Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie family Disfunction. HELP!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Budgie family Disfunction. HELP!

Hi!
    I have a month old chick hatched by first time parents. About two weeks ago, the mom started attacking the dad every time he went down to feed or check on the chick. So I put him in a cage alone. Does the Dad ever feed the chicks? I heard that at about fledge time he takes over. The mom seems to be getting irritated and quite screechy with the chick. She still feeds it but doesn't act like she can stand it a lot longer! I wonder should I put the chick in with the dad and see if he is more tolerant?
    If not, when do I put the chick by itself? I was hoping to have them all together in the same big cage but is that feasible?

I am very grateful for any advice.

PS. This baby is as big as its Mom!

Thank you
    Kathy C in San Antonio

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Budgie family Disfunction. HELP!

Hi, Kathy and welcome to the community. Usually, the male regurgitates his seed to the mouth of the female, and she feeds the babies afterwards. I imagine the mom is wishing for dad to be back helping to feed. On occasion the female does get aggressive, and then you have the current problem.

Have you considered handfeeding the baby? You are getting close to the baby fledging, and it can then be put in a smaller cage, by itself. In a month or so, you could then put the baby in with parents, but in my view, the baby will do better in a separate cage, because of the problem you have had with dad. That could continue. It really is better for the baby to be in its own cage for the long term. Because, as it gets older, you do not want either of the parents, depending upon which sex it will be, mating with the parent. And then if you allow those eggs to hatch they could be deformed babies, or special needs babies because the birds are related to each other.

You can get a can of baby bird formula in a pet store. Also get a plastic syringe. Then, go on YouTube and search for handfeeding baby budgies. There is great info there.

I would let the baby be in the small cage, and handfeed it early morning, at noon, and at night about 6 pm, before bedtime. I think it would be safer to keep baby in its own cage, for fear either parent might hurt it at night.

Keep baby cage covered three sides, with front side open, in the daytime, with a lightweight throw, this is especially important because the baby needs to be kept from air conditioner drafts. At night. I would cover all four sides of cage with about 3-4 inches of bottom of front not covered, put baby cage in your bedroom at night, and leave a night light close to the cage.

The baby is old enough now to begin eating seeds as well as the baby bird formula. I would first feed the baby bird formula, and then handfeed a few seeds each time. Let baby eat out of your hands. That will get baby socialized to not be afraid of hands. Every week you will see baby wanting to eat more seeds. Millet seeds along with regular budgie seed is a good feed as well. Once baby is eating seeds and drinking water well, then use millet seeds for treats only. And after a few weeks, once baby is eating well, you can discontinue the formula, and begin feeding fresh veggies and fruits and pieces of whole-wheat bread too!

In daytime, set baby cage close by parents cage. No doubt.you will be seeing parents mating again soon. This is typical behavior. A pair always has mating, eggs, and babies on their mind.

So, this too, is another good reason to have baby in its own cage. I hope this information is of help to you. We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-20-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Thanks, Ellen! So kind of you. I am going to do just what you suggested. I already have the feeding mix as I secretly hoped I'd get that experience. I have the dad in a small cage and will transfer the baby to it. I have been holding it and letting it perch on my finger in the cage. So, it will be great to tame it even more by hand feeding. I have noticed him eating seed I put on the bottom of the cage.
    I don't want the mom to have another clutch of eggs yet. So that's a big question and I have read some suggestions on that topic but if you have had luck delaying egg laying, I'd appreciate it!
    Thanks a million!
    Kathy

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Well, quite honestly, Mother Nature doesn't delay egg laying!!! lol Budgies can be into mating ALOT of the time. But you can boil any eggs, and give them back to hen, or replace real ones with dummy eggs you can buy at the pet shop. And, once you get the baby into its own cage, then immediately take out the nest box in the parents cage. And also, never use any happy huts, or tents, or coconut shell toys where they can sit in them, because they all encourage egg laying. Also, do not feed bread or soft or cooked foods to them. Nor any eggs, or egg foods. Sometimes there are egg foods dried, in budgie seed mix. Check the package before you buy the mix.

Any eggs that might be laid cannot just be thrown away. The hen has to have either the boiled eggs or dummy eggs for 21-25 days, so place them in the corner of the cage bottom...either the boiled or dummies...and let her nest with them there, until she no longer shows interest in them. And then remove them from the cage. Throw boiled ones away, and wash the dummies with warm vinegar water. And save them until the next time she lays eggs.

We will watch for updates. Your baby will absolutely be your best friend forever. And love the handfeeding, and socializing. It will be a great journey for both of you...and mom and dad will be happy together as well!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-21-2020 at 01:14 PM.