where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My Bird's Rope Perch Dangerous?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rachel Fernandez
    Thanks

My Bird's Rope Perch Dangerous?

Hello! This is my first time posting a forum so please excuse me if I make any mistakes

I'm concerned my green cheek conure might choke on the threads of her favorite rope perch. Today I noticed that when she gets in her cage she starts biting it, and I'm afriad that she might swallow one of the threads of her perch and choke, and possibly die. I'm torn because it is her favorite perch, and seems the most comfortable compared to the other natural wood perches. She spends most of her time on it. However, she is biting it and I know that could lead to serious injuries.

I was wondering if I could get your comment on what I might do. I've removed it for now. I feel bad, but maybe it's for the best.

Thank you for helping me! I really appreciate it. Thank you!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,304 Posts

Re: My Bird's Rope Perch Dangerous?

Hi, and welcome to the community. I feel you made the right decision to remove the rope perch. Birds just naturally like stringy things to chew, but the threads can get caught in the esophagus, or ball up in the stomach, making it impossible for them to poop. Threads of any kind are dangerous for birds, in my view.

I am sure someone will see your post, and suggest something natural for you. Your bird will get used to the wooden perch until you can get more info. Do a Google search.....safe rope porches for parrots. Also....making safe perches for green cheek conures.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-08-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rachel Fernandez
    Thanks

Okay. Awesome! I'll research some more perches for her. Thank you for responding! It really helped

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We had to take out our conures rope perch as well because he was chewing the strings too and no doubt it is so bad for them and can impact their crops with strings because there bodies do not digest strings. Tikki got use to not having his rope perch and uses his new platform perch that we replaced his rope perch with. We bought this one, https://www.amazon.com/Mrli-Pet-Cock...Z1490BETMW71SV

He also has a big cage so we cut some of our manzanita bush limbs and put a few of these in there as well. We had to rough up the bark of the manzanita because it is super slippery and Tikki would slide off the perch because he hops around so fast. Another really good perch but is super expensive is a manu clay perch. It is a great mineral for the birds to eat so it does not matter if they nibble on it other then it is expensive to replace once they eat too much of it
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rachel Fernandez
    Thanks

Ah okay. Thank you. Sorry I responded so late I didn't think anyone else was going to respond! I'll check out that platform perch and the manu clay perch. Thank you for responding!!