Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lovebird Chicks

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Lovebird Chicks

Hi there, recently my masked lovebirds' eggs have hatched. They have 4 chicks, the eldest hatched 9 days ago, followed by another 8 days ago, then another 5 days ago, and then just recently, the last egg hatched 2 days ago. I've noticed that the chicks are very dirty and i'm just wondering if it's normal for them to look like this. Below them is especially dirty too. They've been feeding them fine, I give them water spinach, corn, and seeds. I've tried banana and apples but they refuse to even look at the banana slices and apple slices. They seem to be feeding the chicks just fine... I'm a little worried about the younger chick as a chick before him hatched but died the day after... I found him opened up (maybe by the parents?) and his neck had holes in it. But so far the parents are feeding him too. I check on him to make sure that he isn't crushed underneath his much older and bigger siblings and that he's doing fine. What should I do with the dirtiness? Here's a link to a photo of them
    https://pasteboard.co/JfqEuv6.jpg

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Lovebird Chicks

Oh my goodness they do look really dirty in the picture. I wonder if it is food that is getting all over them? I hope someone with knowledge of babies will let you know what to do about them being so covered with food or worse poop. I also hope the little one that was injured is going to be OK.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community! Congrats on the babies hatching. Where is this nest box located? Is it inside the home, or outside in a cage or aviary? To be very honest with you, I really fear for all the babies lives in that dirty box. Do you know what that ivory colored stuff is on their heads and body? If it were poop, I think there would be green color mixed in with it.

I suggest that you immediately call a bird rescue, or animal and bird hospital, and an avian vet in your area, and ask them if you could send this picture to them, and hopefully they will tell you what to do. I suggest getting input from all of them.

It is always recommended to not disturb a nest box, or the parents and babies, but in this case you have to address the problem immediately. I feel you will need a new nest box, and will have to clean up the babies, but first, call all of the above I mentioned, ASAP!!!

Please update letting us know what you find out. Also ask them, what, if any, nesting material to use.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-30-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Name
    Stephane
    Thanks

Hello, look like poop to me, I think the female probably have diarrea.
    Try to stop banana and spinach and tell us if you can notice a difference.

You did not mention it but did you give themegg food ?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi, it seems like they've gotten much better after just 2 days. I cleaned out their nest box and gave them a new layer of bedding. During the change, I wiped them down with a damp napkin and wiped off their eyes since they've just begun to open up. The younger one seemed to have passed last night, i'm not sure why... It could've been because he hatched too late and wasn't as strong as the others. Not sure. While cleaning them off, i noticed that it is in fact poop.. The damp napkin gave off the green colour to it but I didn't want to keep them out for too long so mostly just wiped it off of their heads the best I could in a short amount of time. It seems to be going off naturally as they were much worse before but i'll keep a close eye on them. They've been going through their food and cuttlefish very quickly, but I haven't fed them eggshells yet. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the input, i'll check in again if they look sick, so far they look healthy, just that they got really dirty. Here's a link to photos of the 3 chicks afterwards
    https://pasteboard.co/JfCjbp8.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/JfCjI60.jpg

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Awww!! The baby is precious! I think the box and babies do look much better. Stephane, who replied to you is what I call a "master" bird care owner! He has several different species of parrots, and you can trust every word he writes you about bird care. As to the baby that died, sometimes they just are too fragile to make it, and being the last to hatch, the parents do their best to feed all babies.

We will watch for updates!