Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pip at day 16 and 17?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Pip at day 16 and 17?

Hi there

I've been reading the forum on and off for a few of years but never joined in so, let me just say thank you for everyone for posting valuable views.

My cockatiels have been sitting on their eggs religiously (it's their first time) for 20 days, the very old egg seems to be DIS (egg shell have grey patches all over it) and it died at a very late stage (was perfectly fine until a week ago).

The other two eggs are lively and kicking and are both peeping and pipped.

My question is around the pipping part and to see how long it takes for them to zip after the first pip.

Egg 1 pipped yesterday (on day 17) around 10 in the morning and until now haven't moved much at all. Last I checked a few minutes ago and it had only gone a couple of mms.
    Egg 2 pipped today around 11am (on day 16) and haven't moved much yet but I understand it's still early for it.

I thought pipping on day 16 and 17 is a bit early? Also how long does it take for them to zip after the first pip as egg 1 hasn't moved much in 34 hours.

Like the birds, it's my first time too so I just wanted to make sure I'm doing what's necessary.

Birds do have a bath bowl but aren't interested in them for some reason.

It was very hot for last 2-3 days here in London and I'm not sure if that has changed/triggered the hatch timing?

I'm sorry if i'm all over the place in the post but I just wanted to see if everything is normal.

I have attached the pictures of the eggs with pip marks showing if that helps.

Thank you in advance.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Re: Pip at day 16 and 17?

Hi, and welcome to the community! Congrats on the eggs. Here is a website that has an excellent explanation.
    www.beautyofbirds.com/cockatielshatching.html

Also, if you cannot get the info with that URL, then search as follows:

Beauty of birds. Hatching cockatiel chicks and their first days of development.

It says 18-21 days, until hatch, but you are very close to it. To me, pipping means actually breaking the shell so, your babies should be doing that soon. And you will also hear the babies peeping in the shell!

Good luck! We will welcome updates!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community! Congrats on the eggs. Here is a website that has an excellent explanation.
    www.beautyofbirds.com/cockatielshatching.html

Also, if you cannot get the info with that URL, then search as follows:

Beauty of birds. Hatching cockatiel chicks and their first days of development.

It says 18-21 days, until hatch, but you are very close to it. To me, pipping means actually breaking the shell so, your babies should be doing that soon. And you will also hear the babies peeping in the shell!

Good luck! We will welcome updates!

Thank you for your reply

I thought the shell have been broken I think you can see it in the photos.
    The website you mentioned, says it takes "It takes from a few hours to two days to peck all the way around it". It will be 48 hours tomorrow morning (for egg 1), if baby hasn't pecked around the egg, do I need to assist?

Thank you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Update. So we decided to help it as it had been more than 38 hours. Got everything ready (heatpad etc) picked up the egg 1 and it looked like the pip marked have become bigger. Gave it to Mrs to check and baby just pipped as she was looking.

Within 5 minute the baby zipped its way out of the egg as if it was scared of us assisting it. Iím really happy that it all happened by itself.

Welcome to this gorgeous little fur all.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You made a great decision by assisting as you did! Awww!! The baby is precious, and the parents are beautiful!! Congrats!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for your help. Another one was born the next night. They're all happy and snuggly

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awesome!!! Soooo happy for you! We will watch for updates!