. And boy what a few days of good care can do--he's looking so much better.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the replies! I was relieved to hear that s/he looked better. Lotus is doing *so* much better, has been preening and feathers are finally looking pretty nice! i think a moulting is coming on since i see some telltale "whiskers" here and there. Doing "step up" very nicely and accepting foot touches and very delicate neck touches, but not without a sideways glance.
    took out all sand perches and the cholla wood was also made with sand and glue i realized from inspecting it so out it goes.
    The second cage arrived today... Lotus has been loving the bigger cages so much... Swinging on the swings (obsessed with swings) and lots of beak grinding.
    The thing is now he/she does not want to leave the cages at all! Except to perhaps move from one to the other.... Does not want to be outside the cages, tries to fly back right away, and is terrified of play gym...I guess it may just take time. Im letting it stay in the cages for now since it seems so happy.
    Still very jumpy, any noise, even a far off motorcycle, causes worry for Lotus. Also s/he is only really active if I put a light sheet over the cage during the day so I think still not completely comfy around people. Without a sheet, its Very tame but acts 'boring' and 'sleepy', often frozen in one position for a long time.
    Im not directly calling it him not because I dont trust your expertise, but because I have another friend here who has been raising budgies and she thinks its a female. So I dont know what to think!

It is still very quiet and doesnt chirp or chortle, but grinds the beak and when it wants millet, it will give a big chirp, and sometimes make the clicking popping noise that millet makes when its being crunched on. So smart!

I just have some Q's about loud chirping if anyone has advice.
    it sometimes will get super excited/ agitated and chirp loudly and BUZZ and get very restless in the cage. Not a polite "i want millet", but sounding more like a loud call or cry.
    Usually this happens when:
    A)the wild sparrows that have a nest right by the house are flying by the bedroom window-she will go crazy. I cant really help that since in the summer our whole house sounds like a bird sanctuary with all the birds, some of them nesting under the roof or in bushes right by the house, and a hawk that perches on the roof....Im assuming its healthy for her to try to talk to her wild friends, and it certainly gives her something to listen to?
    B) i am on a zoom call, Facetime call, or watching youtube tutorial where someones face is shown talking. She HATES THIS! lol! SUper loud chain chirps and that angry buzzy sound... i have to leave the room or turn it off, then she is fine.
    C) My nephew is living with us and he is like 6'4". Lotus is so terrified of him that if he even comes in a room its in it starts the angry sounds and thrashes around the cage in fright. I think its because he is so tall? he towers over its cage and is just a big looming figure in general, built like a football player. Poor thing is terrified of him and wont calm down until he leaves the room! He even tried to give it millet and it flew haphazardly all over the cage. I felt so bad...the poor little sweetheart

Anyway Im trying to feel out what is normal happy sound and what is upset sounds. I want it to be comfy and happy and already I am so attached to Lotus that when it does this I feel very protective and unsettled, trying to figure out how to calm it down or what it wants/needs.
    The other problem spot I have, and im sure this will get better, but when I was taking Lotus out to play (now it wont even go...) the little thing would get so overwhelmed that it would just take flight and land on the floor somewhere, then looking scared, walk under some piece of furniture. SIGH.... I would be unable to bribe it out even with millet and eventually had to scoop up gently. Will stay on my hand for hours in the cage, but outside, Has no interest in sitting on me unless actively eating. Otherwise its very restless and scared and wants to fly, but when it flies, it just falls in some random place usually on the floor. Is this normal?

Sorry for the huge update probably more than anyone wants to know. I feel like a parent that cant stop talking about their baby!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Being out of cage at first overwhelms them because there is such a bigger space to explore, and they just fly everywhere. The play gym works well because when setting it up, you can use your imagination to put seeds, treats, toys, etc. on it they like, and does help keep them from flying somewhat. But we know that birds were created by nature to fly, and flying is their happiness of life.

Is there a small room in your home that you and Lotus could spend time together. Then, the flying space of the whole home is limited. It is safer as well. And you can do some training too! Could you put the play gym in that room as well? I would suggest allowing a couple of hours a day for out of cage flying. They do not need to be out of cage constantly. Perhaps an hour in the am, and an hour in the pm would work.

A sheet over three sides of the cage with front side open, and at night, all four sides covered, with just a small space on cage front open is a good idea. Birds are prone to having night frights on occasion, and the sheet helps to prevent them. They are very attuned to the outside environment, both day and night. That is why Lotus gets all excited when hearing outside birds. I think, in time, she will mellow somewhat from her current behavior. Living in a home with people is a brand new experience for her. I think she already is doing marvelous, having been with you such a short time! And...YES.....budgies love their swings and mirror friends!!!

The loud chirps are flock calling sounds. All budgies and other caged birds consider their caregiver to be their mate, so those loud chirps are saying....where are you, or, come here, etc!! They love our undivided attention. However, it is a good idea to teach them alone time in a cage is fine too, because if we spoil them too much, just like a baby, they will never be happy, expecting us to be with them all the time.
    Last edited by maxollie; Today at 11:11 AM.