Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Help!

Hey there,
    My dad had to get rid of our family bird because his allergies so I took him in. He's a cockatiel, named Fergie, and probably about 12. I live in a loft above a garage, little bachelor suite. My landlord smokes in the garage and I can smell it every time she has a cigarette. I know it's bad for him, I keep my windows open in the summer. But that's not good enough. Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to find a new place to live?
    I'm stuck.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Help!

Smoke is not good for birds and if at all possible I would close the windows in your loft if you smell it but sometimes it isnt possible to do it all the time. I hate to say this but my sister had a little budgie I gave to her live to be 15 years old and she smoked in her house with this little budgie all its life. I am not at all saying it is perfectly fine to do this and I personally would never subject a bird to live in that smoke but they do and can live with it. It couldnt be good for them but some birds like my sisters actually seemed to be not phased by it.

Have you ever talked to to your landlord to see if they could possibly move a little bit away from your window so your bird does not have to smell it so badly? One good thing is all the smoke isnt coming into the window but still who wants to smell stinky cigarette smoke coming into there house, sorry you have to deal with this.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Keep the bird away from the smoke. It won't last if you don't act on it. https://electronichealthreporter.com...nd-healthcare/

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Birds lungs are tiny and the last thing you need right now is to expose Fergie to smoke. I feel for you! It seems like your stuck between a rock and hard place. Was your landlord always a smoker? I hope your landlord is an understanding person in regards to the health of Fergie. Some landlords would probably say if you don't like it, then move, other landlords prohibit smoking in rental properties. I wish I had some better advice to give you. Hard to confront someone about their cigarette smoking, especially when they own the property..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011